2013-14 Minnesota Wild Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i'm optimistic about making the playoffs.

going to round two? 30-70. still wouldn't be mad as we'll likely get beat by one of the top two teams in the West, who no one in their right mind would claim we should take in a season series or best of 7. We're right where we should be in the timeline. Kids are developing on schedule and doing a pretty good job with the extra minutes they're sharing due to injuries. Next year they'll be that much stronger, and we'll likely have room for some projected grinders to step in. and we'll have some youth on the fourth line in roles they're meant for. Gabriel, I think, might make it in the Rupp/Konopka role.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
i'm optimistic about making the playoffs.

going to round two? 30-70. still wouldn't be mad as we'll likely get beat by one of the top two teams in the West, who no one in their right mind would claim we should take in a season series or best of 7. We're right where we should be in the timeline. Kids are developing on schedule and doing a pretty good job with the extra minutes they're sharing due to injuries. Next year they'll be that much stronger, and we'll likely have room for some projected grinders to step in. and we'll have some youth on the fourth line in roles they're meant for. Gabriel, I think, might make it in the Rupp/Konopka role.

Probably too soon for Gabriel next year, but Bulmer, McMillan or maybe this Gogol guy might be up for the task.

I have high hopes for the 2015-2016 season, assuming no career injuries, and a few of our recent draft picks (Gunnarsson, Bussieres, Olofsson, Draeger. Graovac, and of course Eero Elo) pan out

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Goaltending is obviously a problem. But if keumper is the goalie of the future and if they want to make the playoffs every year is going to have play in them at some point. I also think wild match up well against Anaheim.(the first game they played against them they outplayed them even though they lost they also have beaten them at home).

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Call me crazy but out of Anaheim St. Louis and Chicago I'd say we match up against Chicago the best. We've beaten them more than once in regulation in Chicago this year..name another team that has done that.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Call me crazy but out of Anaheim St. Louis and Chicago I'd say we match up against Chicago the best. We've beaten them more than once in regulation in Chicago this year..name another team that has done that.

Playoffs are a little different animal than the regular season. I would love to play Anaheim first then Chicago and (Gulp) St.Louis in that order in the first round

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Playoffs are a little different animal than the regular season. I would love to play Anaheim first then Chicago and (Gulp) St.Louis in that order in the first round
Agreed. If the Wild are healthy and motivated, they can probably beat most other teams in the West. It will be tough, but they are better than last year when they actually played pretty well against the eventual Cup Champions.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Agreed. If the Wild are healthy and motivated, they can probably beat most other teams in the West. It will be tough, but they are better than last year when they actually played pretty well against the eventual Cup Champions.

If the Wild played in the East I wouldnt be scared to play any one of those teams to be honest. I only fear St.Louis in the West. I think Chicago and Anaheim and maybe San Jose "probably" would beat us also but it wouldnt shock me if the Wild beat any of those teams

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
still want to play chicago. we did alright vs them last time (all things considered) with a weaker team, and I think we've played them more consistently close than we have any of our other opponents. STL could get in penalty trouble if the playoffs get called closely and the Wild (nor the Hawks for that matter) have a stellar PP to take advantage of what I think will be their main weakness. The ducks will end up injuring our goalie by game 3

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
still want to play chicago. we did alright vs them last time (all things considered) with a weaker team, and I think we've played them more consistently close than we have any of our other opponents. STL could get in penalty trouble if the playoffs get called closely and the Wild (nor the Hawks for that matter) have a stellar PP to take advantage of what I think will be their main weakness. The ducks will end up injuring our goalie by game 3

I completely endorse this post.

Game three is being generous however. My money would be on game one with Perry slashing at poor Keumper with his skates like a cat, trying to kill him of course.

Getzlaf would be skating around with the puck in our zone, laughing at our guys, just punching them all and knocking them around like flies.

Just, not the Ducks... (Coldsweats and flashback to 2007)...:help:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
very cute - not sure if you guys passed this around yet or not

D64D0nR.gif

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
8 points back of Colorado and in their next eight games they play TB, StL, Chicago x2 and Anaheim. While not a cakewalk, our toughest games are Vancouver, StL, Dallas, NYR and Columbus. Add in getting Koivu and Scandella back... time to make a little run perhaps?

I think if we can get within 4-5 points by Mid-March, we'll have a very good opportunity to pass them up.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
If this team could just learn to be more consistent on the road.

One thing I really don't understand is, I believe in Yeo's first year, he had this team playing really well on the road, and consistently for much of the year until their epic collapse after Christmas. And our roster is better now than it was then, plus the guys should be more comfortable playing with each other than last year.

I know we're in quite probably the toughest division right now, so that could have at least a little to do with it, but that should not be unmanageable for what does appear to be a decent team overall.

I feel like there is a good opportunity for this team to gain a little ground on, say Colorado, by maintaining our good home play, then if we could just be at around .600 on the road. This is not out of scope for this team.

If we could pass Colorado we might stand a chance at actually winning a series as well:naughty:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If this team could just learn to be more consistent on the road.

One thing I really don't understand is, I believe in Yeo's first year, he had this team playing really well on the road, and consistently for much of the year until their epic collapse after Christmas. And our roster is better now than it was then, plus the guys should be more comfortable playing with each other than last year.

I know we're in quite probably the toughest division right now, so that could have at least a little to do with it, but that should not be unmanageable for what does appear to be a decent team overall.

I feel like there is a good opportunity for this team to gain a little ground on, say Colorado, by maintaining our good home play, then if we could just be at around .600 on the road. This is not out of scope for this team.

If we could pass Colorado we might stand a chance at actually winning a series as well:naughty:

Since Jan 1st, the Wild have won 5 out of 9 road games, and got points in 7 out of 9 (OT losses to SJ and Calgary). If they can maintain that pace, I like our chances.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Road games remaining:

Vancouver
Dallas
Boston
NYI (back to back)
NJ
Detroit
St. Louis
Phoenix
LA
Chicago
Winnipeg

Not a whole lot of gimmes there.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Although our defense still isn't quite there yet. It's incredible how much better they have been in years past. The arrival of Suter and Brodin not only made our top pair elite, but the play of the other 4 has improved. Even Stoner has been decent this year, Prosser as well. Spurg and Scandella have been solid for as this year. It's amazing how much better our D looks when they play in their comfort zone because Suter/Brodin eat up so many minutes against the other teams top guys. Suter and Brodin were monumental for the franchise. After years of garbage, we are incredible lucky to have these guys for the foreseeable future.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Road games remaining:

Vancouver
Dallas
Boston
NYI (back to back)
NJ
Detroit
St. Louis
Phoenix
LA
Chicago
Winnipeg

Vancouver - W
Dallas - Loss (its in Dallas we never win)
Boston - Loss
NYI (back to back) - W
NJ - W
Detroit - loss
St. Louis - Loss
Phoenix - W
LA - loss
Chicago - loss
Winnipeg - W

so a possible 5-6 record?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Vancouver - W
Boston - Loss
NYI (back to back) - W
NJ - W
Detroit - loss
St. Louis - Loss
Phoenix - W
LA - loss
Chicago - loss
Winnipeg - W

And then if we get points in some of the losses, I think 5-3-3 would be respectable.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Road games remaining:

Vancouver
Dallas
Boston
NYI (back to back)
NJ
Detroit
St. Louis
Phoenix
LA
Chicago
Winnipeg

If we want to consider winning a playoff round, then the bolded are the only teams that should really give us worry, and of those, we still need to be able to beat at least two of them and take it to the others.

St. Louis should be the hardest of that group as they are our kryptonite:help:

There is a decent chance for us.

I just really hope we don't have another period of **** play coming up.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I just really hope we don't have another period of **** play coming up.

I talked to someone who said the Wild's puck luck lately has been insane. I haven't looked into it yet, but a worse stretch is probably inevitable at some point. That doesn't have to mean totally **** play, but I would expect the results to be worse than lately.

You're not crazy. I agree with you, but the problem is that as far as we can tell now, out of the 3 possible opponents you mentioned Chicago is the least likely.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Vancouver - W
Boston - Loss
NYI (back to back) - W
NJ - W
Detroit - loss
St. Louis - Loss
Phoenix - W
LA - loss
Chicago - loss
Winnipeg - W

987.gif

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
The wild's schedule here on out is kinda scary. They need about 11 wins to get to 95 points...I see like 7-8 should wins and a lot of tough games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad