Salary Cap: 2013-14 Roster/FA Discussion & Cap Tracker

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Current cap situation:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Danny Cleary ($1.750m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Xavier Ouellet ($0.894m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
Jared Coreau ($0.925m)

OTHER
Buried: Gustav Nyquist ($0.025m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,267,045; BONUSES: $2,991,667
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $24,621

So we are 24k under the cap. LTIR-guys Helm and Eaves are removed from these numbers to see it easier where we are. In reality we'll have 27-man roster, where Helm+Eaves are LTIR guys and Gustavsson+Tootoo are IR guys.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Current cap situation:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Danny Cleary ($1.750m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Xavier Ouellet ($0.894m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
Jared Coreau ($0.925m)

OTHER
Buried: Gustav Nyquist ($0.025m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,267,045; BONUSES: $2,991,667
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $24,621

So we are 24k under the cap. LTIR-guys Helm and Eaves are removed from these numbers to see it easier where we are. In reality we'll have 27-man roster, where Helm+Eaves are LTIR guys and Gustavsson+Tootoo are IR guys.

Well, that makes more sense... Thanks Henkka.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Imagine putting together the cap hits of Sammy, Bert, Cleary and spend it on a top line player? There'd even be cap space and a roster spot for Nyquist left!

That's a team that could win. Not cup favorites, but probably top3 or 5.

Now we're looking at two pretty lines on paper and another two lines put together by spare parts. I'm trying to be positive about our "depth" but it's just sad roster management to start out with that lineup.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Imagine putting together the cap hits of Sammy, Bert, Cleary and spend it on a top line player? There'd even be cap space and a roster spot for Nyquist left!

That's a team that could win. Not cup favorites, but probably top3 or 5.

Now we're looking at two pretty lines on paper and another two lines put together by spare parts. I'm trying to be positive about our "depth" but it's just sad roster management to start out with that lineup.

What top line player are we talking about?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What top line player are we talking about?

The point is that we are placing big money on guys who aren't difference makers. And while I hate comparing three players to one, they make out the cap hit of one Datsyuk. Think about that for a second. There's no bang for the buck. You can have one $2M veteran on your team, not two, and absolutely not three.

It's especially infuriating since we have Nyquist and Tatar, who together make equal money or less than any one of these players.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
The point is that we are placing big money on guys who aren't difference makers. And while I hate comparing three players to one, they make out the cap hit of one Datsyuk. Think about that for a second. There's no bang for the buck. You can have one $2M veteran on your team, not two, and absolutely not three.

It's especially infuriating since we have Nyquist and Tatar, who together make equal money or less than any one of these players.

That wasn't your point. You said Imagine what top line player we could have signed with that money. I'm asking you who specifically we could have signed with that spare money.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
That wasn't your point. You said Imagine what top line player we could have signed with that money. I'm asking you who specifically we could have signed with that spare money.

Signed, traded for, whatever. It's subjective, but joe's point was that the money allocation lately has been extremely poor. Would Anaheim have traded Bobby Ryan to the Wings if the Wings offered a 1st, Nyquist and a defensive prospect? Maybe. But no one can say for sure.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Nathan Horton. Horton in place of those 3, with Nyquist and Tatar, also gives us a much better team.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Horton
Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm/Sheahan-Miller

Way better team.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Nathan Horton. Horton in place of those 3, with Nyquist and Tatar, also gives us a much better team.

Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar

Way better team.

Yeah, but not signed for 6 years. He's not that good and his cap hit wasn't low enough to justify it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, but not signed for 6 years. He's not that good and his cap hit wasn't low enough to justify it.

Rather spend 6 million on Horton than 3 stinky crusty turds. Even if it's long-term. Just trade him if you get in cap trouble, or buy him out.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
That nine million dollar bottom six looks virtually worthless. I am very sad. I don't even know what the role of the bottom six is. Third line looks like a scoring line, but that line is very slow and injuries are just a matter of time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I still think it causes too many issues and Horton is extremely injury prone.

I understand where you are coming from. But having Sammy, Bert, and Cleary causes more issues and fixes no problems. In my opinion.

If Horton doesn't do it for you.

I'd gladly take Grabovski over those 3.
Or I would gladly take Filppula back over those 3.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I understand where you are coming from. But having Sammy, Bert, and Cleary causes more issues and fixes no problems. In my opinion.

If Horton doesn't do it for you.

I'd gladly take Grabovski over those 3.
Or I would gladly take Filppula back over those 3.

Yeah but I think 2 of the 3 are gone next year. I (hope) there will be better options than Horton.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah but I think 2 of the 3 are gone next year. I (hope) there will be better options than Horton.

I appreciate your optimism Heaton, but that seems really quite doubtful at this point.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Signed, traded for, whatever. It's subjective, but joe's point was that the money allocation lately has been extremely poor. Would Anaheim have traded Bobby Ryan to the Wings if the Wings offered a 1st, Nyquist and a defensive prospect? Maybe. But no one can say for sure.

Except, whenever someone brings this point, they never identify any realistic specific option. So what I get from this argument, is that they COULD have signed Mr. Invisible All Star with all that empty cap space. So, likely, instead of having this non-identified all-star, we end up with empty cap space.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Except, whenever someone brings this point, they never identify any realistic specific option. So what I get from this argument, is that they COULD have signed Mr. Invisible All Star with all that empty cap space. So, likely, instead of having this non-identified all-star, we end up with empty cap space.

That doesn't excuse the bad contracts though, Jman.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar

Way better team.

Grabovski. Jagr. Iginla. Brunner. Ryder. I really like the idea of being able to sign Grabovski and letting him center the third line, pushing Andersson down to the fourth line center. Given cap and roster space the possibilities with our roster open up quite a bit.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
that despres for nyquist deal proposed at trade forum wasn't that bad. i'd do it if despres was right handed. would prefer tatar though as babcock seems to like nyquist little more.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
that despres for nyquist deal proposed at trade forum wasn't that bad. i'd do it if despres was right handed. would prefer tatar though as babcock seems to like nyquist little more.

Yeah I thought tatar would be the move. Nyquist might yet make it in detroit.

Good news janmark got two more assists hehe our bigger guys are looking good so prospects have a chance sometime in the future:)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

I think the value is there, but who Depres slot in for? I think we have a bunch of similar guys in our pipe and on the team already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad