2013-14 WHL Regular Season Thread

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Haha I wouldn't be so sure about that. Everett's finally recovering from injuries and 6-0-0-1 in their past 7, including trouncing Kelowna last night 5-1. It'd be quite the interesting series IMO, both teams are riding hotstreaks... Although I would never pass up a series vs Seattle if we can catch Spokane.

Spokane and Vancouver have had our numbers this year. Lotz is an outstanding goalie and the Silvertips are an excellent team no doubt about it. Set for a great series if it happens.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Talking about visors, why does Matt Barzal where a Reebok helmet? I thought everyone had to wear a CCM?
Reebok and CCM are the same company.

From the CHL's website:
CCM/Reebok are the Exclusive Supplier of helmets, gloves, pants, game jerseys and socks, practice jerseys and socks, shoulder/shin/elbow pads, officials helmets, officials jersey, and officials pants.

Bauer is the Exclusive Supplier of visors and neck protection.
http://www.chl.ca/page/suppliers

Last edited:

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing that! Barzal though is still the only player I've seen that's worn a Reebok helmet.

Leipsic and Pouliot are the other two I can think of off the top of my head.

Question for the Calgary/Edmonton/Regina fans out there regarding the 7 and 8 seeds:

Who would you prefer to face in the first round of the ploffs? Who are you most scared of? This is out of the trifecta of PA, Brandon, and Red Deer, obviously.

Slapstick204

Sep 23, 2010
Probably Prince Albert. They seem to be back to their winning ways. Red Deer goalie is a big factor, could clinch series if getting past him, Brandon struggling with injuries and suspensions, but has a lot of depth. Altogether still Prince Albert getting vote as most dangerous opponent.

Oct 15, 2008

Question for the Calgary/Edmonton/Regina fans out there regarding the 7 and 8 seeds:

Who would you prefer to face in the first round of the ploffs? Who are you most scared of? This is out of the trifecta of PA, Brandon, and Red Deer, obviously.

Oil King fan. Not scared of any of those teams. Looks to be another Hitmen/Oil King final barring some kind of upset.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

All 3 of those teams can cause you concern but all have problems of their own

PA's should be a very solid team. They have top end guys,depth in the linemate and a lot of size and toughness. There biggest problem is goaltending which causes them to give up in games.

Brandon is very offensive team. A ton of scoring depth up front and on the blueline. A scary powerplay. A lot of younger guys who will only get better. Good goaltending as well. There problem is they can forget to play D and get scored on easily.

Red Deer is a very solid defensive team with a great goaltender who can steal games. They work and play hard like any Sutter coached team. Scoring however does not come easy for them.

Edmonton/Calgary if they come to play shouldn't have any problems beating those teams but upsets do happen especially if you don't come to play or you play to those teams strengths

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oil Kings clinch first place in the conference.

Not bad for a team that was predicted to lose a few steps this year due to graduated talent.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
Fiddler and Bourke had great games last night. Troy Bourke came into the night one point back of the Cougars all time points lead. He put up one goal and 3 assists, and Todd Fiddler started the game with 46 goals. He scored four to become the second P.G. Cougar to ever hit 50 in a season.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Fiddler and Bourke had great games last night. Troy Bourke came into the night one point back of the Cougars all time points lead. He put up one goal and 3 assists, and Todd Fiddler started the game with 46 goals. He scored four to become the second P.G. Cougar to ever hit 50 in a season.

Yes, now about that sale of the team. Lets get on with it.

Slapstick204

Sep 23, 2010
great job Pats

So, how about those 2013-14 Eastern Division Champions, the Regina Pats? Where were they supposed to finish? 9th? 10th?

Obviously a Regina fan , I have to say it was a pleasure to watch them play this year.They were coached creatively and played to win. Some other teams can learn from that. Hope they can keep it up against Brandon in the playoffs , they are a very offensive team and overcame injuries. Good luck Pats!

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
The Victoria Royals won their first two playoff games against Spokane in overtime. Hopefully, they have the lucky horseshoes for a playoff run.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
The Victoria Royals won their first two playoff games against Spokane in overtime. Hopefully, they have the lucky horseshoes for a playoff run.
Here's hoping.

Tonight, I noticed a couple of things. I haven't had a chance to get out to as many games this year as I have in years past, so forgive me if this analysis is way off base. Can only get so much from listening to games on the radio.

1) They need to play with more discipline. They took a few really stupid, undisciplined penalties tonight and it was pretty common for them to take similar penalties last year, too. While it's fun to watch during the regular season, it's aggravating during the playoffs.

2) The Hicketts-Brown pairing needs to be played into the ground. Offensive chances seemed to happen every time they were on the ice tonight and, listening to the radio, it seems to be pretty commonplace since we acquired Brown. Fransoo-Cote and Kanzig-Gagnon were hemmed in our end quite frequently (and Kanzig-Gagnon had a few "OMG" moments that fortunately didn't result in goals against). For whatever reason, Hicketts and Brown were both glued to the bench for the first half of the 3rd period and we paid for it as Spokane tied it up. Once they started getting shifts again, the scoring chances followed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad