Speculation: 2013-14 Trade Talk IV Fixing the Defense ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Some of those vet defenders that stick out as possibly (not saying likely) available:

2 years: Campbell, Yandle, Byfuglien, Bieksa, Coburn, Giordano, Schenn, Grossman, Gunnarsson

3 years: Wisniewski, Wideman, Kindl (Don't really like most of these names)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just view Whitney has an wasted asset if we don't trade him. Could be taking it the wrong way but was my first thought when he said it. Especially with the whole long term outlook he had in the interview.

I'm with you he should be moved, I just don't know I'd be that upset if they pass on a 3rd/4th round pick. I'd be more disappointed a guy like Sceviour doesn't get a shot and walks away in the summer.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Some forwards in that 2 to 3 year wheelhouse:

2 years: Gagner, Ruutu, Laad, Voracek, Hudler, Parenteau, Perron, Anisimov, Grabner, Okposo, Nielsen

3 years: Umberger, Laich, Leino, Burrows, Desharnais, Greening, Higgins .. again like the D this list kinda sucks

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Some forwards in that 2 to 3 year wheelhouse:

2 years: Gagner, Ruutu, Laad, Voracek, Hudler, Parenteau, Perron, Anisimov, Grabner, Okposo, Nielsen

3 years: Umberger, Laich, Leino, Burrows, Desharnais, Greening, Higgins .. again like the D this list kinda sucks

Was thinking about him yesterday... we were linked to him earlier in the season for a trade, did they say who we'd be sending their way?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Was thinking about him yesterday... we were linked to him earlier in the season for a trade, did they say who we'd be sending their way?

I can't remember if it was a legitimate rumor, but the claim was Whitney. That was before Desharnais starting playing well for Montreal though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Making that list reminded me of something from the ESPN Insider yesterday. I was pretty impressed with Ruutu in the playoffs. They seem to think that Carolina might be willing to retain salary (they have in the past), but they also think with retained salary, Ruutu is worth a 2nd.

I don't think Ruutu really address an immediate need so I wouldn't do it, but I do agree that I came away impressed from the Olympics. Dallas just really doesn't need another Top 9 type. They need a scorer or a defender.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Considering the Islanders pretty impressive depth of young centers, Frans Nielsen might be an interesting target for Dallas. Signed extremely cheap for 2 more seasons. I think Seguin-Eakin-Nielsen would be an above average group of Top 3 centers in the league. Perfectly fulfills adding a veteran short term to allow Faksa, Shore, and Dickinson time to develop.

Drawback is he has a broken hand, and he's likely out for at least two more weeks.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Didn't we kick the tires on MSL, leading up to the '08 trade deadline?

We ended up with Richards, but I could have swore there was a brief rumour about MSL headed our way.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't care if it's a bad idea, I don't care if we over pay. I want Martin St Louis on the Dallas Stars.

What if it's just unrealistic? I agree often where there's smoke there's fire, but Tampa trading MSL would be down right Pejorative Slured. He's one of their best forwards on the team, and they have on of the better teams in the East.

He may have been a little butt hurt, but this is one of those things floating around that makes zero sense. Even if it is true. There's no way MSL agrees to go from one of the better teams in the East to a team that has a better chance of missing the playoffs (1 of 5/6 teams fighting for one spot) than they do making it. I like Dallas' chances, but that's how MSL and anyone else would view this situation.

Seems to me there are too many hurdles that just don't make sense for him landing in Dallas.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Didn't we kick the tires on MSL, leading up to the '08 trade deadline?

We ended up with Richards, but I could have swore there was a brief rumour about MSL headed our way.

MSL for Turco was the initial rumor. Woulda left us with Mike Smith. Wonder what the last 6 years would have been like with that trade.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
What if it's just unrealistic? I agree often where there's smoke there's fire, but Tampa trading MSL would be down right Pejorative Slured. He's one of their best forwards on the team, and they have on of the better teams in the East.

He may have been a little butt hurt, but this is one of those things floating around that makes zero sense. Even if it is true. There's no way MSL agrees to go from one of the better teams in the East to a team that has a better chance of missing the playoffs (1 of 5/6 teams fighting for one spot) than they do making it. I like Dallas' chances, but that's how MSL and anyone else would view this situation.

Seems to me there are too many hurdles that just don't make sense for him landing in Dallas.

You're missing the most important thing of all here, he's 38 and wants a cup. He's not going to get that in Dallas in the next two years barring a miraculous influx of competent defensemen.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
MSL for Turco was the initial rumor. Woulda left us with Mike Smith. Wonder what the last 6 years would have been like with that trade.

Probably still pretty awful. Dallas still was awful at drafting and trading away all their picks. We still would not have escaped the wrath of Hicks financial problems. Hicks is the kicker ... every alternate story still ends in misery because of him and his money management ... just can't escape it.

Now ... in the long run, that could prove to be a positive. As bad as Hicks was, he got Gaglardi out of it, and that could be great. Gaglardi resulted in Nill, and that sure has the potential to be pretty special. No one was more coveted for a GM role.

We just might be the anti-Cowboys!!! Levelheaded, passionate owner with a wiz of a GM.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You're missing the most important thing of all here, he's 38 and wants a cup. He's not going to get that in Dallas in the next two years barring a miraculous influx of competent defensemen.

Everyone wants a Cup every year, but this isn't a Bourque situation. I think sanity will reign supreme and he stays in Tampa even if he might have a better shot at a Cup with NY in his opinion or Pittsburgh or where ever you want to mention.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Trade Whitney to PHX for a 2nd or 3rd round pick...then flip that pick and a B prospect to EDM for Hemsky. Whitney wants to go to PHX and EDM is looking for high draft picks to replace the pick they lost in previous trades. EDM is looking to acquire a 2nd and a 3rd RD pick through trades for this up and coming draft.

Trade Chaisson, 2nd Round pick, and a A/B level prospect for Elder...or add a little more. Vancouver is looking for a winger to play with Kesler. Chaisson would be a great fit with Kesler and Dallas could really use Edler.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Well put me in TB's camp here, and I think MSL is a little childish if all this freaking comes from the Olympic snub .... which appears to be the case:

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/report-martin-st.-louis-wants-to-play-with-the-rangers?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Demanding a trade and saying you'll only go to one team is quite a dick move. Have to admit that tarnishes my opinion of the guy a bit. Canada is arguably the hardest hockey team in the world to get selected for .... and you still freaking got to go ... grow up. This has nothing to do with a Cup. There are several better teams closer to a Cup than NY, and those teams aren't about to potentially trade two of their best players: Callahan and Girardi.

MetalGodAOD*

Trade Whitney to PHX for a 2nd or 3rd round pick...then flip that pick and a B prospect to EDM for Hemsky. Whitney wants to go to PHX and EDM is looking for high draft picks to replace the pick they lost in previous trades. EDM is looking to acquire a 2nd and a 3rd RD pick through trades for this up and coming draft.

Trade Chaisson, 2nd Round pick, and a A/B level prospect for Elder...or add a little more. Vancouver is looking for a winger to play with Kesler. Chaisson would be a great fit with Kesler and Dallas could really use Edler.

Scroll up, PHX will only trade money for money. Whitney for a draft pick is dead.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Well put me in TB's camp here, and I think MSL is a little childish if all this freaking comes from the Olympic snub .... which appears to be the case:

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/report-martin-st.-louis-wants-to-play-with-the-rangers?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Demanding a trade and saying you'll only go to one team is quite a dick move. Have to admit that tarnishes my opinion of the guy a bit. Canada is arguably the hardest hockey team in the world to get selected for .... and you still freaking got to go ... grow up. This has nothing to do with a Cup. There are several better teams closer to a Cup than NY, and those teams aren't about to potentially trade two of their best players: Callahan and Girardi.
I certainly wouldnt have pegged the guy for a move like this.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Dreger just tweeted a few minutes ago that Tampa is telling teams who call that MSL is only interested in NY.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Dreger just tweeted a few minutes ago that Tampa is telling teams who call that MSL is only interested in NY.

That is total horsecrap. At least when we lucked out getting Brad Richards there were other teams involved and he himself wasn't trying to force the trade. This here sounds like a guy putting his own ego over an organization, its fans, and his teammates.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
That is total horsecrap. At least when we lucked out getting Brad Richards there were other teams involved and he himself wasn't trying to force the trade. This here sounds like a guy putting his own ego over an organization, its fans, and his teammates.

I agree it seems really strange. If it is true I feel as though there has to be more to the story than just the Olympics, although you really never know.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I agree it seems really strange. If it is true I feel as though there has to be more to the story than just the Olympics, although you really never know.

Itd be kind of funny if he wants to go to NYR with Brad Richards being a big part of that, and then Brad Richards gets bought out in the summer.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I agree. In Richards scenario and even Rick Nash, their organization wanted them out, and I have no problem with a guy controlling where he goes in that case. This seems entirely different and selfish. I'd be shocked if Yzerman wanted to move him considering their current position in the East.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I agree. In Richards scenario and even Rick Nash, their organization wanted them out, and I have no problem with a guy controlling where he goes in that case. This seems entirely different and selfish. I'd be shocked if Yzerman wanted to move him considering their current position in the East.

Kind of crazy to think how things have shaken out in tampa. They had 3 superstars in Richards, Lecavalier and MSL. Richards leaves with a crappy return via trade, Lecavalier leaves with no return because he is bought out, and now MSL looks like he is going to leave with probalby a less than desirable return. I hope Stamkos doesn't leave for a long, long time.

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
Nill said Robidas' original date was March 17th ... might be sooner ... doesn't want to put dates, but maybe first 2 weeks.

Also ... doesn't sound like any chance Robidas is traded.

Also significant ... Nill said people outside of hockey just don't know how important it is to have right handed guys. Klingberg is the only close rightie to the NHL ... Vance and Hansson much further away. Could be a serious push for one at the deadline or this summer.

I've been saying this even before Robidas got hurt.

Our all left hand d-men are so painful to watch sometimes, especially when the other team exploits them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad