Speculation: 2013-14 Trade Talk IV Fixing the Defense ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think it would be pretty funny if Tampa just put MSL on waivers and made him play out his contract in Edmonton or Buffalo.

NMC prevents that from happening. Funny you mention it though ... while it wasn't this regime, TB is that actually used that threat on one of their players .. Dan Boyle.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
NMC prevents that from happening. Funny you mention it though ... while it wasn't this regime, TB is that actually used that threat on one of their players .. Dan Boyle.

well crap.

On the Kesler rumor... I'd have a hard time giving up the assets required to make that work.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I hope they do trade Kesler. Rumor was they wanted a center back for Edler too. If they get that guy with Kesler, maybe one of Dallas' wingers becomes more attractive in a potential Edler trade.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Kesler situation is fascinating and developing ....

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur

On @LouisJean_TVA's Kesler trade request story: Kesler was also telling people he wanted out of Vancouver after the bronze medal game. So ..

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur

... maybe he didn't tell his agent? Anyway, I know who I trust on this.

Someone fibbed ...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas probably will be quiet at this deadline, but it sure seems like this year has quite a few big names potentially available.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I like Eakin as much as the next guy but if you can get Kesler while giving up Eakin and keeping our 1st and Ritchie out of the deal I think it would probably be worth doing. The only thing that would give me pause is the fact that Kesler only has two more years on his deal. I think the injuries for him aren't as bad as they're made out to be. Eakin is basically a Kesler starter kit while the latter is great at certain things that we could really use.

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
I like Eakin as much as the next guy but if you can get Kesler while giving up Eakin and keeping our 1st and Ritchie out of the deal I think it would probably be worth doing. The only thing that would give me pause is the fact that Kesler only has two more years on his deal. I think the injuries for him aren't as bad as they're made out to be. Eakin is basically a Kesler starter kit while the latter is great at certain things that we could really use.

Because Nill is building this team for long-term success, Kesler is not worth Eakin IMO. Eakin is growing into one of the best two-way centers in the league, and he's only 22 years old.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Because Nill is building this team for long-term success, Kesler is not worth Eakin IMO. Eakin is growing into one of the best two-way centers in the league, and he's only 22 years old.

I agree not to trade him ... but let's tap the breaks on among the best in the league. He's for sure among the best of guys under 25 years old, and that's OK for now. Here's career projection could eventually reach that level.

Come on man, this isn't the Toronto board.

:sarcasm:

Edit: and I'm dumb. That's exactly what you said. Misread that getting my pre - work hockey fix. I'll exit stage left in shame.

Primetimey*

Trade Whitney and I am happy. He is bad now and his recent comments pissed me off.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Eakin hasn't really shown too strong of a learning curve on faceoffs, and while he's defensively responsible he has yet to prove himself capable of shutting down quality opposition forwards. Kesler has proven to be an ace faceoff guy, a shutdown center, a beast on the PP, and a quality 5-on-5 scoring forward. If you get two quality years from him and you make the playoffs both years I would argue that the tradeoff of losing a semi-cost controlled player for him is worth it.

Do I love the idea of trading Eakin? Of course not. I just think we should be realistic with his qualities and projection. I'm also of the opinion that you can mix short term with long term goals. I'm not saying to trade the farm for a slew of 27-32 year olds. But I think you have to be willing to pick and choose targets.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Which ones? Did I miss/forget something? :help:

It was immediately after the PHX game. Next morning in a PHX paper. I was uncomfortable reading them, but I don't think he said anything directly that you can damn him for. Just at the conclusion of the article I got the overwhelming feeling he didn't want to be here, and he was mailing it in.

To me it was more of a vibe thing, and luckily, so I didn't feel crazy, some others felt the same way.

I'll try and find the article.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Eakin hasn't really shown too strong of a learning curve on faceoffs, and while he's defensively responsible he has yet to prove himself capable of shutting down quality opposition forwards. Kesler has proven to be an ace faceoff guy, a shutdown center, a beast on the PP, and a quality 5-on-5 scoring forward. If you get two quality years from him and you make the playoffs both years I would argue that the tradeoff of losing a semi-cost controlled player for him is worth it.

Do I love the idea of trading Eakin? Of course not. I just think we should be realistic with his qualities and projection. I'm also of the opinion that you can mix short term with long term goals. I'm not saying to trade the farm for a slew of 27-32 year olds. But I think you have to be willing to pick and choose targets.

But the problem is that most likely he wouldn't be here beyond that two years and let's face it, we won't start really competing until after those two years. So that would leave us without both when we should start competing.

Worst case scenario, Eakin turns out to be really high end 3C. But in two years, if that happens, we will be in the place that we can trade away picks and prospect for immediate help. Now is not the time IMO

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur

In general I agree with you, I just don't think Eakin is the piece to move for short-term gain of a guy like Kesler. Also, don't get me wrong, I'd love to get Kesler on the team.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Oops, I keep forgetting Kesler only has 2 more years on his contract.

Daley for Kesler.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

I think your reasoning is perfectly sound, and I believe this is exactly how the team would present it if they pull the trigger. Personally ... I'd rather see what Eakin could grow into versus potentially only 2 years of Kesler. That said, you're right there is a reasonable argument to be made about that potential trade. I don't think anyone could argue that there's no logic whatsoever in that type of move.

Primetimey*

Which ones? Did I miss/forget something? :help:

Something along the lines of, he doesn't know if Dallas is going to trade him what happens, happens.

As a leader on the team, the guy should be saying we are fighting for a playoff spot and we want to make it as a team. He was so ho-hum about the entire thing turned me the wrong way.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

That's it ... this was the primary concern for me:

“I’m thinking after this Olympic break, I’ll be refreshed and see what happens,†he said. “Individually see if I’m still here and if I’m not, then we’ll see at the end of the year. I don’t have any plans.â€

It's a fair point for sure by him, but the bolded part is a bit unnerving. See if you're still here after the break? What happens if you aren't? What are the chances considering that thought has creeped into your head?

Like I said there's no one particular thing that he says that is bad or wrong. When I finished reading though I just felt a bit down.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Proposed next thread title:

2013-14 Trade Talk V Time Not Well Spent

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I keep seeing that Boston wants to add a defenseman.

Daley for Spooner?

If we go after an up and coming center though I really think I'd prefer Luke Adam out of Buffalo.

As far as defense goes, I've been completely out of the loop for the past three weeks on anything going on with the NHL. Any names being brought up worth a look? Not OFD.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Count me out of Daley for Spooner, although I think I value Daley higher than what we'll ultimately receive in a trade.

I am curious to see what Kesler ends up grabbing when they do trade him. I feel as though whether or not we wanted him here based on age/eakin/whatever, when we see the price paid and what the Stars comparable would be, I think most of us will be please we didn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad