2013-14 Minnesota Wild Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
DGB summarizes findings on Carrying the puck v. Dump and chase

It turns out that crossing the blue line with possession is worth more than a dump-in.

How much more? Quite a bit, according to this paper presented at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.10 After tracking more than 300 games from the 2011-12 season, the authors found that, even when accounting for the higher failure rate of carry attempts, that approach still generated roughly twice as many shots, scoring chances, and goals as dumping in the puck and trying to retrieve it.

Of course, it's not quite that simple. There's a reason why teams started embracing the dump-and-chase strategy all those years ago, and it still holds true today: Gaining the offensive zone with possession is difficult. You have to avoid turning over the puck on your way in. If you make an extra move, you may put your teammate offside. And at the moment you do gain the zone, you quickly become vulnerable to a defender because you can't bring the puck back out. Even if you can manage all that while still protecting the puck, there's a decent chance you're going to end up taking a hit for your troubles.

We're never going to see the day when the dump-and-chase play is going to go away, but the research suggests that smart teams will rely on it less.14

Is that actually happening, though? Are any NHL teams changing their strategy based on this kind of thinking?

Yes, as it turns out. One prominent example: the Minnesota Wild, a classic dump-and-chase team last year that made the playoffs with that style of play. But after the Wild realized they were going to need to beat elite divisional rivals like the Blackhawks and Blues to get to the next level, the Minnesota brain trust decided to shift strategies. As outlined in this recent post by Elliotte Friedman, Minnesota has decided to focus on gaining the zone with the puck.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I'd like to see numbers on the Wild's strategy. We heard and read a lot about it when the season started, but what about now?

I wish someone would break our games down, because it looks like we're dumping much more than the beginning of the year, especially with Granlund out now.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I wish someone would break our games down, because it looks like we're dumping much more than the beginning of the year, especially with Granlund out now.

We are dumping extremely more now than we were at the beginning of the year. In all honesty, I wonder if its the players liking this approach better than how it was at the beginning of the season.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
We are dumping extremely more now than we were at the beginning of the year. In all honesty, I wonder if its the players liking this approach better than how it was at the beginning of the season.

I sincerely hope not.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Rupp, Haula & Fontaine actually are all rotating wings. One constant is Konopka, so appears he draws back in vs #sjsharks. Other line intact
Harding gets the start vs #sjsharks; Konopka back in for #mnwild; Yeo said Coyle's best practice after talking to him about his game
Coyle, who's struggled in circle, staying after team bus has left St. Thomas to work on his draws with Darby Hendrickson and Zenon Konopka

Cool news.

Billy Mays Here*

Cool news.

Not for me. Yeo is doing it all wrong.

Coyle is playing his best hockey at wing, so why Yeo keeps trying him at center is beyond me.

Haula has looked best playing center, yet Yeo is now making him a winger, and on the 4th line to boot?

If it were me I'd keep Coyle alongside Zach and Mikko and have Haula center Nino and Pommers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Coyle is playing his best hockey at wing, so why Yeo keeps trying him at center is beyond me.

Haula has looked best playing center, yet Yeo is now making him a winger, and on the 4th line to boot?

If it were me I'd keep Coyle alongside Zach and Mikko and have Haula center Nino and Pommers.

Makes sense... a little too much sense...

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Coyle is not good at center. He has a 37% FO% and his biggest asset is his strength, especially along the boards, playing Wing lets him play to his strengths.

Pominville has been better on the top line the last few games but I still would rather have Coyle there and not at Center.

I'm not saying he is good at center. I'm only saying Pominville is better on the top line than Coyle is. Pominville is just straight up better than Coyle, for now, though, so really he's better on every line than Coyle is. My point was that, with the top line clicking with Pommer on it, it will be interesting to see what Yeo does when Granlund comes back. Nino-Granlund-Coyle was a line for all of one game this year. It's a lot of youth to have on one line, so will he break up the top line?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN

I agree that Coyle should be moved back to wing and Haula moved to 2C.

But I thought it was cool to hear Harding is getting the start next game and that Coyle took his criticism constructively and seems to already be working on fixing it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would agree with that. I still think Fontaine will become Mitchell's replacement.
Fontaine is too one-dimensional. I don't see him being a consistent NHL player. Not enough skills for full-time top-6 duty, zero of the non-offensive qualities needed for long-term bottom-6 duty. The guy is fast and has a nose for the net, but his passing ability is eh, he never lays hits, and he's weak on the puck.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

I like this!

Coyle looked bad at center, losing draws and kind of playing dumb. Like turning the puck over on the PP.

The only problem is that Heatley is going well now with Nino.

I'd like to see:

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Nino - Haula - Heatley
Cooke - Brodziak - Coyle

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I want to see Brodziak gone after the season. He's great defensively but offensively his contribution is close to none.

Billy Mays Here*

I really wanna see Harding lead the league in all four goalie categories so I can use that as my avatar. Shouldn't be a huge deal since Crawford is now injured (he leads the league in wins with Harding one win behind him). Just need Scrivens to start sucking.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Has a player ever gone from winning the Masterson to winning a Vezina/Norris/Hart/Richard?

I wonder if Harding would be a front-runner for Vezina?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Has a player ever gone from winning the Masterson to winning a Vezina/Norris/Hart/Richard?

I wonder if Harding would be a front-runner for Vezina?

Well, one big question is who is doing well in the East?

Bishop is, but he plays for an obscure team...at least to the easternly biased media.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I feel like Harding has been stealing headlines lately - even in the East.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Maybe. But if we want Harding to have a chance, we need to make sure he has a monster season the rest of the way.

Billy Mays Here*

Stoner hasn't scored a goal in the last 78 games :D

Perhaps not but he's been solid defensively, has brought some grit and hasn't ****ed up too much this season so he's doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad