Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No I really don't have faith in this team to ever be anything more than a playoff bubble team as it currently is.

But to get to that next level will require us taking a step back.

Teams like Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, LA overloaded on picks, prospects, futures when they weren't contending and this involved selling off pieces that fans of those teams also liked. But having a massive influx of cheap, young talent is what changed the fortunes of these teams.

And you're not at all wrong but there are other ways around it. Holland is a great example why he may be out bes 3rd round pick ever. He even comes mature.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Gaustad landed a first round pick.

First round picks are sooooo overrated on these boards. Our past 1st rounders: Biggs, Percy, Gauthier. I would trade any of these three for another lupul.

Just because our organization is incapable of drafting quality players shouldn't negate the value of 1st round picks

You sound like the Leafs organization for decades

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
And you're not at all wrong but there are other ways around it. Holland is a great example why he may be out bes 3rd round pick ever. He even comes mature.

I'm actually a fan of the Holland trade as he was a great buy low high upside deal. Similar to Grabo for a 2nd which did turn out well for us for quite a few seasons.

However, Holland, Bernier, etc. cost assets and with us already having a weak prospect pool and down picks where does the next wave of assets come from?

I think we need to be sellers and trading someone like Lupul who isn't a long term fit cause of age would be a case of us finally selling at a high value point for piece that isn't part of the long term instead of having a McCabe, Tucker, Sundin who we lose for nothing or even negative value or probably most comparable a Kaberle situation (where we could have once had Carter + 1st or been a major piece in the Kessel deal but instead we ended up with a lot less).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I just hope Nonis has the balls to sell a few pieces that he doesn't intend to re-sign, heck even sell off a player like Franson for future assets would probably be smart if the value is there.

I do not want to let go of too many players for nothing. Grab some picks and then reload.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Leafs should be able to get at least a 1st or 2nd round pick out of dealing:

Kulemin, Raymond, and Franson

Fraser might be able to net a 4th or 5th round pick

Hell you could probably get a 4th or 5th rounder for Trevor Smith too

Maybe considering dealing McClement for a 3rd or something and try resigning him in the offseason?

I'd rather resign Bolland but he could get a 2nd round pick too if the Leafs really wanted...

There are other options than Lupul who, like it or not, is a core piece to trade for assets.. IMO Lupul's really the only top 6 forward that plays with visible emotion on the ice and looks like he gives a damn

I'd give the core pieces another run at it for next year, and only look to move some of them if the **** the bed again

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs should be able to get at least a 1st or 2nd round pick out of dealing:

Kulemin, Raymond, and Franson

Fraser might be able to net a 4th or 5th round pick

Hell you could probably get a 4th or 5th rounder for Trevor Smith too

Maybe considering dealing McClement for a 3rd or something and try resigning him in the offseason?

I'd rather resign Bolland but he could get a 2nd round pick too if the Leafs really wanted...

There are other options than Lupul who, like it or not, is a core piece to trade for assets.. IMO Lupul's really the only top 6 forward that plays with visible emotion on the ice and looks like he gives a damn

I'd give the core pieces another run at it for next year, and only look to move some of them if the **** the bed again

I think Bolland will have the highest deadline value of any UFA headed Leaf.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
When might ownership step in?
This could become a real mess if not fixed soon
It's a breakdown leaning towards a meltdown

I think Nonis has to make a huge trade just to save his own job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events