Speculation: 2013-14 Trade Talk IV Fixing the Defense ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Hi, hope you don't mind a Pen's fan perspective. :)

WRT Letang, the idea that the Pens want to move him is just speculation by fans (mostly here at HF) and by one member of the media. Shero thinks he's worth the contract he was given - and so do I despite his struggles this season - and since the cap is going up and considering what they've got on D in the pipeline they can afford to pay him comfortably. I think the only way he moves is in a one-for-one (or close to it) swap for a high end winger. Regardless, they definitely wouldn't want a defenseman coming back. The only reason to trade Letang would be because they feel comfortable with the D they have moving forward and Letang could score a big return. They're not actively shopping him and may not even have any interest in moving him at all so they can be patient. I think nearly every team would be interested if they let it be known he was available, though, injuries notwithstanding.

As far as Despres, I am going to hate to see him traded but at this point he's the most likely. He's just stuck in the logjam and while I think he gets a top six spot if he is still with the Pens next season he's a good trade piece now. I could see something around Chaisson being acceptable for both teams. I can also see trading Despres coming back to haunt the Pens, but something has to give with all the D they have.

As far as Maatta goes, he's the reason Joe Morrow was and Despres is expendable. The organization is in love with that kid and so are the fans. If Shero would be willing to move him at all it would have to be equally painful for both sides to give up their player. I truly don't see him going to the Stars for less than Nichushkin. No quantity for quality. So understandably, neither side may like it.

Hope the game is good tonight. I may get shouted out of here for this but I've always been a fan of Goligoski, hate seeing him struggle.

You drive a hard bargain... We'll add a year supply of hickory or post oak smoked brisket, your choice.

aloonda*

if rome could stay healthy he would be a guy we could use as a minute eater/defensive guy

________

Feb 6, 2006
Since this is most related to the trade deadline.
Stars have 10 games left before the trade deadline.

January 27th vs Colorado, 30th vs Devils.
February 1st @ Anaheim, 4th @ Phoenix, 5th @ San Jose, 8th vs Phoenix. 27th vs Carolina
March 1st vs Tampa, March 3rd vs Buffalo, March 4th @ Columbus

Key Dates
February 7th is the Roster Freeze before the Olympics
March 5th trade deadline

Stars have 56 points in 52 games with 30 games left. They'll need a 30 game stretch like December's play (.666 points percentage round up to .667) just to need reach 96 points.
If it's 100 points needed the Stars would need to play at .733% points percentage.

With all the teams in the mix in the East there's going to be very few sellers. As of tonight there's 6 teams in the East 2 points out of 8th.
So there could be excellent returns for the actual teams selling off players.

MetalGodAOD*

Another deadline, Jan 29th, the last day Chiasson/anyone has to be sent to the AHL in order to play during the Olympics.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Which could be good for the Stars, they have proven to be able too win without Robidas, and Whitney has rarely been a factor in most games, Nill will probably (hopefully) move them at the deadline no matter where the Stars are in the standings. Fiddler I could go either way with, he's a great 4th liner/penalty killer but if he could bring back a second round pick you have to take it.

If/when Whitney is moved I really hope they are smart enough to call Sceviour up.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
that's the logical thing.

Send Chiasson down, call Jeffrey up for the remaining few games before Feb 8th.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Alex Chiasson

I wanted to get an honest, general estimate of how much you would expect for a guy like Chiasson.

Rene Bourque
David Desharnais
Daniel Briere
Josh Gorges
Brian Gionta
Douglas Murray
Louis LeBlanc

are all on the block, obviously I don't expect this to get it done; David Desharnais has 20 points in his last 25 games or so and would be a great fit with Cole.

All picks are available, If anything here doesn't interest you just let me know!

Cheers!

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I wanted to get an honest, general estimate of how much you would expect for a guy like Chiasson.

Rene Bourque
David Desharnais
Daniel Briere
Josh Gorges
Brian Gionta
Douglas Murray
Louis LeBlanc

are all on the block, obviously I don't expect this to get it done; David Desharnais has 20 points in his last 25 games or so and would be a great fit with Cole.

All picks are available, If anything here doesn't interest you just let me know!

Cheers!

Beaulieu or bust, brah.

MetalGodAOD*

Chiasson is a blue chip NHL ready prospect. You'll have to give something like that on a defensive level back. That would be Beaulieu. Dallas wouldn't be interested in any of those scraps.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Chiasson is a blue chip NHL ready prospect. You'll have to give something like that on a defensive level back. That would be Beaulieu. Dallas wouldn't be interested in any of those scraps.

Does Greg Pateryn interest you? Check hi AHL numbers, he's our most NHL ready dman prospect.

MetalGodAOD*

Sebastian Collberg?

Would be a backwards move for Dallas, getting a potential top 6er who's younger and unproven.

Does Greg Pateryn interest you? Check hi AHL numbers, he's our most NHL ready dman prospect.

Don't know him, would have to look at him. But a lot of proposals for Despres for Chiasson have been thrown around from Pittsburgh, so he'd have to have more potential than Despres.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Don't know him, would have to look at him. But a lot of proposals for Despres for Chiasson have been thrown around from Pittsburgh, so he'd have to have more potential than Despres.

Pateryn would be an okay acquisition but Les Habs would be adding a tiny bit, imo.

I mean, he's a big RH D man with decent AHL numbers. He's also 23.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I wouldn't mind Gorges... he eats up over 20 mins regularly, responsible, steady, character defender and 2nd in blocked shots among NHL Dmen.

At the cost of Chiasson, no thanks, but there is room on the Stars roster for a player like Gorges.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
What's our opinion on signing Joni Pitkanen this offseason? Steady top pairing guy, and will be at a cheap price coming off a year out with injury. Seems like a good reclamation project like Souray.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
What's our opinion on signing Joni Pitkanen this offseason? Steady top pairing guy, and will be at a cheap price coming off a year out with injury. Seems like a good reclamation project like Souray.

He has a "bad" attitude as far as I know. Probably in the same vein as Corvo.

Also, no, I would rather sign Meszaros.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

Rene Bourque
David Desharnais
Daniel Briere
Josh Gorges
Brian Gionta
Douglas Murray
Louis LeBlanc

Cheers!

Yeah thanks but no thanks. No interest in any of them. Sorry.

I actually don't mind Desharnais, but not overly interested.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Amazing what a week makes! Last week the whole team was for sale...especially the d-core. Now what do you do?

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
Now what do you do?

Same as last week - sell. These past 3 games have been fun to watch and give us something to look forward to in the future but there's no way this team makes up enough ground by the deadline to be considered "in the running".

Brand New Stars

It would be a poor management decision to not sell certain pieces if they would return a potential part of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad