Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Willing to give up for Pavelski?

What would the Toronto Maple Leafs be willing to give up for Pavelski???

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel

:)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel

Pavelski would not do any better than Bozak IMHO. He is also 30 years old and could very well be on the decline by the time we're ready to really compete for a Stanley Cup.

Now, if he were 25-26 years old, then sure, see what it would take to acquire him. At 30, I think he'd be a risky investment. JMHO.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel

No young players or significant draft picks. I know he's having a ridiculous year but he's not enough of an upgrade and Bozak is putting up similar numbers playing between JVR and Kessel.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel

Nothing that SJS would accept in return. The more I think about it the more logical it seems to be to just keep Bozie and try and upgrade our D.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Nothing that SJS would accept in return. The more I think about it the more logical it seems to be to just keep Bozie and try and upgrade our D.

YES! YES! Getting a better center is going to get us what? MAYBE 10 more goals from that line over a season? And in that process we would likely lose Kadri + others, just isn't worth it for a line that MAY get better. Upgrading on Bozak just isn't good asset management.

mikebel111*

The only guy that i seriously would want from sharks is couture
But that isnt happening

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
YES! YES! Getting a better center is going to get us what? MAYBE 10 more goals from that line over a season? And in that process we would likely lose Kadri + others, just isn't worth it for a line that MAY get better. Upgrading on Bozak just isn't good asset management.

Adding an upgrade at centre would also likely have the effect of subtracting 10 GA (or more) per season.

Our top 6 is very thin on two-way players, and the ones we do have are only decent, theyre not elite two-way guys.

Our GAA and shots against isnt just the fault of the blueline. And considering Rielly has the highest potential of any piece in the organization, and Percy/Finn/Granberg are knocking at the door, trading for a dman IMO is worse asset management than upgrading at C, at least if youre looking beyond this season (which is what asset management is all about).

Bluejaysfan*

Adding an upgrade at centre would also likely have the effect of subtracting 10 GA (or more) per season.

Our top 6 is very thin on two-way players, and the ones we do have are only decent, theyre not elite two-way guys.

Our GAA and shots against isnt just the fault of the blueline. And considering Rielly has the highest potential of any piece in the organization, and Percy/Finn/Granberg are knocking at the door, trading for a dman IMO is worse asset management than upgrading at C, at least if youre looking beyond this season (which is what asset management is all about).

Exactly. I mean, as much as our defense is poor now, it is in very good shape for the future. Looking forward, you have Phaneuf who is a #1 Dman, Rielly who has the potential to be a #1 D man as well. Add on Gardiner who at the very least should be what he is now...a top 4 defensemen. Then you have guys like Finn and Percy who both project to be top 4 defensemen, Percy albeit in a shutdown role ala Marc Edouard Vlasic and Finn more as a all situation type defensemen. That gives you 5 legitimate defensemen to work with in the future along with Gleason and Gunnerson who could be used as veteran experience on the backend, not to mention you still have guys like Granberg that can be solid bottom pairing defensemen in their own right.

Now shift over to centers. All the Leafs have in their prospect pool is Gauthier, and what is the potential for him? Is he going to be a Paul Gaustad type center, bottom out as a David Steckel type center or put it together and become a Martin Hanzal or Jordan Staal type center? The Leafs need to prioritize adding more skilled forwards and in more particular, centers. Ivan Barbashev is a guy who I like in this years draft but you cannot put all your eggs in 1 basket. Going forward into the future with Kadri, Gauthier and an over thirty Bozak is not the best the Leafs could do, especially when you do not know what you have in Kadri.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think Girardi or Bieksa would be my top targets at the deadline.

Depending on Robidas health, I would take a stab at him depending on the price.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Defense is much more important than a #1C for the Leafs.

We score enough goals and Bozak comes close to fulfilling the defensive requirements of a true #1C and puts up top six points.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
he went to school in Minnesota, his wife is from minnesota, and he's really, really good friends with Parise (or is it Suter) because they were in the same program or something like that. That's why the trade never made sense to begin with - because almost everyone and their grandma knew that's where he was going to be ending up - if Minnesota had the money.

Minnesota has the money. Heatley's contract is coming off the books.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
San Jose trading Pavelski is like us trading JVR. Not happening.

i agree that it is highly unlikely but there is a difference in the sense that we dont have thornton, marleau, couture, and burns. after kessel its basically just jvr up front and possibly kadri one day. pavelski is turning 30 this year and probably san joses 3rd/4th best forward.

obviously he is a beast and there is no reason to move him but i think jvr's age + contract + lack of other high end talent in toronto make it a little different situation.

toronto doesnt have the chips to be able to and a player like pavelski right now. we dont have quality tradable roster players and we dont have much in the way of prospects with upside with the exception of rielly which is obviously a non starter.

id almost rather nonis just offer sheet ror. with the amount of money the leafs throw around id love it for nonis to just say **** it and through him a 7 year $7.5 million contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad