Injury Report: 2013-2014 Injury Update Thread III [MOD Warning post 218]

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Reading into this a bit much probably, but the fact that they compared the two situations suggests a bit that maybe it was a concussion that Barrie suffered. Maybe they just meant in a general sense, because Barrie certainly didn't seem to play like a guy who just had a minor concussion. Maybe he's just that badass though.

I thought I heard somewhere it was more whiplash than concussion.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Yeah I think Barrie gave that quote to someone not from the Denver Post.

With Mitchell I think once you are officially out with a concussion you need to go through the protocol. Get symptom free, then ride the bike, then skate, then practice. So it's known that it takes at least a week or whatever. So I don't think it's alarming that he's out for tomorrow. And I also agree if things keep going well then might be wise to hold on Duchene and Mitchell. Probably wouldn't consider them until game 4/5 anyway. We'll see if they make the trip. Win tomorrow and they probably won't.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Hadn't heard that. Only that it was upper body, and possibly even a shoulder. Certainly doesn't seem anything to worry about because he was playing with more confidence then he ever has in his whole career the other night, which when you think about it is kinda crazy since it was both his first playoff game, and he was coming off a whiplash/concussion.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Hadn't heard that. Only that it was upper body, and possibly even a shoulder. Certainly doesn't seem anything to worry about because he was playing with more confidence then he ever has in his whole career the other night, which when you think about it is kinda crazy since it was both his first playoff game, and he was coming off a whiplash/concussion.

I heard whiplash as well from somewhere.
Anyway I agree. Really aggressive and confident play by Barrie.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well that both sucks and is smart...

Sucks because we could obviously use him, but they've got to be smart, can't rush him back and risk an even more serious injury

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If Duchene is unlikely for game 7, how likely is he for the beginning of round 2 even?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If you go exactly 4 weeks from the injury, Duchene would miss the first 5 games. Him being out another week or so after that and missing the entire series wouldn't be surprising.

I also wouldn't put it past Roy to be playing some mind games. So you never know....

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If you go exactly 4 weeks from the injury, Duchene would miss the first 5 games. Him being out another week or so after that and missing the entire series wouldn't be surprising.

I also wouldn't put it past Roy to be playing some mind games. So you never know....

Yeah, still don't get it. If they are in a game 7 situation and it's been 4.5 weeks of recovery they are not going to put Duchene in? I understand if he hasn't skated they don't want to just throw him in, they have to be smart. Then again game 7 is game 7, you know? Roy has been pretty honest but I don't know, something still seems weird to me. I don't even think it's optimism, more logic.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Anyone else wondering if the injury is more serious than originally projected?
No, I think people here were just too optimistic because of how quickly Parenteau was able to come back from his two MCL injuries.

It was always a 4-6 week injury. We can't be shocked if he doesn't come back at the absolute beginning of the range given.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I'm sure it's more serious and won't be surprised if he misses the entire playoff run even if the AVS play several rounds. The fact is, he's not even skating yet. Also, someone here said last week that Duchene was in a restaurant and had trouble walking around. That's not good.

He wasn't even there for the "jerseys off our backs" ceremony unlike other injured players.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, still don't get it. If they are in a game 7 situation and it's been 4.5 weeks of recovery they are not going to put Duchene in? I understand if he hasn't skated they don't want to just throw him in, they have to be smart. Then again game 7 is game 7, you know? Roy has been pretty honest but I don't know, something still seems weird to me. I don't even think it's optimism, more logic.

They didn't say exactly 4 weeks, it's a rough time frame. So it could have just been an optimistic outlook. PAP had the same injury and was supposed to be out 4-6 weeks. He ended up coming back earlier but maybe Duchene's recovery is going slower and he's closer to 6 weeks.

Game 7 or not, he shouldn't be playing unless he's 100%.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He hasn't been around at all, that's weird. He wasn't at the jersey ceremony and nobody has seen him at the facility or games, that's not typical. Injured players are around. Maybe not the first couple of days but by now he absolutely should be.

I know everyone's recovery is different but he's 23 and basically OCD about hockey, I don't think it's a stretch to think he'd push it to come back and be at the early part of the timetable. They also never said 4-6 weeks. It was "roughly 4 weeks" and Dater even said 3-4 weeks. The 4-6 thing only started coming up this week.

So if it's as an injury of the 8 week variety would they lie and say it's less severe? Why are they keeping him away? Would Roy be playing games? Why wouldn't he play injured when everyone else pretty much does in the playoffs? I find it hard to believe Kane for example is 100%.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Without Duchene, I don't like our chances for a deep run. We'd have to be lucky in the health department with everyone else.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Although Duchene had the same injury as Pap, it's important to remember that Duchene was moving at hyperspeed and may have sprained his MCL even more. But I'm no doctor.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Roy said Mitchell hasn't even started riding a stationary bike yet.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The good news is that Duchene is riding stationary bike. With a sprained MCL that's some progress.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado

Yep, and I'm guessing it was worse than what they announced after the MRI. Rather than bumming out the fan base right before the playoffs though, they decided to give it a optimistic timetable and go from there. Did almost the same thing with Sakic in his last year when he was having the back problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad