2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, Proposals, and other Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Leweike said no one is untouchable

Still doubt they have the guts to move Kessel even though I think it's what's needed

Here's hoping

If kessel is being traded for a guy like Jonathan Tavares (as much as I love Kessel) I'll drive him to the airport. Aside from that I don't see us trading him...I only can hope that we should go for a guy like Charlie Coyle who is a very smart young player.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
2014 1rst,Gudbranson,Bjustad

Kessel,Bozak,Franson.:nod:

Say what you will about the "fairness" of the trade but players like Bozak and Kessel bring people off their seats. That could be a kind of bargaining chip when making a trade with a market like the Panthers--they need people in the seats. Sure that doesn't mean that the trade will happen but wouldn't Kessel remind some of the Panthers faithful of Bure? Defensive hockey wins games but high-octane offense is fun as hell to watch.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm calling it right now, 2015 1st + Gardiner + Lupul for Thornton and it will be praised like no end and end up being a horrible move for the leafs.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm calling it right now, that trade has no chance of happening.

Will not happen, however I can see lupul going there.

I hope it doesn't but it shows how much confidence I currently have in this organization, this is there MO has been for the last 20 years give up youth for help now, would not surprise me at all to see something similar to this should the Sharks want to move Thornton.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Will not happen, however I can see lupul going there [San Jose].

Sharks seem to be pretty flush to the cap with a lot spent on their forwards already, so I think Lupul's salary would prevent that, considering they already have guys who can put up the same numbers and play a more complete game.

IMO St Louis would be the most likely destination for Lupul - offensive creativity looks pretty valuable when it's the only thing your team lacks, and they are in a better cap position than SJ so they could overspend a bit in cap space if they're filling their need.

Back to the Sharks - if there were one Leaf SJ might want to trade for, I think it would be Phaneuf. They're definitely a win-now team, and with Boyle's 6.7M coming off the books this year, Phaneuf's salary would basically replace that. But not sure if they could put together a package for him without taking away too much their current group.

But generally speaking, when a team as good as the Sharks underperforms in the playoffs as long as they have, management starts looking for "proven playoff experience" - i.e. rings. Not sure they'd really be interested in any of our current group, beyond signing Bolland as a UFA this summer if the money were right (which it probably wouldn't be.)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Back to the Sharks - if there were one Leaf SJ might want to trade for, I think it would be Phaneuf. They're definitely a win-now team, and with Boyle's 6.7M coming off the books this year, Phaneuf's salary would basically replace that. But not sure if they could put together a package for him without taking away too much their current group.)

Can't put together a good enough package? If San Jose calls and offers to take Phaneuf for nothing, Nonis should jump all over it. Just getting rid if that contract would be a huge win.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I hope it doesn't but it shows how much confidence I currently have in this organization, this is there MO has been for the last 20 years give up youth for help now, would not surprise me at all to see something similar to this should the Sharks want to move Thornton.

I definitely agree that it would be a very Leafs thing to do, but I think we're in good hands for once.

Nonis, the GM for at least right now, has said he won't trade youth for veterans, and has so far proven true to his word. His MO does include trading 2nd rounders for players in their 20s, but not giving up major pieces or first rounder.s

Shanahan, his new boss, made it pretty obvious that he has no need to make a big splash just because he's the new guy in town at his press conference. He's a cerebral guy and I believe he's thinking long term, even if he's unexperienced for the moment.

And if Nonis (or a new GM) starts feeling anxious and feels the need to make mortgage-the-future-to-win-now-and-save-my-job type moves, that's where Shanahan steps in and vetoes the deal.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Can't put together a good enough package? If San Jose calls and offers to take Phaneuf for nothing, Nonis should jump all over it. Just getting rid if that contract would be a huge win.

Phaneuf is making slighly more than Boyle, and will be younger at the end of his "horrible" contract than Boyle is now.

See, if I hated a player on the Leafs and thought he was really overrated, I'd be happy he was overrated cause it could lead to a good return... but then some people think suggesting horrible trades for said hated player gives him his "deserved" punishment.

Anyway... back to the real world where Phaneuf is a legitimate top-pairing defenceman. I don't know if SJ would want to fill a hole by creating one somewhere else.

MarkLeftBehind

Jun 24, 2013
Alberta
I'm calling it right now, 2015 1st + Gardiner + Lupul for Thornton and it will be praised like no end and end up being a horrible move for the leafs.

It would take something pretty crazy for me to ever consider not being a Leafs fan anymore and that trade might just do it.

If that happens, someone is losing their job.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
After they lose tonight the Sharks should be busy this offseason

They just signed Marleau and Thornton too. I'm not sure if Doug Wison has the balls to trade either one of them to shake it up. I know some don't like him but if Thornton ever was made available for a fair price, I would really consider it... but he's up there in age and I would not give up much in terms of youth... so I guess it would never happen.

Boyle is definitely gone though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They just signed Marleau and Thornton too. I'm not sure if Doug Wison has the balls to trade either one of them to shake it up. I know some don't like him but if Thornton ever was made available for a fair price, I would really consider it... but he's up there in age and I would not give up much in terms of youth... so I guess it would never happen.

Boyle is definitely gone though.

Wilson has shown a lot of patience with this group... But after this loss? One of only what, four or five teams EVER to lose after being up 3-0, and they do so by losing game seven 5-1?

Wilson's patience might finally be at its end. Id be interested in McLellan too, if he got the axe because of this loss.

Thornton? He'll be 35 this summer. I think its way too risky, because we'd essentially be going "all-in" trying to win in Thorntons twilight years. And he'd cost a pretty good package. So yea, agreed with you on that, I doubt the price (considering his age) would make sense.

If Pavelski or Couture are available though? Yea, id be more interested. Again, depending on the price. Theyre obviously less likely to be available though, since Wilson could sell off Thornton, Marleau, Niemi, and even Burns, and then retool around Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Vlasic, etc.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
With the rumoured interest in Kulikov early this past season and at the 09 draft, I could see a Kulikov/Lupul based deal.

That's interesting. Love Lupul, but Kulikov would be a nice piece to have. Another LHD, but big, two-way, young. A big blockbuster deal with Florida would be awesome.

After they lose tonight the Sharks should be busy this offseason

Altough we have some bottom 6 wingers from the Marlies ready to play, I'd love to have Torres. Toronto boy who hits like a truck and wants to play here. Also very like Sheppard, we may need a bottom 6 center if we loose both Bolland and McClement. Carrick is awesome and a big part of our future IMO, but don't want to rush him, develop him another year in the AHL.

This would be a young, physical bottom 6 who plays with heart, good defensively and can chip in offensively.

Komarov - Sheppard - Ashton
Torres - Holland - D'Amigo
With Bodie, Abbott and Hartikainen competing for 13th spot, and Orr/McLaren for 14th.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
a good second round pick for nothing is not great...and people complain about kessel trade :laugh:

Not sure I get it... losing a 2nd round pick for nothing does not make bolland a 'huge blow' loss for us. This has a bit of a sunk cost fallacy to it. We gave up picks, player might not have worked out, we either commit to term and contract or walk away when we probably should and cut our losses.

Wonder what Colorado will do now that they're out. I've always liked PA Parenteau as a talented 2nd line RW. Would make a great replacement for Kulemin IMO.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That doesn't really mean anything. Many analysts were taken back by how little players were fetching on the market. Weaver for a 4th, Robidas for a conditional 4th, Gaborik for Frattin and a 2nd. Did we really expect Kulemin, Bolland and Raymond to pull in more than a 3rd at those prices? A 3rd is ok, easy to say we wish we would have done it now that we tanked, but Nonis cannot completely abandon the trappings of playoff hockey - it is a business after all.

don't look at me and hint at revisions history, look at my post record

I was calling for the shipping of the pending UFAs all along.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Say what you will about the "fairness" of the trade but players like Bozak and Kessel bring people off their seats. That could be a kind of bargaining chip when making a trade with a market like the Panthers--they need people in the seats. Sure that doesn't mean that the trade will happen but wouldn't Kessel remind some of the Panthers faithful of Bure? Defensive hockey wins games but high-octane offense is fun as hell to watch.

Well, consider some of the things Flos ownership has said.

Add in they now have bobby lou in net.

Insulation for JH and Barkov.

The marketing potential of the American top scorer and Olympic semi hero in Kessel, sense could be made of this.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
what if we totally forget about the Islanders and focus on the Canucks(6) Winnipeg(9)or Carolina (7)

Carolina:
Lupul
3rd Rd 2015

Toronto
2014 1st Rd

I don't see why the Canes would do this.

1) Canes are already VERY salary top heavy with Staal, Staal, Semin, and Skinner taking up almost $29M in salary next year. Adding Lupul's salary would mean they would have very little money to fill out the rest of the roster and defense.
2) Canes under Francis (per his and Muller's comments) are looking to get bigger, faster, and better defensively.
3) Lupul will be 31 and has missed 40% of the games in recent seasons. Even in his "healthier" years, he misses a dozen games.
4) Canes have very little prospect depth.

Don't get me wrong, IF he can stay healthy, Lupul is a very good offensive player and is worth his salary, but that's a risk that a team like the Cane's can't afford to take, especially in the situation they are currently in.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
don't look at me and hint at revisions history, look at my post record

I was calling for the shipping of the pending UFAs all along.

But that's the point... for 3rds, 4ths and 5ths there wasn't enough incentive to mail in the season in the eyes of Nonis & Co. I don't like it now, but I can't say I don't see where they were coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad