2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, Proposals, and other Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Agreed, Bolland can walk. He's not worth nearly 5mil.

An article mentioned recently that one of the biggest issue the team allowed itself to sign players at the peak of their value in their careers to long term deals. I feel like Bolland is another one of these, although whether he's at the peak of his value is arguable. Chicago didn't feel he was worth the $3.375 relative to what he provided. How we would ever think he's worth 1. more 2. worth it long term is just way outside the scope of what's reasonable here. It's unfortunate that it worked out this way, but Nonis has to hold firm here and not re-sign this guy if that's what he's asking for.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Very possible. :laugh:

Either way, supposedly he's not a fan of certain core players and is sick of he PK. This isn't breaking news or anything but if what this guys says is true, the dressing room is a mess.

(Sorry, I hate to be the unsubstantiated rumour guy)

That's interesting. It certainly seems to align with the smoke that's surrounding the team these days.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I was really surprised how quickly people wrote off the idea of acquiring Dustin Brown when it was brought up a couple threads back.

I would love Brown. He would add physicality and leadership, two things we seriously lack. Sure, he's overpaid, but in a different team system, he's likely to put up 25/25 IMO.

That Clarkson contract really hurts what we can do with our wings though...

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
How many of us here wants to pull the Colorado trade of Erik Johnson with Larsson being available for scoring depth in NJ? Yes he hasn't been able to put his game together but he has been able to be that #1 guy this year. Adam Larsson has been touted like Erik Johnson and can become that late bloomer.

Would you trade Kadri for Larsson+? Kadri is a great players but he is not an effective player for our team. I'll just post the trade down here between Colorado and St. Louise Blues.

To :avs
Erik Johnson
Jay McClement
1st rd. pick

To :blues
Kevin Shattenkirk
Chris Stewart
2nd rd. pick

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I've been banging the Robidas drum for awhile.
He's looked really solid since returning from injury and doing a bit of everything like always. He would be a good steady defensive minded player to pair up with one of the young kids.

I wonder if you could get him for 2 years at 4 million per.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Just as a thought:
In: Brown, Stastny
Out:
Lupul, Kadri

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
XXXX - Stastny - Brown

Is a much more well rounded top six, IMO.

i really like this top 6. i don't see how we can squeeze brown and stastny under the cap. lupul's salalry gets swapped for brown's but how does stasny's 6.5M+ fit in?

i can't imagine clarkson getting moved? maybe phaneuf?

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Clarkson, Phaneuf I think they should both be moved making the Leafs keep some of each contract, which is brutal considering the length of these contracts but Leafs management deserve this. I think Phaneuf gets moved first though as Clarkson can only get better.

I would like to see Leafs go after MIKE GREEN. I think this is the ideal help at D, he only has 1 ore year on contract and I hear Caps may be cleaning house.
Mike Richards from LA is another that we should wink at. Mike Richards, Stastny or someother C I think would allow us to move Kadri (In a dream worlds Kadri-Reimer plus more can bring us Evander Kane).

World championship hopefully raises value of Leafs players lol

Im really stretching here but Mike Green for me would be an incredibly start by Shannahan (get rid of Nonis).

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Clarkson, Phaneuf I think they should both be moved making the Leafs keep some of each contract, which is brutal considering the length of these contracts but Leafs management deserve this. I think Phaneuf gets moved first though as Clarkson can only get better.

I would like to see Leafs go after MIKE GREEN. I think this is the ideal help at D, he only has 1 ore year on contract and I hear Caps may be cleaning house.
Mike Richards from LA is another that we should wink at. Mike Richards, Stastny or someother C I think would allow us to move Kadri and something good In a dream worlds Kadri-Reimer plus more can bring us Evander Kane).

World championship hopefully raises value of Leafs players lol

Im really stretchign here but Mike Green for me would be an incredibly start by Shannahan (get rid of Nonis).

Mike Green?
This team is trying to get better defensively not worse :laugh:.
All Green would do is stunt Rielly and Gardiner's growth.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Hint: it's the two guys that will make the most money next year.

Ugh so upsetting if true. I mean, Kessel gets a complete pass in accountability to play a certain way when needed, but no others do. That alone should cause a few heads to shake. I really hope we get rid of both to be honest.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
If mclement and bolland both walk would you prefer an over payment for a free agent or do you think we could retool from within ?

Would love to see carrick, gauthier given shots in pre season, theyre exactly what we need in bottom 6, but who knows if theyre ready.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If mclement and bolland both walk would you prefer an over payment for a free agent or do you think we could retool from within ?

Would love to see carrick, gauthier given shots in pre season, theyre exactly what we need in bottom 6, but who knows if theyre ready.

A mix of both.

Holland should be a lock.

The other will likely be from outside the organization. Via free agency or trade.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario

...I love Carrick and we need more players like him in the system...He's 22 and looks ready to me...feisty...hard working...developing offensive game...If he needs another year in the AHL though, so be it...Gauthier...not dominating two levels below the NHL , but improving nicely,is no where ready for NHL action...

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
i really like this top 6. i don't see how we can squeeze brown and stastny under the cap. lupul's salalry gets swapped for brown's but how does stasny's 6.5M+ fit in?

i can't imagine clarkson getting moved? maybe phaneuf?
...The merry go round continues...WE have big time cap problems going forward and we are going to take on Dustin Brown's salary at 600 grand more than Lupul's for 5 years more (til 2022)?...and on top of that sign Stastny for say 7 yr @ 6-7 mil per year?...This stuff has to stop...

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
...The merry go round continues...WE have big time cap problems going forward and we are going to take on Dustin Brown's salary at 600 grand more than Lupul's for 5 years more (til 2022)?...and on top of that sign Stastny for say 7 yr @ 6-7 mil per year?...This stuff has to stop...

:laugh: fair enough.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
What about Malholtra for a cheap vet stop-gap?

Don't like it. No such thing as stop-gaps when you're not contending. If you're not good enough stop-gaps just lead to mediocrity: finishing 16th to 25th overall. I'd rather give the position to Holland and see what he can do with some actual ice time, and/or Kadri on the 3C assuming we bring in another C. Otherwise, I think there are better options than Malholtra.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Don't like it. No such thing as stop-gaps when you're not contending. If you're not good enough stop-gaps just lead to mediocrity: finishing 16th to 25th overall. I'd rather give the position to Holland and see what he can do with some actual ice time, and/or Kadri on the 3C assuming we bring in another C. Otherwise, I think there are better options than Malholtra.

I was thinking for the 4th

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
Malholtra

That's a lot of youth at C. Having a vet in the ranks might help. The only problem would be if RC stays. He'd play MM ahead of both of them most nights.
What other cheap free agents are out there this year?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Yah... I dunno, I mean, couldn't really hurt, but I'd like to see youth fill those roles. I don't see Malholtra doing more than McClement did.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I was thinking for the 4th

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
Malholtra

That's a lot of youth at C. Having a vet in the ranks might help. The only problem would be if RC stays. He'd play MM ahead of both of them most nights.
What other cheap free agents are out there this year?

If that is our center depth going into next year, boy are we in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad