Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Adding an upgrade at centre would also likely have the effect of subtracting 10 GA (or more) per season.

Our top 6 is very thin on two-way players, and the ones we do have are only decent, theyre not elite two-way guys.

Our GAA and shots against isnt just the fault of the blueline. And considering Rielly has the highest potential of any piece in the organization, and Percy/Finn/Granberg are knocking at the door, trading for a dman IMO is worse asset management than upgrading at C, at least if youre looking beyond this season (which is what asset management is all about).

The point still is that it doesn't really make much sense to spend the assets on upgrading the center position.

We don't really need to trade for a dman given the system, and we can't really afford to upgrade at center. There's really no point in spending assets on an upgrade that may not even be one.

The only real upgrade that this team might look to is Stastny. He's pretty much the only likely player to come to this team in the top 6. The top 6 is pretty much set right now. Nonis wouldn't have locked up Bozak and Clarkson if it wasn't his plan to make them a part of it, and he clearly isn't looking to give up on Kadri.

What you see is pretty much what you get in the top 6. The next moves this team needs to make is about depth. We'll see changes in the third line, bottom pairing, etc. Not in the top 6 or top 4 really.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
Three Trades

Trade 1

To Winnipeg:
Franson
Raymond
Reimer

To Toronto
A. Ladd
Montoya
2nd round pick

Trade 2

To New Jersey:
Lupul
Montoya

To Toronto:
Larsson
Brodeur

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Ladd - Kadri - Holland
Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson
Ashton - McClement - Bodie

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason
Gardiner - Larsson

Bernier
Brodeur

Edit: I would do this third trade at the draft. We need Gunnarsson for the playoffs this year.

Trade 3

To Edmonton
Gunnarsson
Carter Ashton
Winnipeg 2nd round pick

To Toronto
Yakupov

Then sign M. Greene or M. Niskanen as a UFA and run with:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Ladd - Kadri - Yakupov
Holland - McClement - Bodie

Phaneuf - Greene/Niskanen
Rielly - Larsson
Gardiner - Gleason

Bernier
Brodeur

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Three Trades

Trade 1

To Winnipeg:
Franson
Raymond
Reimer

To Toronto
A. Ladd
Montoya
2nd round pick

Trade 2

To New Jersey:
Lupul
Montoya

To Toronto:
Larsson
Brodeur

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Ladd - Kadri - Holland

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason
Gardiner - Larsson

Bernier
Brodeur

Edit: I would do this third trade at the draft. We need Gunnarsson for the playoffs this year.

Trade 3

To Edmonton
Gunnarsson
Carter Ashton
Winnipeg 2nd round pick

To Toronto
Yakupov

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Ladd - Kadri - Yakupov

Rielly - Larsson
Gardiner - Gleason

Bernier
Brodeur

trade #1:

why would winnipeg move ladd for that? 2 rfa and a ufa. irrespective of the contract status montoya has played well for the jets so i cant see them wanting to move him. reimer would only be attractive as an upgrade over pavalec meaning they would want to rid themselves of his contract which not including this season would be 3 more years at $3.9 million. obviously we are not in a position to take on that kind of salary. im also not sure if reimer is actually seen to have any sort of tangible value around the league extending beyond possibly a 2nd round pick.

there was a thread in the trade section that was basically winnipeg looking to move rhd for more lefties. franson = righty, not only that, the leafs only righty.

ladd on the leafs would be great, but it would cost a 1st + something pretty good and by that i mean more then ashton/holland/damigo/random marlie.

trade #2:

in what world would brodeur waive his nmc to go to toronto. what value would he have to toronto for ~20 games + a playoff run possibly in which we would want bernier to get experience. despite me personally not being high on larsson jersey fans think of him as their rielly. between brodeur the living legend and their equivalent of rielly, i dont see them being interested in a ufa journeyman goalie and a dented underachieving lupul.

trade #3:
:help:

4th line winger + #4 defenseman on decent team +2nd round pick for a former 1st overall pick? i get that yakupov is struggling a bit but common. surely if edmonton was going to move him they could get better then this?

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Three Trades

Trade 1

To Winnipeg:
Franson
Raymond
Reimer

To Toronto
A. Ladd
Montoya
2nd round pick

Trade 2

To New Jersey:
Lupul
Montoya

To Toronto:
Larsson
Brodeur

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Ladd - Kadri - Holland

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason
Gardiner - Larsson

Bernier
Brodeur

Trade 3

To Edmonton
Gunnarsson
Carter Ashton
Winnipeg 2nd round pick

To Toronto
Yakupov

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Ladd - Kadri - Yakupov

Rielly - Larsson
Gardiner - Gleason

Bernier
Brodeur

Trade 1 : WPJ has a surplus of D who play RH side. Franson is useless to them. Raymond would not interest them as he would classify as a rental. Reimer while is a good piece is no where near enough to get what you are asking for.

Trade 2: Nothing I can say about it. NJD prob would be concerned about Lupul's injury history.

Trade 3: EDM could do better.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
people really think teams are looking to try to help the Leafs get better.

Some people, not mentioning any names specifically of course, should be banned from posting trade ideas.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
I've been saying we should go for Ladd for a while. People don't see it right now, but this team needs consistent secondary scoring/toughness.

Lupul has been everything but consistent and is not a good defensive player.

mikebel111*

I've been saying we should go for Ladd for a while. People don't see it right now, but this team needs consistent secondary scoring/toughness.

I am perfectly happy with getting ladd, nice replacement for lupul.

not sure how a trade would look though.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
In less minutes I'm more impressed. With stastny than pav

Considering he's a ufa. Too price should be less

Lupul for stastny
Add around that

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
In less minutes I'm more impressed. With stastny than pav

Considering he's a ufa. Too price should be less

Lupul for stastny
Add around that
Absolutely not.

Why waste assets that are under contract when we could take a chance at signing him for free in July.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Absolutely not.

Why waste assets that are under contract when we could take a chance at signing him for free in July.

Add around that...

If they add a #1c that's at least around 6mil
+ resign bollaand, gardiner, kulemin? Then Kadri, bernier

And still need to add a top 4 ifnot top pairr dman

Lupul is great but with his history I think Hes becoming the odd man out...especially if nonisi isnt trading youth

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
people really think teams are looking to try to help the Leafs get better.

Some people, not mentioning any names specifically of course, should be banned from posting trade ideas.

What a ****** passive aggressive comment. If you want to personally attack someone, grow a pair and just do it. Don't hide behind comments like this. This should be an infraction. Just because you don't mention any names (even though this was obviously about me) doesn't mean this isn't a personal attack.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
The point still is that it doesn't really make much sense to spend the assets on upgrading the center position.

We don't really need to trade for a dman given the system, and we can't really afford to upgrade at center. There's really no point in spending assets on an upgrade that may not even be one.

The only real upgrade that this team might look to is Stastny. He's pretty much the only likely player to come to this team in the top 6. The top 6 is pretty much set right now. Nonis wouldn't have locked up Bozak and Clarkson if it wasn't his plan to make them a part of it, and he clearly isn't looking to give up on Kadri.

What you see is pretty much what you get in the top 6. The next moves this team needs to make is about depth. We'll see changes in the third line, bottom pairing, etc. Not in the top 6 or top 4 really.

What in the world does that mean?? The Leafs need to improve the d, and I hope they do so. Are you suggesting that Percy/Mac/Finn/Granburg have all shown that they are capable NHLers?

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
What in the world does that mean?? The Leafs need to improve the d, and I hope they do so. Are you suggesting that Percy/Mac/Finn/Granburg have all shown that they are capable NHLers?

Yea those players are 2-3 years away at best from being able to fill the role we need filled right now

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

This is very much overlooked with our top 6.

Our top 6 is TERRIBLE defensively. Lupul/Raymond/Kadri/Kessel as the primary culprits (particularly Lupul/Raymond I would say). Bozak/JVR are ok defensively, but they're nothing close to resembling elite two-way players.

To improve that group defensively, I'd want to see of those weak defensive links gone (Lupul/Raymond would be my choices). When people say we need an upgrade at Centre, it's not because we need help scoring, it's because we need to do a better job of holding onto the puck.

I'd like to see Lupul moved at some point to bring in a better two-way winger, which could for example be Bolland resigned but moved to the wing, Bozak slid down to the 3rd line, and then just as examples, target somebody like Kesler/Stastny to fill top 6 duties along with Kadri.

JVR-Kesler/Stastny-Kessel
Bolland-Kadri-Clarkson
Leivo/Ashton-Bozak-Kulemin

looks like a much better balanced top 9 that would be a lot stronger defensively than what we currently have IMO, just as an example. Both Kesler/Stastny are better than Bozak defensively (and offensively), and Bolland is better defensively than Lupul.

Our blueline is a problem too, but they get exposed a lot BECAUSE of how weak our forwards are as a group defensively.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That lineup looks worse then what we have currently.

Also, Bozak is better then Stastny defensively, and Bozak is also scoring at a higher pace then Stastny as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad