2013-14 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: #2

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Zad, add Ruh. Anybody read or watched anything on Hurley lately?

He's over a point/game since being traded to Green Bay (18 pts in 16 games). He plays on a line with Nick Schmaltz, who seems to be projected in the final 1/3rd of the 1st round based on many of the rankings. The two have good chemistry with each other. Both were excellent for Team USA at the U19 World Junior A Challenge.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Well, had Pysyk and Girgensons been available for the poll, Grigs would've been #5, which is a big drop from where he was in the preseason poll. I had Pysyk, Girgs, Zads, and Ristolainen all passing him on my list. So there's that. Also, Armia hasn't made a strong case so far this year, either, else he would be ahead of Grigs, too. After Grigs and Armia, I think we have some solid, projectable players, but none who have ceilings anywhere close to Grigs and Armia.

The thing that keeps me hopeful about Grigs is that I think he can be successful on the wing with guys like Reinhart/Bennett and McDavid/Eichel. If Grigs is on a line with a dominant puck possession player like those guys will be, I think we'll see a lot more from him.

I think we shared a similar perspective on Grigorenko towards the end of last year, and that opinion was driven farther this year with his play and the demotion debacle...

but for me, it affects my ranking/projection much more. Maybe I give more weight to current development and likelihood to reach ceiling, where as you give the majority of weight to talent?

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I might get flak here but I've got McCabe over Zadorov by a hair. If Girgs were eligable I'd have slotted him here but McCabe is still top 3 for me.

Add Possler. Didnt see him on the last poll.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I think we shared a similar perspective on Grigorenko towards the end of last year, and that opinion was driven farther this year with his play and the demotion debacle...

but for me, it affects my ranking/projection much more. Maybe I give more weight to current development and likelihood to reach ceiling, where as you give the majority of weight to talent?

Until they're 20 I view a player on what he can become because everyone develops maturity at different rates and so I always give the benefit of the doubt until they hit 20. After that I start forming lasting impressions, **** or get off the pot time. Grigs falls to 3 in my rankings not because he hasn't made an impact in the NHL but because Risto and Zadorov have been so sexy.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
He's over a point/game since being traded to Green Bay (18 pts in 16 games). He plays on a line with Nick Schmaltz, who seems to be projected in the final 1/3rd of the 1st round based on many of the rankings. The two have good chemistry with each other. Both were excellent for Team USA at the U19 World Junior A Challenge.

Good to know. With the way college rule extending the ELC's for NHL organizations, Hurley might be on our prospect poles for a long time. I need to see him tested beyond the USHL. That U19 tourney is a good sign, but from what I understand, the USA was stacked while other countries had a skeleton crew of talent on their rosters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad