Confirmed with Link: 2013-14 Realignment approved

void

Jan 5, 2006
I think this deserves its own thread.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun:
And you may have seen, the NHL's Board of Governors has voted in re-alignment. So that four-division framework is a go for next season

Habs new division:

Boston
Buffalo
Detroit
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto

realign_img.jpg

Playoffs

The Stanley Cup Playoffs will still consist of 16 teams, eight in each conference, but it will be division-based and a wild-card system has been added as a new wrinkle.

The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the Conference Championship series.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=660138

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I don't really like the 16 vs 14 conference thing. I guess it's to be expected that the NHL doesn't care about things being equal, considering they have no problem with some games are worth 3 points and others worth only 2.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
I love the fact that we get to see the Wings more often even they are not what they are used to be. Also, 4 or the original 6 in the same division!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Re-alignment Helps Habs?

Anyone else happy to be in a division with two previously South East teams?

The new division will include the Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Buffalo Sabres, Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Top 3 teams of each division make it in and the final 2 will be wild cards of either division with the best records.

Sooo, if Montreal finishes top 3 they're in. If they don't they'd need a to be one of the top 2 teams of the bottom 10 teams. Given the teams in the conference, it seems to me that we'd have a better chance of making the playoffs on a year to year basis than we've had in the past.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
So the teams in the West will have more chances (8/14 vs 8/16... a 7% differential!) to make the playoffs than the East based teams? It seems unfair: in the long run, it may help them in their attempts to sign big name UFAs.

With everything else being equal, it also boost the value of the West franchises: more playoffs games = more $.

Weird.

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com
Having detroit in our division is great right now because they aren't the powerhouse that they used to be. However, Holland is one of the best GM's in the game, I wouldn't expect Detroit to be weak for too long. So this could hurt us as much as help

BeBen*

So stupid

Give Quebec and Seattle a team already so we can have balanced divisions or conferences

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
So teams in the West will have more chances (8/14 vs 8/16... a 7% differential!) to make the playoffs than the East based teams? It seems unfair: in the long run, it may help them in their attempts to sign big name UFAs.

NHL will probably expand to 32 teams. Seattle should be 1

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
They definitely should have put Columbus or Detroit in Division B. Makes no sense to move both to the East and have uneven conferences.

Also, division D travel time is going to be a joke compared to the rest. I guess the NHL would rather have the Habs and Leafs selling out games in Florida rather than make travel even.

Regardless, pretty excited to see how this works out. I definitely think this will get rid of the perennial weak division that is guaranteed a high playoff spot. Big plus.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So dumb to do this with only 30 teams in the league. They should have waited until there was 32, which seems inevitable at this point.

In the meantime they could have just switched Winnipeg with Columbus or Detroit.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
does anyone know the schedule format...

vs. our division? (6games?)
vs. our conference? (4games?)
vs. out of conference? (2games?)

Western Conference (7-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 29 games

* 5 games vs. five teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. two teams, 2 Home/3 Away vs. three teams) AND 4 games vs. one team (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 5 =25 games

* 1 X 4 = 4 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 21 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. three teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 7 = 21 games

Non-Conference: 32 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 16 = 32 games

(Exception: one team from each division plays one less game inside Division and one more game inside Conference outside Division)

Eastern Conference (8-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 30 games

* 5 games vs. two teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. one team, 2 Home/3 Away vs. one team) AND 4 games vs. five teams (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 2 =10 games

* 4 X 5 = 20 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. four teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 8 = 24 games

Non-Conference: 28 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 14 = 28 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad