Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapleleafs Fan*

No thanks, JVR=Kane +1m more cap hit. Adding Gards is a loss.

I know we all love JVR but as long as I think Kane 2 years younger and he can carry the puck far more aggressively than JVR does. He is another Kessel. And JVR hasn't proved that he is a PPG player while Kane is.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wowuld rather trade them for Evander Kane. Which is available right now and that means no serious overpayment.

Seems like a waste of assets by the Leafs for an asset that doesn't fill a need. Plus the difference between JVR and Kane isn't Gardiner.

Also, I doubt very much Kane is available other than a "serious overpayment".

Mapleleafs Fan*

Seems like a waste of assets by the Leafs for an asset that doesn't fill a need. Plus the difference between JVR and Kane isn't Gardiner.

Also, I doubt very much Kane is available other than a "serious overpayment".

Alright would you trade JVR and Gardiner for a center? It will leave our LW wide open. We already have centers the only way we are trading a center is by getting rid of 1. If you wanna trade a star center start from Kadri and then add up.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Alright would you trade JVR and Gardiner for a center? It will leave our LW wide open. We already have centers the only way we are trading a center is by getting rid of 1. If you wanna trade a star center start from Kadri and then add up.

It would depend on the Center. Kadri and Gardiner for a #1C I'd consider depending on who it is.

A partner for Phaneuf is the greatest need, IMO. Not a Center or Winger.

Mapleleafs Fan*

It would depend on the Center. Kadri and Gardiner for a #1C I'd consider depending on who it is.

A partner for Phaneuf is the greatest need, IMO. Not a Center or Winger.

We're looking out side because we lack trust in our own players. Gardiner can do a better job and a little influence from coach can improve Gunnarson's play but they're playing with tremendous pressure from RC that's the reason they're not giving their best out there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We have good quantity depth on the blueline, but we need more quality... if that make sense.

Patience is key though. Phaneuf was a patience trade and so was the JVR one. I'd look for a team that needs to shakeup their core or need better depth than quality due to cap issues and what not.

With Rielly, Percy and likely Finn coming up, the quality should get better... but being a bit more aggressive right now may not be a bad thing either.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We're looking out side because we lack trust in our own players. Gardiner can do a better job and a little influence from coach can improve Gunnarson's play but they're playing with tremendous pressure from RC that's the reason they're not giving their best out there.

Gunnarson is the misfit here. He doesn't necessarily have to leave but he needs to be off the 1st pair.

Mapleleafs Fan*

We have good quantity depth on the blueline, but we need more quality... if that make sense.

Patience is key though. Phaneuf was a patience trade and so was the JVR one. I'd look for a team that needs to shakeup their core or need better depth than quality due to cap issues and what not.

With Rielly, Percy and likely Finn coming up, the quality should get better... but being a bit more aggressive right now may not be a bad thing either.

I liked Percy in yesterday's game. Going in corners to get the puck, making hits before they can enter our zone just like Chicago did against us. He was the 3rd star and tremendous all around performance from him.

Also T.J. Brennan, oh my god he is superb out there. Finds perfect position for a slap till then he doesn't shoot his passing game is good. Just have to be a little more accurate at defense but he will be there at the end of the year.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Gunnarson is the misfit here. He doesn't necessarily have to leave but he needs to be off the 1st pair.

Agreed.

As much as I like what he brings, no team is going to win multiple playoff series with Carl Gunnarsson playing 1st line minutes.

I really think they need to pair Phaneuf with a puck-mover to help with getting the puck out of the d-zone quicker. Gunnarsson has easily been the worst first-pass defenceman on the Leafs this season.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Agreed.

As much as I like what he brings, no team is going to win multiple playoff series with Carl Gunnarsson playing 1st line minutes.

I really think they need to pair Phaneuf with a puck-mover to help with getting the puck out of the d-zone quicker. Gunnarsson has easily been the worst first-pass defenceman on the Leafs this season.

If Gardiner had've been able to maintain his playoff form I think they were planning on running Gardiner-Phaneuf as they did last year.

We'll see what happens tonight... my guess is that if we drop another game and some players don't have a particularly good showing we'll see movement.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Agreed.

Sad but true ... Not sure what's going on with him

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: The Maple Leafs have had their eye on Panthers Dmitri Kulikov over the years, and he might be available. He wouldn’t come cheap, and he’ll be looking for a big pay increase from his $2.5 million.

Wonder what it would take to get Kulikov? Maybe Gardiner + a little sweetener?

Kyle Doobas*

Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: The Maple Leafs have had their eye on Panthers Dmitri Kulikov over the years, and he might be available. He wouldn’t come cheap, and he’ll be looking for a big pay increase from his $2.5 million.

I don't see how there's a big enough difference between Kulikov/Gardiner to even bother making a trade. People talk like he's some two-way stud or something when, at least from what I've seen, he's more or less just an offensive defenseman who's as iffy in his own end as any of the guys we have now.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Kulikov is currently playing a 3rd pairing role in Florida. Why is he demanding such a high return? Moreover, if he is looking for a pay increase, he is almost certainly hitting the KHL.

If he comes cheap, it's worth a shot. If he is costing us anything close to Gardiner, no thanks.

RedHead Kingpin

Jan 14, 2012
Runestone
The panthers defender in the system I would prefer would be Petrovic. I think he'd fit like a glove but wouldn't make an impact this season. I don't profess to know what Fla would want.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Liles + for him..

If not, hang up the phone.

Probably just Cox' speculation.. we may have had our eye on him but he doesn't fill a need right now, or in the future.

I don't even know if he's an upgrade over Gunnar TBH.

I'm just waiting for an opportunity for Brennan to get called up. I have a feeling he's a sleeper who will play his way onto the team.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Probably just Cox' speculation.. we may have had our eye on him but he doesn't fill a need right now, or in the future.

I don't even know if he's an upgrade over Gunnar TBH.

I'm just waiting for an opportunity for Brennan to get called up. I have a feeling he's a sleeper who will play his way onto the team.
Is your "feeling" the 8 goals and 4 assists he posted in 5 games for the marlies?

:sarcasm:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Going back to the behind the draft 09, Assuming no body dropped it sounded like Kadri, Kassian, And Kulikov were who they wanted.

mikebel111*

Patrick Kane right?

Evander... Helllllll noooo

exactly. That is serious overpayment for evander assuming it was him.

The excuse people will make is that he is younger. He is a good player, but gardiner and JVR. No way I do that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad