Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals (including Leafs Props)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Why would you put 5.25 million on the third line. You want to have almost 20 million dollars tied up in our three top RW's?

Not going to happen

Why let someone's salary dictate where they best fit on the roster? How much a player makes does not finalize his place in the lineup. Both Kessel and Eberle can likely play LW. It's probably unlikely, but if we swap Gardiner, Liles, and Kulemin, for Eberle, Marincin and picks, we're probably top-3 in the league in offensive talent.

But yes, we would be hard-pressed against the cap when it came to re-signing Franson and the like. Lot of money tied into our forward group in that scenario.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
To Edmonton:
Gardiner
Kulemin
Holzer
1st 2014

To Toronto:
Yakupov
Musil

Kulemin replaces Yakupov on the third line as a player more suited for the role, Gardiner gets to play with his buddy Schultz.

We slot in Yakupov next to Kadri and the sky's the limit. Moves Clarkson down with Bolland and Raymond where he belongs. Musil is a promising shut-down defender that is NHL ready, something that we badly need. That 1st won't be that high, and Holzer is to replace the big body in Edmonton's prospect pool.

Prediction: Leafs fans say overpayment. Oilers fans say nooooo way.:help:

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
To Edmonton:
Gardiner
Kulemin
Holzer
1st 2014

To Toronto:
Yakupov
Musil

Kulemin replaces Yakupov on the third line as a player more suited for the role, Gardiner gets to play with his buddy Schultz.

We slot in Yakupov next to Kadri and the sky's the limit. Moves Clarkson down with Bolland and Raymond where he belongs. Musil is a promising shut-down defender that is NHL ready, something that we badly need. That 1st won't be that high, and Holzer is to replace the big body in Edmonton's prospect pool.

I would actually do this as a Leafs fan. I LOVE Yakupov. JVR-Kessel, Lupul-Yakupov becomes the best top 6 winger combo in the NHL. I drool at the thought of this lineup...

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Yakupov
Raymond - Bolland - Clarkson
Orr - McClement - Ashton/McLaren/Bodie

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Rielly
Liles/Ranger-Fraser
(coming up... Percy, Musil, Finn, Macwiliam, Granberg, Blacker)

Bernier
Reimer

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
To Edmonton:
Gardiner
Kulemin
Holzer
1st 2014

To Toronto:
Yakupov
Musil

Doesn't make sense.

We don't need another winger, And if were going trade an asset like Gardiner, A center would be ideal.

As for Edmonton - Gardiner isn't the type of defenseman they need; His buddy Schultz is even worse in his own end. They're in need a shutdown type of defenseman badly.

An unless you've got the second coming of Bob Gainey playing LW with Kadri and Yakupov, That line will be complete mess south of our redline.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Doesn't make sense.

We don't need another winger, And if were going trade an asset like Gardiner, A center would be ideal.

As for Edmonton - Gardiner isn't the type of defenseman they need; His buddy Schultz is even worse in his own end. They're in need a shutdown type of defenseman badly.

An unless you've got the second coming of Bob Gainey playing LW with Kadri and Yakupov, That line will be complete mess south of our redline.

Ironically Kulemin would be a great fit with that pair.

Unless we're getting back a top notch centre prospect, or established top line or very good 2, C, Gardiner stays.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Dallas was mentioned. Id love to get Oleksiak. Think hed be a strong fit

Likewise - I'd take a change on a swap. I doubt Dallas does though.

Minnesota has an abundance of good forward prospects though... Nino Niederreiter, Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, to name a few. That said, I can't see them moving Granlund with Coyle going down for 3-4 weeks yesterday. Niederreiter perhaps but apparently he's looked good so far and being a LW unless I'm missing something there isn't much room with Lupul, JVR and Raymond occupying the top-9 on the left side. I think if we trade Gardiner we do it for a similarly talented and aged big bodied stay at home D, Gudbrandson's elk.

Or, we trade him for a top prospect that's not NHL ready yet.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Isn't it funny...

We need a rushing dman,so we trade Gardiner for something we don't need. Unless it is a young star C,ignore these rumours just like the Luongo all last year.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
It might make sense to trade Gardiner for an equivalent package of more generic assets; picks, junior prospects etc. That way we can wait for a situation where a young center becomes available unexpectedly (think Seguin) and be ready to capitalize on it without having to worry if the other team needs a PMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad