Philadelphia Flyers; Nicklas Grossmann, 3rd

Toronto Maple Leafs; John-Michael Liles, 4th

Thoughts?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Thoughts?

Well the cap hit part would work on our end if we dropped say, Ranger to add Gross but i don't think JML fits phillies cap issues.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Trading Gardiner to Edmonton and watching Gardiner and Shultz tear up the Edmonton PP for years to come would be rough.

I like Jake Gardiner and i think we have room for him on our blueline.

I think Phaneuf is turning more into a SD Dman as his career progresses.

I think

Rielly - Phaneuf.
Franson - Fraser
Gardiner - Insert another random stay at home Dman Macwilliams, Percy, Gunnar.. etc

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Honestly dont think Gardiner is going anywhere. Hasnt played that bad but expectations are very high due to his potential. i would imagine that come trade deadline nonis may look to move kulemin and gunarsson.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Honestly dont think Gardiner is going anywhere. Hasnt played that bad but expectations are very high due to his potential. i would imagine that come trade deadline nonis may look to move kulemin and gunarsson.

If we are even sniffing a PO spot, you can bet they will try to ADD, not subtract from the core.

Tyler Biggs*

Clarkson and McLaren can both return on game 11 and Kulemin can return on game 13 (I think?)! Those 3 forwards will all bring significant impact to this roster! Kulemin is arguably the teams best defensive winger. Clarkson will free up a ton of space for Kadri and Lupul. And McLaren returning will finally give the Leafs 4th line the same intimidation factor they had last season! Sorry Carter Ashton but you're no Frazer McLaren who's one of the leagues premier heavyweights!

Asif16*

Dreger saying Tootoo is available. Lol i know this wont happen, but i would much rather have tootoo on our fourth line than Orr.

As much i LOVE orr....i feel like tooto can bring a lot more to this team. I only say this because we already have a heavyweight MClaren who i also think is a better player than Orr.

I would have much rather have a Heavyweight-Middleweight combo rather than Heavyweight-Heavyweight combo. Tootoo has some nice speed and can ship in here and there.

lol again not gonan happen. But thought id post it anyway

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Thoughts?

Ya. Liles isn't a piece that any team will actually really consider in a trade unless the Leafs plan on retaining salary or taking back an unwanted player from the trading partner back.

These threads with Liles in them are wishful thinking IMHO. There was no interest in Liles before and his 3-year & $3.875 m/a are the reasons why he is not palatable to other GMs.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Dreger saying Tootoo is available. Lol i know this wont happen, but i would much rather have tootoo on our fourth line than Orr.

As much i LOVE orr....i feel like tooto can bring a lot more to this team. I only say this because we already have a heavyweight MClaren who i also think is a better player than Orr.

I would have much rather have a Heavyweight-Middleweight combo rather than Heavyweight-Heavyweight combo. Tootoo has some nice speed and can ship in here and there.

lol again not gonan happen. But thought id post it anyway

I think that he's making $800K more than Orr though. Hardly worth it.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Ya. Liles isn't a piece that any team will actually really consider in a trade unless the Leafs plan on retaining salary or taking back an unwanted player from the trading partner back.

These threads with Liles in them are wishful thinking IMHO. There was no interest in Liles before and his 3-year & $3.875 m/a are the reasons why he is not palatable to other GMs.

Dregger's rumour was that the Leafs would retain significant cap. Thanks for that Dregger, now we get it.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

Wouldn't be too sure on that my friend, Rielly plays the same type of game Gardiner plays (albeit a lot less risky) and not to mention at 19 he's already usurped Gardiner's spot into the top 4D pairings. I'd say Gardiner IS expendable, not just that but he'd probably net the most return value out of the rest of our blueliners.

That being said unless were packaging him up with other assests to get a legit 1C then its best (for now) we hang onto the guy.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I'd love to have Tootoo on this team, guy is fast, he hits anything on the other team with legs and he's an ok fighter not to mention he can chip in with some offence too. I'd love to have a guy on this team as opposed to a one dimensional plug like Orr or Mclaren.

Tyler Biggs*

NY Islanders; defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky on IR as of 10/19/13 with a concussion.

To Leafs: Andrey Pedan

To Isles: John-Michael Liles

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Wouldn't be too sure on that my friend, Rielly plays the same type of game Gardiner plays (albeit a lot less risky) and not to mention at 19 he's already usurped Gardiner's spot into the top 4D pairings. I'd say Gardiner IS expendable, not just that but he'd probably net the most return value out of the rest of our blueliners.

That being said unless were packaging him up with other assests to get a legit 1C then its best (for now) we hang onto the guy.

I have to beg the question,

Where are we to find the cap space needed to carry a legit #1C?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd love to have Tootoo on this team, guy is fast, he hits anything on the other team with legs and he's an ok fighter not to mention he can chip in with some offence too. I'd love to have a guy on this team as opposed to a one dimensional plug like Orr or Mclaren.

Detroit apparently wants to move him so they can bring up some skill from the minors.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

A partner for Phaneuf is a far greater need than replacing Bozak.

Mapleleafs Fan*

Well, you won't get a legit #1 for Gardiner and scraps. Someone else has to go along with Gardiner. Maybe you're send van Riemsdyk and Gardiner? That should give cap space and should be close to cost.

I wowuld rather trade them for Evander Kane. Which is available right now and that means no serious overpayment.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Cox mentioned in his latest article that the Leafs have been interested in Dimitry Kulikov for years, and he may become available if there is a blow up in Florida. I wonder what it would take to get him? Maybe something around Gunnarsson and Leivo?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well, you won't get a legit #1 for Gardiner and scraps. Someone else has to go along with Gardiner. Maybe you're send van Riemsdyk and Gardiner? That should give cap space and should be close to cost.

That would only clear you 5.1m cap, minus the cap hit for the 2nd roster spot that would have to be filled.

So a top notch #1C with a capper of say, 4.5m ? Hard to fathom that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad