Bryce Van Brabant: 2.5
Kevin Westgarth: 3
Dennis Wideman: 2.5
Tyler Wotherspoon: 4

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Interview is now live here.

Really good press conference in my opinion. I like a straight shooter and when Burke starts with, "this season was a failure" I know he means business. All his answers made me happy during the question period and I cannot wait to see the Flames next season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really wanna know who he's going to attempt to add. Any vets added mean some prospects will be shipped out without question.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
#3 - Ladislav Smid [D]
Rating: 4/5

When we acquired Smid I knew he was a team first guy and a bit of a warrior, but I really underrated him. He was a better shot blocker than I expected, he was better defensively than I expected and he was better with the puck than I expected. The guy is the definition of warrior and his commitment to the team on the ice is paralleled by very few.​

#4 - Kris Russell [D]
Rating: 5/5

I was not pleased in the slightest with the trade for Russell. I believe my exact words were something along the lines of "he is a train wreck defensively, physically soft and merely okay in the offensive zone." Well Russell fed me heaping plate after heaping plate of crow. Russell was solid in the defensive zone, smart with the puck and while not physical he wasn't really pushed around either.​

#5 - Mark Giordano [D]

With his struggles last year and the departure of Bouwmeester at last year's trade deadline I was terrified going into the season with Giordano as our #1 defenseman. Instead he put up a season that most defensemen can only aspire to accomplish. Had he not been injured I do not believe the Flames would be drafting top 5, maybe not even top 10. The team went 5-10-2 during his absence and were outscored 60-39 over those 17 games. He was our heart and soul and put up a Norris calibre season.​

#6 - Dennis Wideman [D]
Rating: 2/5

Offensively Wideman was alright, he was on pace for 37 points, which was pretty much the same as last season and not too far below his production with the much more offensively talented Capital, but I found defensively this year he struggled. Part of it may have been being asked to play against other teams top lines while Giordano was hurt, but overall I did not find his defensive or physical play up to the standard he set in his first season with the Flames.​

#7 - T.J Brodie [D]

Simply put this kid just keeps getting better. He continued to improve offensively and his defensive game was far ahead of where it was last year. His giveaways per game dropped modestly by 0.013 giveaways per game, but that is without factoring in that his ice-time increased by about 20% and the quality of his opponents became much tougher. I would still say he is a #3 defenseman, but he is really showing he has top pairing potential and is still only 23!​

#8 - Joe Colborne [C/RW]

Joe came into this season as a castoff from the Leafs organization, dealt because he didn't make their team and needed to clear waivers to be sent down and they were afraid he would be plucked away for free. So the Flames plucked him off the Leafs roster for a 4th round draft pick and had to guarantee him a roster spot or lose him to waivers. Joe started slow, he was decent defensively, skated well and was solid along the boards, but the offense just wasn't coming. Through his first 48 games Colborne had 11 points (4g, 7a), I believe it was around this time that Hartley moved Colborne to the RW from C and we saw Big Joe's offensive game improve. Over the final 32 games Colborne put up 6 goals and 17 points, I know that 6 points doesn't sound like much but when you consider it was 6 more points over 25% fewer games it is actually an increase of 131% in points per game!! I expected 25-30 points, but he was better along the boards, was a better skater, better in shootouts and better defensively than I expected.​

#10 - Corban Knight [C]
Rating: 3/5

My view on Knight is different than most on here because in addition to his 7 NHL games I have watched him play in 67 games for the Heat. In the grand scheme I would say Knight met my expectations, when we acquired him I had hopes he could just be tossed into the lineup as the #3 or #4 centre but with the Colborne acquisition and Monahan making the team he was sent to the AHL, which was the best thing for him. Knight is quite strong on faceoffs, one comment I saw a few times (and I feel the need to address it now) after our season finale was how Bill Arnold was better than Knight in the faceoff circle because he put up 56%+ in his debut and over 7 games Knight had a faceoff% in the 47% range, but people forget in his NHL debut Knight was over 61% in the circle.

Okay, back to Knight..... Once I tempered my expectations and watched him with the Heat he constantly impressed me. He is the go to guy on faceoffs, he scored as a solid pace, killed penalties and really improved his physical game as the season went on. The kid will be an NHL player and has the potential to be a Stephane Yelle type player.​

#11 - Mikael Backlund [C]

This may be sad but the part that impressed me most from Backlund this year was seeing him play 76 games. Defensively he continued to improve and offensively has has started to break out putting up 39 points. The first half of the season saw Backlund sit a couple times and play on the 4th line for a few nights and that seemed to work. In his first 38 games Backlund had a mere 5 goals, but in his final 38 games he started burying the puck scoring 13 goals. Had he been able to play the final 6 games Backlund may have actually scored 20 goals on the year. If he continues to improve offensively next season then Backlund should establish himself as a solid two-way 2nd line centre.​

#13 - Mike Cammalleri [LW]

Injuries were the story of the year for Cammy, missing nearly 1/4 of the season. Despite his injuries Cammalleri still led the team in goals and finished 3rd in points. His production was exactly where I expected it to be.​

#15 - Kevin Wesrtgarth [RW]

Exactly as I expected, average fighter but the heart of a lion.​

#15 - Tim Jackman [RW] Traded to Anaheim

Tim Jackman was Tim Jackman. He put forth a consistent effort and would throw the body around.​

#16 - Brian McGrattan [RW]

We all knew that Big Ern was the toughest SOB in the NHL, but we didn't know is he was capable of being an everyday player and being one of the best team guys on the team if not in the NHL. His discipline deserves mention here too, in 76 games Ern had a mere 5 minor penalties on the year!!​

#17 - Lance Bouma [LW]

Not gonna lie here, my expectations were not very high for this season. With his devastating knee injury just a few games into last season I thought Bouma would lose a step and would need significant time in the AHL to get back up to speed. But I couldn't have been more wrong. He never lost a step and has been in beast mode for his entire 76 games. He led the team in hits, led forwards in blocked shots, had a mere 15 giveaways and put up a respectable 15 points. Lance Bouma is to this team what Chris Clark was to the '04 team.​

#18 - Matt Stajan [C]

Offensively and defensively Stajan was exactly where I thought he would be. I have him exceeding expectations because he showed character, leadership and a level of consistency we have never seen from him before.​

#19 - Blair Jones [C/RW]

Exactly as I expected. Fringe NHL player, good AHL player.​

#20 - Curtis Glencross [LW]

It was tough to give Glencross a 2 here, I think when he played he was exactly who has has been the last few years and once again he was on pace for about 25 goals and 50 points. Unfortunately when you miss more games than you play it is difficult to say expectations were achieved.​

#21 - Roman Horak [C/LW] Traded to Edmonton

#22 - Lee Stempniak [RW] Traded to Pittsburgh

I expected a bit more from him offensively and defensively he took a step back from last season.​

#23 - Sean Monahan [C]

I am proud to say I was one of the guys arguing that we should pick Monahan over Lindholm, in his rookie season Monahan was better than anyone could have expected. As an 18 year old rookie I would have been happy with 10 goals and 20 points, I never considered for a moment Monahan would be score 22 and be as good in the shootout as he was. His 5 shootout goals were tops on the team. His 4 game deciding shootout goals were more than all his teammates combined and good enough to be tied for 3rd in the NHL. His 62.5% was also #5 in the league among all shooters with 5 or more attempts. What else can be said, the kid is money.​

#24 - Jiri Hudler [RW]

Hudler started off amazing and was on pace to shatter his career numbers, in the end his final numbers were quite close to where I expected. I knew he would be hot and cold throughout the year, I just thought the hot and cold stretches would be shorter.​

#27 - Derek Smith [D]

#28 - Lane MacDermid [LW] Retired
Rating: 1/5

I can't say I expected the guy to quit on his team.​

#29 - Reto Berra [G] Traded to Colorado

I know most will disagree here, but you aren't think about expectations when you rate him so lowly. None of us expected him to be in the NHL this year, it was expected that he would play for the Heat and get acclimated to the North American game and challenge for the backup job next year. We never expected him to get called up because MacDonald was ******** the bed and Ramo was recovering from ankle surgery and unable to play as much as needed and none of us expected Berra to get some of the worst goal support I have ever seen. For a guy that was adjusting to the North American game and was rushed into the NHL, he kept us in the games he played.​

#31 - Karri Ramo [G]

In the first half I expected him to struggle due to adjusting to the North American game again, but in the 2nd half he was splendid. He showed that he deserved to be the starter next year and earned his job. I thought he would improve in the 2nd half, but not to the degree he did.​

the rest will come later, it's 2:30am and I have to be up at 7:00am :(

Last edited:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Looking back......

with all the 1 goal games we were in....if you think about it, keep Iginla and his 30 goals...

we'd be playing tomorrow.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Looking back......

with all the 1 goal games we were in....if you think about it, keep Iginla and his 30 goals...

we'd be playing tomorrow.
1. If we keep Iginla we don't get Monahan.
2. With Iginla there would be less ice time to go around, especially on the PP and we would likely see 20-30 goals less around the rest of our lineup.
3. With Iginla I don't think we would have seen the profound emergence of Giordano. We also would've gotten lesser versions of other leader types I think. Guys like Backlund and Byron wouldn't have contributed as much.

Even then I think it's better to learn how to win without a franchise player like Iggy right away instead of losing him when we are a good team 2-3 years from now. Teach everyone how to win for each other as a team instead of leaning on a star. Letting him go was the right decision. I'm also a big Klimchuk fan so there's that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
continued from a few posts up

#32 - Paul Byron [F]

I was waffling little between giving Byron a 3 or a 4 here as nothing Byron has done really surprises me, however I never expected him to get the opportunity this year. As I have said to many, the guy is a pitbull. He may be small but his plays with an edge.​

#35 - Joey MacDonald [G]

Last year he was very impressive and outplayed Kiprusoff and I expected more of the same this year, but his play was a step down and bad enough early on that the Flames had to rush Berra into the NHL. He did redeem himself a little after the deadline, but too little too late, all in all he disappointed me.​

#37 - Joni Ortio [G]

I never thought Ortio would see the NHL this year, but the injury to Ramo and trading of Berra allowed him to get in a handful of games. He played well at the NHL level and he very much impressed me in the AHL as well. After his last North American stint I admittedly did not have very high expectations of him though.​

#38 - Ben Street [C]

Street was very impressive early in the season for the Flames, but once it was obvious that the Playoffs were a dream he was passed over for recalls due to no longer being a prospect. Down on the farm Street has matched or beaten hi offensive career highs. Street has matching his career high in assists and surpassed his goal and point highs by 1, but has done it in 15 fewer games. He has been one of the top players fro the Heat since the moment he was sent down.​

#39 - TJ Galiardi [F]

Like everyone I expected more from Galiardi. However unlike most others I am going to give him a pass on this year. This was a tough season for Galiardi and not just on the ice. First he was traded to his hometown team, a dream come according to his twitter account. His dream come true turned into a nightmare before he ever stepped on the ice as a close friend of his died in a boating accident. I personally believe playing at home following such a loss would have made it more difficult with constant reminders of his friend. Then the season started and he was seemingly always fighting some kind of injury for the first 3/4 of the season. Galiardi has played well in the final weeks of the season and by all accounts is a good guy in the room, so I would like to give him another year to prove his worth to this franchise.​

#41 - Chad Billins [D]

I didn't know what to expect from Billins as I really had no idea who he was when he was signed. So like everyone else I looked up his stats and various profiles. Seeing a small offensive defensemen, I didn't think he would get an opportunity to play for the club and saw his signing as strictly an AHL move. Offensively has was better than expected surpassing his career high in points and assists (both by 3) and matching his career goal total in 14 fewer games. Defensively he makes mistakes, too many to be an NHL regular. But all in all I was still impressed.​

#42 - Mark Cundari [D]
Rating: 1/5

He came into camp out of shape. He came into camp feeling like he deserved to be givena roster spot. He struggled badly early on with the Heat. The Flames thought so little of him they loaned him to Chicago. He recent call-up aside, Cundari was a huge disappointment this year as I expected him to put in the work needed to earn a roster spot.​

#43 - Chris Breen [D]

I expected the Chris Breen of last season, but that Chris Breen is no more. His injuries really hampered his skating ability this year, even in the AHL he has been underwhelming because of the injuries. I believe that without a shadow of a doubt Breen would be an NHL regular and have impressed the majority of you had you seen the version of him that existed last year. His play really disappointed me, but because of the injuries I am going to give him a 2 rather than a 1 and hope he gets another 1 year deal and a healthy season to show he is better than he has looked this year.​

#44 - Chris Butler [D]

The Butler did it! He improved him play significantly and has shown most of his detractors that he is indeed not useless and many proclaimed. Butler was solid in the defensive zone and solid on the PK as well as the #2 shot blocker in the NHL, I hope he is brought back for another year.​

#46 - Bill Arnold [C]

Too small of a sample size to say much. But in his limited action he looked like he might actually be NHL ready.​

#47 - Sven Baertschi [LW]

Offensively he was adequate, but he lacked commitment in the neutral and defensive zones. His all around game continued improving while on the farm and if he comes into prospect and main camps with this attitude he should make the team out of camp next year​

well to be continued (again), ready to go back to bed.

Last edited:

THEWEST

May 12, 2010
In the opinion of some, Cundari may have been a dissapointment in Abbotsford. That is not the case in Chicago. In 22 games played, he leads their D in points. Nothing wrong with that. Some players fit better elsewhere. As for the loan, it was a benefit to both teams. Per Ward's interview, Chicago wanted Cundari or no deal. Abbotsford was in desperate need of a player like Locke at that particular time and since they had quite a bit of D depth, were able to make the deal. Ward did not seem happy with the move but that it was a mangement decision.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
and hopefully the last of the guys.

#48 - Bryce Van Brabant [LW]

Very small sample size. I expected him to look completely overwhelmed while in the lineup but thought he played pretty well in a limited role. He was willing to get engaged physically and really only made the one big mistake that I can think of off hand.​

#51 - Ken Agostino [LW]

Another small sample size but I really liked how Agostino looked. He has an NHL calibre shot, skates well, is aware defensively and does not shy away from teh physical play. I don't think he will be an NHL regular next year but I imagine he will be one of the first call-ups.​

#53 - Johnny Gaudreau [LW]

Only a single game, but wow. Johnny Hockey exceeded what I expected to see in his NHL debut. He was a wizard at stealing the puck, his passes seemed like they had eyes and he was so elusive when he had the puck. I have never been so impressed in an NHL debut before. I have been an advocate that Gaudreau shoudl spend the 2014-15 season in the AHL, but now I am not so sure I was right, but he still needs to earn it out of camp.​

#54 - David Jones [RW]

I am not as down on Jones as most people, he put up a 15 goal, 30 point average which was about what I expected offensively. Jones was also one of only 3 forwards on the team to finish with a plus and he was a very disciplined player. Physically he was one of the best on the club, still finishing 3rd in total hits despite missing 34 games with injury. He was everything I wanted from him, except healthy.​

#55 - Shane O'Brien [D]

He lacked the physical presence that he was supposed to provide, he rarely blocked any shots and he received very little ice time. His only saving grace has been his work with the Heat, as he has been a great mentor for the youth and a solid addition to their blueline.​

#56 - Tyler Wotherspoon [D]

Wotherspoon only dressed for 14 games but was quite impressive, during that stint. He was solid in his positional play, made few mistakes and would often make a great first pass. Quite impressive for a 1st year pro, ideally he will get another year of seasoning before being asked to jump into the NHL line-up full time.​

#58 - Ben Hanowski [LW]

He didn't play enough time at the NHL level this year for most to get a read on him, but Hanowski has been asked to undergo a transformation as a player in his first year as a pro. Hanowski has been asked to play a checking role for the first time in his career and has worked hard on improving his skating which has indeed improved. He went from never throwing a hit to actually dropping the mitts this year in Abbotsford. During this transformation his offensive game has still been present scoring at over a 0.55 point per game clip in a checking role.​

#59 - Max Reinhart [LW/C]

Max only saw 8 NHL games this year, but down on the farm he has been the straw that stirs the Abbotsford drink. His time with the Flames this year was pretty average but his improvement down in the minors has been second to none. As a rookie playing a primarily defensive role Reinhart managed only 7 goals and 21 points for the Heat last year, this year however heading into the final weekend of play Max is tied for the team lead in points with 58 and has 20 goals. It is entirely conceivable that he could score more goals this year than he had points last year and good weekend could see him triple his point total from last year.​

#60 - Markus Granlund [C]

Granlund is another guy that had me eating plate after plate of crow. After putting up just shy of a point per game in the AHL he was recalled due to injuries and looked quite good. The kid looks like a player nearing the end of his first professional season. His shot is NHL quality and he is not a liability defensively, he may require a bit more seasoning before being ready for full time action though.​

Last edited:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The two biggest surprises for me this year were butler and Hartley. Honestly gio is the MVP amongst the players, but Hartley is the MVP of this teams hands down. So glad Burke didn't have his head in the sand on this one, great season ending endorsement from him.

Butler simply became a very useful player. Blocking shots, few giveaways, good first pass...I'd love to keep him around in the 4/5 role. However our d still needs more sandpaper and more RH shots. Gonna be interesting to see what happens to this blue line in the offseason.

TheClassicK*

Kenny Agostino (2/5) – Can’t remember much of him with the puck. Too early to tell how he’ll turn out to be but we’ll see after he spends a full year in the AHL.
Bill Arnold (3/5) – He was okay in his first NHL game, but like Agostino his game has to translate into the AHL first.
Mikael Backlund (4.5/5) – Extremely happy with how he did this season. Before he took off offensively, he was a defensive genius. Now he’s the best puck-carrier on the team and probably is the best Flames forward in terms of hockey IQ and offensive flair. With Hudler on his line and a new winger who can finish, he might be able to crack +60 pts next season.
Sven Baertschi (2/5) – He performed poorly even at development camp – which was evident during scrimmages and also the Young Stars tournament. He often got manhandled along the boards and wasn’t quick enough to chase pucks before the opposing defenders. He’s still our best offensive prospect though, so considering he gets quicker and faster, he’ll have a breakout season.
Chad Billins (1/5) – I just don’t see an NHL player in him.
Lance Bouma (4/5) – Very impressed with Bouma this season. Prime example of a bottom-line player who fulfills his role extremely well. He’s not afraid to dangle through defenders too, when given the chance.
Christopher Breen (2/5) – Like Billins, I don’t really think he will be good enough to play a full season in the NHL.
TJ Brodie (4/5) – Best young defensemen playing for the Flames since Dion Phaneuf and he certainly has the potential to be better. Absolutely love seeing him skate with the puck. Defensively, he’s great but his positioning and awareness need improvement.
Chris Butler (3/5) – He really found his game in the 2nd half of the season. Didn’t make as many mistakes and looked real confident joining the rush and skating with the puck.
Paul Byron (3.5/5) – He had an outstanding streak of games when he did everything – score, make plays, skate like the wind, check guys off pucks, and provide a general flair to the Flames’ offense. He kinda slowed down afterwards, so it’s a bit challenging to think he could do it for a full season.
Mike Cammalleri (3/5) – Some forget how bad he was during the 1st half of the season. He should’ve been better considering on paper, he’s the best forward we have. It’s ironic that a player as small as him can’t skate as fast as he should be. He was excellent in the 2nd half, but we can’t be competitive with wingers like him imho. Yes, he’s a leader in that dressing room but I think there are plenty who can fill his leadership role.
Joe Colborne (3/5) – He’s proved he can be a force along the boards, and now it’s a matter of being able to take the puck to the inside and take the play to the net. He has the skills and reach to do it. If he’s given more time on the PP, it’d be a reachable goal for him to have a +40 pts season.
Mark Cundari (1/5) – He is yet to show what he’s good at. I also don’t see an NHL player in him.
TJ Galiardi (1/5) – The worst forward on the Flames roster. He looked lost many times with the puck and just wasn’t able to make plays I guess.
Johnny Gaudreau (3.5/5) – Had an awesome game vs. the Canucks. You could just see that he sees the ice well and has excellent offensive upside. He’d be the perfect solution to Monahan’s line, providing that much-needed creativity. He’ll probably need a season in the AHL though.
Mark Giordano (5/5) – MVP, ‘nuff said.
Curtis Glencross (2/5) – He had an off year for sure. For most parts he looked unengaged and often had little jump in his forecheck.
Markus Granlund (3.5/5) – I thought he was as impressive as Gaudreau during his brief stint. There’s an offensive flair to his game and he looked very confident taking plays to opposition defenders.
Ben Hanowski (2.5/5) – Still don’t think he’s shown his abilities, maybe because of limited ice time. I think his agility needs improving.
Jiri Hudler (3.5/5) – Sure, he led the team in points but during the 2nd half of the season, he was not very good. Looked really slow with the puck and tried to pass too much, which was frustrating because a lot of times the pass didn’t get through or the pass got through but did not land on a teammate’s stick. He was the team’s MVP for the 1st half though.
Tim Jackman (1/5) – Didn’t even see him as a good 4th-line player.
Blair Jones (2/5) – He was generally okay when he came up but there are better players than him in the system.
David Jones (2/5) – I’d rather have Tanguay than David Jones. He’s big and can skate decently but cursed with horrible hands. I can’t believe he’s paid $4M.
Corban Knight (3/5) – Great in faceoffs, and looked steady defensively. He might be the best center prospect we have that fits into the 3rd line.
Lane MacDermid (1/5) – I thought van Brabant made more things happen right out of college, than MacDermid. Can’t believe he decided to call it quits. We actually have a history of prematurely retired players, as far as I can remember – Dan Ryder, Ryan Howse, and now MacDermid.
Brian McGrattan (3/5) – Enjoyed watching him fight when needed. Great influence on the team too.
Sean Monahan (4/5) – I didn’t expect him to score 20 plus goals but he was a really steady player for us. Just wish he improves his footspeed because at times he looked a step below the others in terms of skating. He also had difficulties making plays even strength, and especially on the PP – you could see the difference right away when Gaudreau was placed on the spot where Monahan usually was on the PP.
Shane O'Brien (2/5) – He was okay, but I genuinely don’t think he’s good enough to be one of the best 6 defensemen on any NHL team.
Max Reinhart (3/5) – He showed he can skate and make plays. He could be someone that can play really well on the 3rd line but has the offensive upside to play on the 2nd line.
Kris Russell (4/5) – Absolutely admired what he did this season. He’s such a smart player who knows how to carry the puck and go to open ice. He’s displaying the offensive skills that were ever present in his WHL days.
Ladislav Smid (3/5) – He was real solid for us as expected. I was hoping he’d be able to step on the 2nd pairing but it looks like he’ll be a steady 3rd pairing defensemen for us, which is great because he can still play +18:00 minutes per game and take the workload off of Gio, Brodie, and Russell.
Derek Smith (2/5) – Don’t remember much about him, but he certainly was better last season. Still not good enough for the NHL.
Matt Stajan (2.5/5) – Solely looking at the hockey side: I just don’t think we’re going to be a playoff team paying $3.1M for a player like Stajan. Yeah, he’s one of the leaders and sometimes makes great plays, but he just can’t seem to do it for a whole season. He’s an average skater with average puck-handling abilities, and we really shouldn’t have re-signed him.
Lee Stempniak (2/5) – He was very similar to Glencross in terms of not looking engaged and having the jump to compete.
Ben Street (2.5/5) – He’s an average player so he’s probably going to be an AHL player.
Bryce Van Brabant (3/5) – I thought he was pretty good as a 4th-line player. The hit he made on Robak was awesome, so I’m hoping he can improve our hits statistics for next season.
Kevin Westgarth (3/5) – Really good at his job as a checker.
Dennis Wideman (2/5) – Ah, where should I start? Can’t stay healthy, but when he is, he’s painfully slow at skating and decision-making, he’s horrible at getting shots through, he’s lazy and sometimes unaware – I remember seeing a lot of rebound goals against us when he was on the ice. What he can do well is moving the puck and stickchecking, but with the money he’s paid right now, he really should be much better.
Tyler Wotherspoon (3.5/5) – He was rock-solid along with Smid. He’d make an absolute beast of a shutdown defender in the future.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Kenny Agostino (2/5) – Can’t remember much of him with the puck. Too early to tell how he’ll turn out to be but we’ll see after he spends a full year in the AHL.

Chad Billins (1/5) – I just don’t see an NHL player in him.

Ben Street (2.5/5) – He’s an average player so he’s probably going to be an AHL player.
What did you expect from these guys to rank them so low? Or are you not rating based on expectations as was suggested in the OP?

Agostino at worst was average, Billins being in the NHL was way above expectations and Street sticking in the NHL as long as he did was also well above expectations.

TheClassicK*

What did you expect from these guys to rank them so low? Or are you not rating based on expectations as was suggested in the OP?

Agostino at worst was average, Billins being in the NHL was way above expectations and Street sticking in the NHL as long as he did was also well above expectations.
Yes, I did follow the suggestion of rating based on expectation.

Well, when Billins and Street were in the midst of their seasons in Abby, I figured they were playing really well according to their stats and the stuff I read on the forums, since it's difficult for me to watch Heat games. So I had a modest expectation of both, but when I saw Street get called up to play, I was a bit disappointed as games went on. Hartley did put him as center on that top line for a few games and that's when he could've impressed - not necessarily by putting up points, but playing an overall competitive game - but in my opinion, he didn't.

Billins on the other hand was I wasn't expecting him to be excellent defensively, but it meant that he had to show some NHL level puck-moving and offensive abilities, which I don't think he displayed to his fullest. I should've given him a 2 but I guess a 1 because I was quite disappointed.

As for Agostino, I guess everyone could say they're not expecting much from a college player to go play straight in the NHL but still, I found him to be below expectations by a very small margin. He was left out of the lineup for many games too, which was disappointing. Maybe the things Feaster said about Agostino unfairly raised some expectations for me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, I did follow the suggestion of rating based on expectation.

Well, when Billins and Street were in the midst of their seasons in Abby, I figured they were playing really well according to their stats and the stuff I read on the forums, since it's difficult for me to watch Heat games. So I had a modest expectation of both, but when I saw Street get called up to play, I was a bit disappointed as games went on. Hartley did put him as center on that top line for a few games and that's when he could've impressed - not necessarily by putting up points, but playing an overall competitive game - but in my opinion, he didn't.

Billins on the other hand was I wasn't expecting him to be excellent defensively, but it meant that he had to show some NHL level puck-moving and offensive abilities, which I don't think he displayed to his fullest. I should've given him a 2 but I guess a 1 because I was quite disappointed.

As for Agostino, I guess everyone could say they're not expecting much from a college player to go play straight in the NHL but still, I found him to be below expectations by a very small margin. He was left out of the lineup for many games too, which was disappointing. Maybe the things Feaster said about Agostino unfairly raised some expectations for me.
You really put unfair expectations on rookies.

TheClassicK*

You really put unfair expectations on rookies.

It's not unfair. You can't have almost no expectations for rookies and be satisfied however they play. You gotta put the same expectations for those rookies as you would do for any young player on the team. Especially for Billins and Street, they've been around the minors long enough. For them to graduate from that minor-league player status, they really have to perform above-expectations. But for me, they simply haven't.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's not unfair. You can't have almost no expectations for rookies and be satisfied however they play. You gotta put the same expectations for those rookies as you would do for any young player on the team. Especially for Billins and Street, they've been around the minors long enough. For them to graduate from that minor-league player status, they really have to perform above-expectations. But for me, they simply haven't.
Street was quite a bit better this year than he was last year, that is something you should have used to base expectations on. Not just look at minor league numbers and expect the same in the NHL. You also have to consider roles. In the AHL Street is one of the go to guys, he is more or less the Heat's version of Hudler, but in the NHL he was used in a checking role much like a Van Brabant. Street also made the team out of camp, not a single Flames fan can honestly say they expected that from him.

Billins was signed to be AHL fodder, or so we thought when he was signed. The fact he made the NHL is above expectations. The fact he put up 3 points in 10 games playing very limited minutes was extremely impressive. Hell I watched him play every game in the AHL and even I didn't expect that.

So yes, your expectations were way out of whack.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Street was quite a bit better this year than he was last year, that is something you should have used to base expectations on. Not just look at minor league numbers and expect the same in the NHL. You also have to consider roles. In the AHL Street is one of the go to guys, he is more or less the Heat's version of Hudler, but in the NHL he was used in a checking role much like a Van Brabant. Street also made the team out of camp, not a single Flames fan can honestly say they expected that from him.

Billins was signed to be AHL fodder, or so we thought when he was signed. The fact he made the NHL is above expectations. The fact he put up 3 points in 10 games playing very limited minutes was extremely impressive. Hell I watched him play every game in the AHL and even I didn't expect that.

I won't quote your several posts but great analysis! It was a pretty good year overall I find.

TheClassicK*

You can check my previous comments to see I never said that.
I did not expect him to make the team out of camp, but isn't the purpose of this thread to rank how they actually performed up here according to expectations? I still didn't think he played as good as I hoped, even in checking roles.

You really had a low expectation for him, didn't you? Yes, he was signed to play in the minors but you knew that he'd be one of the first ones given a chance to play for the Flames when someone gets injured, so I wouldn't feel right saying "the fact he made the NHL is above expectations". He was a defensive liability even during those limited minutes, and like I said he failed to balance it out with the offensive abilities. It'd be ridiculous saying stuff like "I expected nothing of him so I'm still satisfied how he played". You can't say that, it's the NHL ffs.

Nah, I think yours was too low. It's a young team here, you didn't expect them to make the playoffs but you had to expect they'll be giving it their all to fight for regular spots. Some can be guilty of not doing that.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
You can check my previous comments to see I never said that.
I did not expect him to make the team out of camp, but isn't the purpose of this thread to rank how they actually performed up here according to expectations? I still didn't think he played as good as I hoped, even in checking roles.

You really had a low expectation for him, didn't you? Yes, he was signed to play in the minors but you knew that he'd be one of the first ones given a chance to play for the Flames when someone gets injured, so I wouldn't feel right saying "the fact he made the NHL is above expectations". He was a defensive liability even during those limited minutes, and like I said he failed to balance it out with the offensive abilities. It'd be ridiculous saying stuff like "I expected nothing of him so I'm still satisfied how he played". You can't say that, it's the NHL ffs.

Nah, I think yours was too low. It's a young team here, you didn't expect them to make the playoffs but you had to expect they'll be giving it their all to fight for regular spots. Some can be guilty of not doing that.

Well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad