GDT: 2013/14 Out of Town PLAYOFFS thread - D'Angelo's Number 9 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Its no different than the chest thumping we were subjected to all season long by the pro Loui pom pom waivers every time Eriksson made a routine hockey play that every other player is capable of making. Hey Loui just made a pass of the half wall that didn't get intercepted! He's going to be great here! Hey Loui got a tertiary assist! Alert the world! He's playing better! :laugh:

Yeah it's all been ridiculous and we've all been guilty of contributing to some of it but at least Eriksson is still a player on this team? We should be fairly invested in his playing. Although the analyzing and commenting on every play is way overkill.
Seguin playing well on another team shouldn't send Bruins fans into fits of remorse or fits of wildly defending Eriksson/Smith.
Otherwise this is gonna be a long 5 or however many long years until Seguin's contract is up haha.

member 96824

What is the STL injury situation right now?

Everyone on the team is hurt, I believe most of the season ticket holder base is on the IR as well.

I think most are game time decisions, but I believe everyone but Oshie and Berglund will be back...including the Tarasenkshow

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
So wait, they saw him as a non-core player, so they traded him.

That's a hockey decision.

They didn't trade him because the needed cap space, or were in cap trouble. You buy out Chris Kelly if you are, not trade your best offensive player.

Why is it so hard for people to just say this was a hockey trade. If anything, the anti-trade people should be spewing this crap, and that is what it is, sorry.

The pro-trade people don't need any more justification than it was a hockey trade, pure and simple.

If the cap was a consideration in trading their 21-year-old that led the team in scoring the season before then my opinion of Chiarelli is going down. (But it wasn't, so it isn't.)

And then you have $4M to fill 3 holes on your top 3 lines with nothing to show in return on a team that's built on offensive depth.

But you're right a "hockey trade" can't also involve salary considerations, when working in a system with constraints. Particularly one where the landscape changed drastically over a 12 month period and after the trade the team has had to employ LTIR and a bonus carry over to be compliant.

It shouldn't have any bearing on your opinion of PC considering he's managed it well.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Everyone on the team is hurt, I believe most of the season ticket holder base is on the IR as well.

I think most are game time decisions, but I believe everyone but Oshie and Berglund will be back...including the Tarasenkshow

Yup Tarasenko and Backes supposed to play tonight. Too bad I was hoping they'd do some damage in the West this year.

Although I don't think I'll ever tire of watching Miller lose :nod:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Well, I do have experience in that regard. My advice would be to take that infraction and frame it, to my knowledge they don't really infract crazy people talking to themselves in an unrelated thread.

Which brings me to my next point. If you want to kill a conversation about a certain topic regardless of what thread you're in (and you're not a mod with smiting powers) simply don't contribute to it. If no one else does it will simply die on the vine (or we get the aforementioned crazy person scenario).

Meh. The train is already back on the tracks, and I take full credit for it. :D

I may not be a mod, but I am a god. Just like David Krejci. :yo:

And I have no clue who is coming out of that NYR series alive. I lean towards Mike's 45-55% take. Hank and MSL are big xfactors.

member 96824

It shouldn't have any bearing on your opinion of PC considering he's managed it well.

If I drive my car off a bridge, and then manage to some how drive it out of the river without a scratch. I hope you'd still say "WTF were you doing driving your car off the bridge in the first place?"

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah it's all been ridiculous and we've all been guilty of contributing to some of it but at least Eriksson is still a player on this team? We should be fairly invested in his playing. Although the analyzing and commenting on every play is way overkill.
Seguin playing well on another team shouldn't send Bruins fans into fits of remorse or fits of wildly defending Eriksson/Smith.
Otherwise this is gonna be a long 5 or however many long years until Seguin's contract is up haha.

You'd like to think so, but agendas are everywhere. This may come as a shock to certain people, but I'm rooting hard for Loui to tear up the playoffs for the Bruins this year. :laugh:

Kaoz*

PHI/NYR STL/CHI LA/SJ with a little COL/Minny peppered in.

It's going to be another fantastic night in the BrainofJ household.

Just wish the St Louis/Chi game started later. Have to be switching back and forth between them and the Flyers game. Always miss something good when I do that then spend 15 minutes waiting for a replay.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
If I drive my car off a bridge, and then manage to some how drive it out of the river without a scratch. I hope you'd still say "WTF were you doing driving your car off the bridge in the first place?"

:laugh: This is more like coming to an uncontrolled intersection in a blizzard and saying "Welp, gotta go at some point" and getting narrowly missed by a semi you didn't see.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Flyers were hot toward the end of the season, but then went cold at the very end. They were 4-8 in their last 12 games. Before that cold streak at the very end they were beating the likes of Pit (twice), Chicago, and StL. They definitely have the talent to beat NYR, but I suppose it will depend on which team shows up for them. At this point I believe it is 50-50 on who wins that series. If Philly can get some good goaltending they have the ability to make some noise in the East.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That's because they let him grow at center and while the handful of times here he played his natural position, he was looking over his shoulder, expecting the hook if he made even a small mistake.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Why exactly does Boston have a problem developing finesse players? Kessel. Wheeler. Seguin. All gone. All putting up numbers on other team's first lines.

Simple answer- because finesse hockey is not the style of hockey that the Bruins as an organization has adopted. Players play the game the way the team wants it played or they don't play here.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
And then you have $4M to fill 3 holes on your top 3 lines with nothing to show in return on a team that's built on offensive depth.

But you're right a "hockey trade" can't also involve salary considerations, when working in a system with constraints. Particularly one where the landscape changed drastically over a 12 month period and after the trade the team has had to employ LTIR and a bonus carry over to be compliant.

You said it was the number one consideration.

But you can move the goalposts now all you want, I still think you are way off. They traded Seguin for one reason and one reason only, they thought it gave them a better chance to win the cup this year and probably next.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Nope, as long as you attend the next Penguins Player Haters ball.

Well, I already hate Cindy Crosby, James Neal and Brooks Orprick so I'm well qualified.

I'll be sure to root for Columbus to leave them beaten and injured next game.

member 96824

:laugh: This is more like coming to an uncontrolled intersection in a blizzard and saying "Welp, gotta go at some point" and getting narrowly missed by a semi you didn't see.

Chia has the control though, he gave Seguin the contract.

You can't say the move was because he didn't want to allocate that amount of cap to Seguin, and then say he did a good job managing the cap. If that's your stance, than he messed the cap up in the first place!

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
You said it was the number one consideration.

But you can move the goalposts now all you want, I still think you are way off. They traded Seguin for one reason and one reason only, they thought it gave them a better chance to win the cup this year and probably next.

I'm not moving goal posts, in fact I'm not even sure you're arguing anything different than I am. It gave them a better chance to win because they could allocate their cap space to better fit the model of the team. Having Loui/Iggy/Smith/Kelly gave them a better shot than having Seguin/scrub/scrub/scrub because if they didn't move Seguin that's what they would have had to deal with due to ... wait for it ... cap constraints.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Chia has the control though, he gave Seguin the contract.

You can't say the move was because he didn't want to allocate that amount of cap to Seguin, and then say he did a good job managing the cap. If that's your stance, than he messed the cap up in the first place!

But you have to consider that a) he knew it was a movable commodity regardless (it's not like he was going to say "meh we don't like him, let's not give him a qualifying offer) and b) they likely could have afforded the contract had there not been a significant reduction in cap.

Going into the lockout plenty of teams locked up their assets and then decided to play catch up with the fall out. Which is the exact opposite of MOC did during the previous lock out (remember how successful that approach was? :) )

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm not moving goal posts, in fact I'm not even sure you're arguing anything different than I am. It gave them a better chance to win because they could allocate their cap space to better fit the model of the team. Having Loui/Iggy/Smith/Kelly gave them a better shot than having Seguin/scrub/scrub/scrub because if they didn't move Seguin that's what they would have had to deal with due to ... wait for it ... cap constraints.

Uuuuuugh.

You said the cap was the number one consideration. I am saying it wasn't a consideration at all. So no, we aren't arguing the same thing.

And saying the options were Loui/Iggy/Smith/Kelly or Seguin/scrub/scrub/scrub is so intellectually dishonest that you broke my will to have this conversation.

Signing Iginla had nothing to do with the deal by the way. Peverly most likely would have been amnestied no matter what. But that doesn't fit your false narrative, so whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad