Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I can't believe the Avs are entering the season with a defense of:

Hejda - Johnson
Benoit - Barrie
Holden - Sarich
Hunwick - Guenin
IR: Wilson

Only 3 of those 9 are legitimate NHL players. Wouldn't surprise me the least bit if Varlamov doesn't return from Russia after the Olympics.

Johnson/Barrie/Wilson/Hejda can make almost any team's top 7.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I can't believe the Avs are entering the season with a defense of:

Hejda - Johnson
Benoit - Barrie
Holden - Sarich
Hunwick - Guenin
IR: Wilson

Only 3 of those 9 are legitimate NHL players. Wouldn't surprise me the least bit if Varlamov doesn't return from Russia after the Olympics.

Johnson/Barrie/Wilson/Hejda can make almost any team's top 7.

and hunwick, benoit, and sarich are probably #7s on most team (not that that's saying much)

There's no doubt we have an abundance of NHL dmen. However, we only have one proven top 2 talent (EJ is there due to his defensive talents but is still not proven to be consistent offensively and could stand to be better defensively as well.) Seriously we don't have a single world beater on D. We do have Barrie, Wilson and Hejda who are all decent 3-4 dmen and our third pairing is actually plush with the leftovers. I really have no idea about Benoit until I can see him play though, he might prove to be a lot higher than I think. I really think we need one solid top pairing guy to right the ship which is why I've always been in favor of a trade for Phaneuf...he's a lefty (which we could use) and he's capable of logging lots of minutes. I also think the sooner we could get him, the better the chances are of retaining him for several years.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs problem isn't that there isn't enough nhl defenders. It's that most of them are 5-7 defenders and only a few 2-4 defenders. We're bottom heavy.

Guys like Hunwick, Sarich, Benoit, Wilson are ok players but they should probably not sniff top four minutes if you hope to do well.

Anyway, let's see what Roy can get out of these guys before despairing. I'm sure there will be rough patches this year, but hopefully slightly more stability back there.

It's not like the organization has a long term commitment to most of them so anything can happen if Roy doesn't like what he sees.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No matter how you guys spin it, the Avs D is terrible.

Not only Avs have d-men in their top 4 that wont even make the line up on top teams, but the best d-man on the team (EJ) hasn't done much or any signs of improvement.

Last edited:

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Not only Avs have d-men in their top 4 that wont even make the line up on top teams, but the beat d-man on the team (EJ) hasn't done much or any signs of improvement.

Can't imagine too many people would disagree. Question really is, can Roy actually turn a minor miracle and get these guy to work out passably.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Avs problem isn't that there isn't enough nhl defenders. It's that most of them are 5-7 defenders and only a few 2-4 defenders. We're bottom heavy.

Guys like Hunwick, Sarich, Benoit, Wilson are ok players but they should probably not sniff top four minutes if you hope to do well.

Anyway, let's see what Roy can get out of these guys before despairing. I'm sure there will be rough patches this year, but hopefully slightly more stability back there.

It's not like the organization has a long term commitment to most of them so anything can happen if Roy doesn't like what he sees.

Exactly. It's going to be the same problem as last year. One of our guys who are solid enough to handle a small role are going to be forced to take on a bigger one and it's gonna lead to many mistakes and that player being hated here. Like Zanon last year. If he played 10-15 min per night which is probably what he is good for, he would have been OK. Same with Shane O'Brien and most of the d-man we've had in recent years. We neeeed someone who can log those big minutes.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The most important thing to start the season is for Roy to find out which pieces work in his system, and then move forward from there.

Colorado has lots of (cap) flexibility this year. They will make changes both internally and externally.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The thing now is no one is making any trades involving top 2/top 4 defenders. Roy said it earlier that they'll pick someone up at the right price but not if its too high. I would love if we could improve our defense and I'm sure Roy/Sakic would as well. However the problem is no one is available that could help us unless we severely overpaid. I agree we are bottom heavy but that problem will clear itself up at the very latest at the end of the season.

You can bet Roy will be looking for a defender to add throughout the season but every team is pretty much locked into their rosters right now. It might take an injury or someone playing above/below their skill level in order to be moved. Or maybe a rookie steals a spot and a decent defender becomes available for the right price. I'd like if this was like NHL 14, find a defenseman and trade for him without much trouble.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Another thing to remember is that the Avs never really cared much about defense, they have always been an offensive minded team. Roy in one of his interviews made it clear that he wants a fast offensive, entertaining team that's fun to watch for the fans. So that's the reason they don't aggressively go after d-men by trades or FA's.

They will always draft a forward with their highest pick, and they will always pick up the best available forward rather than the best available d-man in free agency.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We have 5 top 5 guys, unfortunately none is a franchise type #1, and 2 are #5s, but hey, work in progress with 3 high ceilinged prospects in the pipeline and a great forward core.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Not only Avs have d-men in their top 4 that wont even make the line up on top teams, but the best d-man on the team (EJ) hasn't done much or any signs of improvement.

EJ, Hejda, Barrie and Benoit/Wilson would play on most teams in the NHL. The first 3 on basically every team and the last two would make the third pairing or be the 7th dman on most of them. Come on now. Our D will be bad, but that's just a silly complaint.

Another thing to remember is that the Avs never really cared much about defense, they have always been an offensive minded team. Roy in one of his interviews made it clear that he wants a fast offensive, entertaining team that's fun to watch for the fans. So that's the reason they don't aggressively go after d-men by trades or FA's.

They will always draft a forward with their highest pick, and they will always pick up the best available forward rather than the best available d-man in free agency.

This is true, just look at the EJ trade where we trade the super defensive Shattenkirk, Stewart and a 2nd round pick for the high scoring McClement, EJ and the pick that became Siemens...

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Guess you missed Duchene's interview where he talked about Roy recalling Pittsburgh's back-to-back Cups. Sure Roy wants offense but he knows he needs defense. When talking about Pittsburgh's Cups though Roy said how there defense would corral the puck then have it out of their own zone before you could blink. You don't win games playing 90% of the game in your own zone.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
EJ, Hejda, Barrie and Benoit/Wilson would play on most teams in the NHL. The first 3 on basically every team and the last two would make the third pairing or be the 7th dman on most of them. Come on now. Our D will be bad, but that's just a silly complaint.

This is true, just look at the EJ trade where we trade the super defensive Shattenkirk, Stewart and a 2nd round pick for the high scoring McClement, EJ and the pick that became Siemens...

I see the sarcasm there. While Shattenkirk is not a shut down d-man, someone that plays that solid reliable D, he is an offensive d-man, and i don't really miss him on the Avs because Avs need d-men that can actually play D. I think Barrie can turn out to be a very good offensive d-man for the Avs that's why i don't miss Shattenkirk.

But i haven't seen EJ play any kind of solid defense since he has been with the Avs. He constantly gets beat one on one, he has his share of turn overs, not to mention his offense has been non existent. And hopefully pre-season isn't any indication, because it doesn't look like EJ shows any improvement.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Guess you missed Duchene's interview where he talked about Roy recalling Pittsburgh's back-to-back Cups. Sure Roy wants offense but he knows he needs defense. When talking about Pittsburgh's Cups though Roy said how there defense would corral the puck then have it out of their own zone before you could blink. You don't win games playing 90% of the game in your own zone.

I hope Roy also remembers that Pens had few d-men on that cup winning team who could play shut down defense.

How many do Avs have?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I see the sarcasm there. While Shattenkirk is not a shut down d-man, someone that plays that solid reliable D, he is an offensive d-man, and i don't really miss him on the Avs because Avs need d-men that can actually play D. I think Barrie can turn out to be a very good offensive d-man for the Avs that's why i don't miss Shattenkirk.

But i haven't seen EJ play any kind of solid defense since he has been with the Avs. He constantly gets beat one on one, he has his share of turn overs, not to mention his offense has been non existent. And hopefully pre-season isn't any indication, because it doesn't look like EJ shows any improvement.

So EJ is your new target? I see...well clearly you've been watching a different EJ so not much point discussing this further.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So EJ is your new target? I see...well clearly you've been watching a different EJ so not much point discussing this further.

Well going back last year, and the only preseason game available to watch this year which was the game against Dallas, I saw the same EJ, getting beat one on one for a goal against, and not much impact out there from him.

Edit: Either EJ needs to be on a whole other level as a #1 d-man or he needs a steady partner. I'm sorry but so far I don't see another level from EJ, and I sure don't see a steady partner for him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad