Post-Game Talk: 2013-14 Playoffs Round 1: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montréal Canadiens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
What I just don't get is the choice to place a Quebec native into the Montreal series. There is no other series he could be placed into? My father is an official for high school football and baseball. When I was in high school, he was not allowed to officiate ANY games involving my school. I didn't play on any of our teams, but he still wasn't allowed to do it. The organization didn't want to put themselves into a bad spot. And this is ****ing BS high school garbage, not the NHL playoffs! Those that truly don't want their integrity questioned don't put themselves into that situation.

BobBobrovsky*

What I just don't get is the choice to place a Quebec native into the Montreal series. There is no other series he could be placed into? My father is an official for high school football and baseball. When I was in high school, he was not allowed to officiate ANY games involving my school. I didn't play on any of our teams, but he still wasn't allowed to do it. The organization didn't want to put themselves into a bad spot. And this is ****ing BS high school garbage, not the NHL playoffs! Those that truly don't want their integrity questioned don't put themselves into that situation.

They actually should not let Canadian refs. do any games involving Canadian teams, nor should American refs. be permitted to officiate games involving American teams. With a billion Chinese people and and close to a billion Indians, that is where the NHL should be looking for its officials for playoff games.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
They actually should not let Canadian refs. do any games involving Canadian teams, nor should American refs. be permitted to officiate games involving American teams. With a billion Chinese people and and close to a billion Indians, that is where the NHL should be looking for its officials for playoff games.

I agree. It's just the most logical thing to do to make sure the refs don't ever steal a game from Tampa Bay ever.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

I agree. It's just the most logical thing to do to make sure the refs don't ever steal a game from Tampa Bay ever.

You can keep talking **** all you want, but Montreal fans would have rioted had they lost a key game like that due to officiating. You guys have that in your history.

It just doesn't make sense to place a Quebec native into a series involving Montreal and then get surprised when integrity questions arise. You are knowingly putting yourself into that situation and then trying to shame people who question your choice.

BobBobrovsky*

You can keep talking **** all you want, but Montreal fans would have rioted had they lost a key game like that due to officiating. You guys have that in your history.

It just doesn't make sense to place a Quebec native into a series involving Montreal and then get surprised when integrity questions arise. You are knowingly putting yourself into that situation and then trying to shame people who question your choice.

Too bad. Any NHL ref. should be, and is, able to ref. any any NHL game, regardless of where he is from. Otherwise your league is a complete joke. If he's not competent enough then fire him or don't give him any more playoff games. The solution that you propose is, no offense, beyond ridiculous and I guaranty you that the NHL will NEVER go that route because it makes no sense at all.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Too bad. Any NHL ref. should be, and is, able to ref. any any NHL game, regardless of where he is from. Otherwise your league is a complete joke. If he's not competent enough then fire him or don't give him any more playoff games. The solution that you propose is, no offense, beyond ridiculous and I guaranty you that the NHL will NEVER go that route because it makes no sense at all.

Sorry to tell you, but the league is a joke. That's why things like this happen. Making sure officials don't have any interest in a playoff series is beyond ridiculous? Ok buddy :laugh: Good chat, now go scurry back to your board.

BobBobrovsky*

Sorry to tell you, but the league is a joke. That's why things like this happen. Making sure officials don't have any interest in a playoff series is beyond ridiculous? Ok buddy :laugh: Good chat, now go scurry back to your board.

What "interest" do you know of that Charron has in this series? He's an NHL ref. His only interest is that he keeps his job and gets to ref. in more playoff games, which is a sign of advancement. BTW, I think he made the wrong call but to accuse him of bias because he's from Quebec is mind-numbingly stupid. I actually feel sorry for you if this is how your thought-process functions in the real world, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are just letting your emotions as a fan get the better of you.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

You know Quebec is a big province, right, and just as many Quebecer's outside of Montreal hate the habs, righ,t and are salivating at the chance the Nordiques return. This guy being from Quebec isn't even remotely similar to your dad being your dad.

You lost, get over it. The refs weren't the reason why, you got outplayed all series long. Hopefully you can right the ship tonight. There is no need to question someones integrity because you are ignorant.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
What "interest" do you know of that Charron has in this series? He's an NHL ref. His only interest is that he keeps his job and gets to ref. in more playoff games, which is a sign of advancement. BTW, I think he made the wrong call but to accuse him of bias because he's from Quebec is mind-numbingly stupid. I actually feel sorry for you if this is how your thought-process functions in the real world, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are just letting your emotions as a fan get the better of you.

I'm glad I have your pity. It really means a lot to me.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You Quebec is a big province, right, and just as many Quebecer's outside of Montreal hate the habs, righ,t and are salivating at the chance the Nordiques return. This guy being from Quebec isn't even remotely similar to your dad being your dad.

You lost, get over it. The refs weren't the reason why, you got outplayed all series long. Hopefully you can right the ship tonight. There is no need to question someones integrity because you are ignorant.

Ohhh, another coming to give me their love :) Please unleash the full extent of French-Canadian justice on me.

BobBobrovsky*

I'm glad I have your pity. It really means a lot to me.

I'm sorry but your argument is just dumb. You think Charron wants to jeopardize his NHL reffing career because he might have been a Habs fan as a kid. I mean come on, that is just childish thinking. This is his profession and livelihood.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm sorry but your argument is just dumb. You think Charron wants to jeopardize his NHL reffing career because he might have been a Habs fan as a kid. I mean come on, that is just childish thinking. This is his profession and livelihood.

Oh man, the love is overpowering me. Please keep insulting my argument as if yours means anything to me.

Pro-tip: You are wasting your time here. Best to just take the "scurry" advice I gave before.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
All of you need to shut up :)

Why do you guys care what each other think. You guys are all wrong for caring what someone on the internet says/thinks.

BobBobrovsky*

Oh man, the love is overpowering me. Please keep insulting my argument as if yours means anything to me.

Pro-tip: You are wasting your time here. Best to just take the "scurry" advice I gave before.

I'm still waiting for you to provide some proof that Charron blew the call because he wants the Habs to win. He blew the call because he made a mistake.

BTW, I am a CBJ fan first and foremost.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
BTW, I am a CBJ fan first and foremost.

Putting this conversation aside, what the hell happened to you guys last night? You had the 2-1 lead in the series in your hands then lost it. I was rooting for you guys, Dubi almost tied it again, he has been playing very well. Dubi was my favorite Ranger next to Cally of course.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa

If you don't have something nice to contribute please don't come here. We don't need any argument

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Yes, and if the Lightning win tonight, Game 5 should have a referee from Florida. It's only logical right? Hab fans can try to justify it all they want but it's still dumb. There are many refs from outside Quebec and Florida - get one from BC or Western USA. Why did that game need a rookie playoff ref from Quebec? He wasn't even a playoff veteran.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yes, and if the Lightning win tonight, Game 5 should have a referee from Florida. It's only logical right? Hab fans can try to justify it all they want but it's still dumb. There are many refs from outside Quebec and Florida - get one from BC or Western USA. Why did that game need a rookie playoff ref from Quebec? He wasn't even a playoff veteran.

Don't try to use common sense. They will just say that your argument is dumb without really proving anything themselves.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Charron is from Ontario.

Also, the NHL is making it up to you tonight: Chris Lee is the referee.

Habs are 3 and 13 when he's calling games. You WILL win tonight.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site

I've wanted to stay out of this discussion, particularly on the Lightning forum, but I don't understand the logic. I'd have no problem at all with the series being entirely officiated by Floridian-born officials. I trust professionals are, well, professional. And if they make a bad call, then I may chalk it up to them being bad at their job, or that the league hasn't equipped them properly with the ability to review, but I don't attribute it to where they were born. The official in question is 30 years old. I'd assume he's had more eventful experiences in his life that sway his emotions than where he was born. Further, self-interest (for his profession) dictates that he'd not demonstrate any bias.

On the call itself: I think it was a bad call. I think the justification for it is tenuous. There is seemingly some room to justify it, per the rulebook, but immediately upon seeing it, I felt it was an atrocious call. I maintain that now. It's unfortunate. And it's unfortunate that it happens in the league. It's not a French deal, nor is it a Montreal deal. The claim that alleges Montreal gets a whole lot of hometown calls doesn't hold water, which is why you never see statistics presented with this claim.

By the way, not that it matters, but Gatineau -- the town/area that Charron is from -- is essentially part of Ottawa. He's not from Montreal. He's from the province of Quebec, but that doesn't make him a Montreal fan. He would've been in elementary school when the Senators came to town, and could just as easily have grown up a Senators fan. Again, though, he's a professional, and I struggle to think of professionals looking to make the NHL as officials only to disregard their hard work of having made this their career and sacrifice it to support the team that they grew up liking -- not to gain any credit for doing so, and at great personal/career risk.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How much money did everyone lose from that call? If none then get over it, if you lost some double down on Montreal tonight and then get over it.

We have played like hot garbage the whole series, we didn't deserve to win any of the games so far. We are beyond awful in our own end, Habs speed and transition is killing us, they are shutting down our zone entry, we have no secondary scoring, this is all a recipe for failure and it's showing being down 0-3. We just need one to salvage some pride.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
How much money did everyone lose from that call? If none then get over it, if you lost some double down on Montreal tonight and then get over it.

We have played like hot garbage the whole series, we didn't deserve to win any of the games so far. We are beyond awful in our own end, Habs speed and transition is killing us, they are shutting down our zone entry, we have no secondary scoring, this is all a recipe for failure and it's showing being down 0-3. We just need one to salvage some pride.

In all fairness even though lindy has not played exceptional.

With healthy fully healthy palat and filppula we lead this series 2-1 imho.

First game played like hot garbage flipper and palat were non existent and everyone can claim stamkos is most important player to team and he is in certain ways but those two playing healthy equal stamkos or more.

Third game fully healthy both of them with the bad calls and the rest I really think we pull that game out too.

Flipper still aint 100% and I doubt if Drej is either.

They ARE VITAL to this team because of the lack of EXCEPTIONAL goaltending and the lack of even good defense.

Plus when they are out or hurting this brings everyone up a position that makes them less good at their regular jobs etc.

I think if we had been healthy this was an easy series going our way myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad