GDT: 2013-2014 Avs Training Camp & Preseason Part II

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So who is paired with EJ to start? Hejda? I just hope it's not Benoit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He was last night, no? Should be them, Benoit/Barrie, then TBD (my prediction is Holden)/Sarich.

That's what I'm thinking but wasn't sure. First it was Bigras, then Hunwick, then Benoit, and last night Hejda.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's possible that Roy wants to try Wilson and EJ and tries every other possibility while waiting for Ryan Wilsouchthathurts gets healthy.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I would. Our division is probably the worst in the league.

Edit: More so scared than surprised I guess...

I say good, let TSN pick us last. Only thing that can happen is to meet or exceed expectations. The media doesn't get exotic with picks anyway, they tend to just regurgitate what last season's standings were. Plus any love from the major media for a team playing in the mountain time zone is pretty much nil to begin with.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't mind people predicting Avs to finish towards the bottom. It makes me look forward to the season and hopefully it helps motivate the team.

There are a lot of teams in the West with a lot of question marks. Avs being one of them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's possible that Roy wants to try Wilson and EJ and tries every other possibility while waiting for Ryan Wilsouchthathurts gets healthy.

I think you can probably take this part out of that sentence and it'd still be true.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I remember when people were up in arms about getting a second for him. lol.

Liles 2 years ago wasn't this Liles. Watching ROB and co trying to skate was painful, JML would've helped us a lot in these years. The avs had no transition game when he left. Shermy banked on Barrie and Elliott to replace him but he lost.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Just listened to Roy's press conference. Sounds like he really loves Aitto. Maybe he'll be the backup next year.

Really hoping it's Holden we see on Wednesday.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Just listened to Roy's press conference. Sounds like he really loves Aitto. Maybe he'll be the backup next year.

Really hoping it's Holden we see on Wednesday.

At risk of sounding really terrible, I'm hoping Giguere misses some time this year and Aitto steps in as the backup. I know, I know, you can't wish injury on people, but I'm pretty sure Aitto is a better option as a backup this year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
From Dater:

Why Patrick Roy believes in carrying eight defensemen...

Because he believes that his practices work much better when there are four pairs of D-men, so one guy isn't playing by himself or another in the top six is having to double shift at times. He thinks the d men need more rest in general than forwards, and that means when one or two needs to take a practice off that the bottom one or two can fill in and the practices run smoother. Roy will carry eight D men and 13 forwards this season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
At risk of sounding really terrible, I'm hoping Giguere misses some time this year and Aitto steps in as the backup. I know, I know, you can't wish injury on people, but I'm pretty sure Aitto is a better option as a backup this year.

They're still very young, he and Pickard. Even a full time backup job next year would be surprising given their age.

Markström will turn 24 this year and Florida doesn't seem to feel any rush with him. Lehner is 22 and is starting to be ready for bigger things. Bernier is 25 and is now being given the chance to fight for a starter spot. Schneider was 26.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
They're still very young, he and Pickard. Even a full time backup job next year would be surprising given their age.

Markström will turn 24 this year and Florida doesn't seem to feel any rush with him. Lehner is 22 and is starting to be ready for bigger things. Bernier is 25 and is now being given the chance to fight for a starter spot. Schneider was 26.

Still think he is better than Giguere, but we'll see. Giggy was pretty good last year when needed.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Still think he is better than Giguere, but we'll see. Giggy was pretty good last year when needed.

JSG's presence and experience make him a better option than Sami right now. Once Varly shows more consistency Sami might be an option for the #2. Keep in mind though, despite Sami's great camp and his rookie camp 2 years ago, he still has a career AHL stat line of .899 S% and 3.00 GAA. He needs some more seasoning; however I do feel he is ahead of Pickard.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Interesting that Roy said that if Malone doesn't make the team next year, they'll trade him. Don't think we'd ever hear something like that from the last regime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad