2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
This Ryan to Philly thing has been going on for a while. With Anaheim claiming that they are going to make some major changes, how do you feel about Ryan and Sbisa to Philly for Hartnell and Coburn?

I would be very close to pulling this one off.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I would be very close to pulling this one off.

I second this, honestly.

Thinking realistically, Ryan would take Hartnell's spot on the top line with Giroux and Voracek.

We have McGinn, who is a lesser version of Hartnell, who we can slowly develop on the bottom end of the top 9 to fill Hartnell's spot.

Noebels is looking solid as well.

I think Hartnell is a guy we can afford to get rid of.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Laviolette's inability to enforce discipline on this team has been a huge problem.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think Laviolette's inability to enforce discipline on this team has been a huge problem.

From now on whenever says the word "team" or "defense" in relation to the Flyers' struggles this year, just insert the word "Bryzgalov" and you realize how foolish all of this Lavi, Holmgren, defense hate is.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

He seemed to keep Rinaldo from going over that line for the most part. most of the crap he has gotten is more from reputation then being deserved.
As far as some of the other players guys like Hartnell and Briere for instance were taking dumb penalties under Stevens as well.
the roster has other guys like Simmonds and Mcginn who are willing to go to that line as well. you really cant fault Lavy for that. that is how the roster is constructed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Under Lavi you've got players taking penalties while playing too aggressively. Under Stevens you had players taking penalties for no damned reason at all.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
My Flyers Overhaul would consist of upgrading the goalie situation,
and rebuilding the defense.

First, Bryz will be amnestied. Unfortunately, not worth the contract.
Will trade for decent veteran (Emery, Theodore, Thomas) or rookie (Khodobin, Bernier) to compete with Mason.

Second, our Defense consists of Defensive minded Defensemen that must change.
Try to trade Coburn and a pick for a young PMD.
If they want offense offer them one of our extra centers (Laughton first, then Couturier) and a pick.
If they want Couts they need to give us #1 Defenseman in return.
Try to trade Mezzaros since he cannot stay healthy.

Third, even if we must overpay we need to get a PMD, we have nothing ready and need one badly for next year.

Fourth, Draft a highly rated defenseman with our #1 round pick. Maybe we can develop our own #1.
Or at the very least trade him for an established defenseman later.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Some of those goals are a bit lofty.

Trading Coburn for a young PMD (who I assume is good)-- not sure Coburn gets it done.
Offering Laughton and Couts to assist another team with "offense" is uh, strange. Counterintuitive at least (they have upside, but they are far away from offering a team offensive relief)
Not sure if this would be the total package-- but I doubt Couts alone gets you a #1 defenseman (so this idea is incomplete in your post)

Everything else, no problemo.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
I did think that it would take Coburn +, to get a good PMD.
I do not think Coburn is of equal value to Shattenkirk by any means.

As far as Laughton or Couts for a PMD, I just meant a swap of a good centerman, for a a young PMD with #1 or #2 potential.
I was not assuming that we could get a #1 defenseman for either Couts or Laughton without sweetening the deal.
I would be willing to trade one of our centers and some other assets for a young PMD.

I would not trade Giroux or Vorachek for a #1 Defenseman but, everyone else would be fair game.
That is how desperate I see our Defensive shortcomings to be.

Last edited:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
What about acquiring Ryan Ellis from Nashville? Young guy, only 22, who has struggled so far in the NHL. He was a great offensive d-man in juniors. I'm not sure how much it would take to get him from the Preds though.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
What about acquiring Ryan Ellis from Nashville? Young guy, only 22, who has struggled so far in the NHL. He was a great offensive d-man in juniors. I'm not sure how much it would take to get him from the Preds though.

I think he'd be harder to get than Blum. What would it take to get Ekholm?

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

In my opinion, and it's just that, trying to get a defense man who struggled in Nashville is a bad idea. If Nashville can't make an NHL'r out of him, than I sincerely doubt that the Flyers can.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
In my opinion, and it's just that, trying to get a defense man who struggled in Nashville is a bad idea. If Nashville can't make an NHL'r out of him, than I sincerely doubt that the Flyers can.

If he's struggling offensively, then he shouldn't have problems here. The highest scoring player for the Preds this year was Weber. We have a lot of scoring forwards that could definitely put up his numbers.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
From now on whenever says the word "team" or "defense" in relation to the Flyers' struggles this year, just insert the word "Bryzgalov" and you realize how foolish all of this Lavi, Holmgren, defense hate is.

This is interesting to read coming from you Chris. There was a long time there where you and I bumped heads on the importance of good goal tending. You often swore the team made the goalie, and that the difference between a great and mediocre NHL goalie was the team in front of him. Now that our team is struggling you're very willing to blame it all on the goal tending. I am admittedly oversimplifying your arguments, but you get my point: you just look kind of like a goalie hater. Goalies doing great? Must be the team. Teams doing awful? Must be the goalie.

Bryzgalov has been inconsistent and average overall. Average, at his salary, isn't acceptable. But average is...average. The whole team needs to be better.

If he's struggling offensively, then he shouldn't have problems here. The highest scoring player for the Preds this year was Weber. We have a lot of scoring forwards that could definitely put up his numbers.

That's a fair point that I hadn't considered. If his only struggles were producing points then I'd be more interested. Then again if he's playing well defensively and has shown the ability to put up points on higher scoring teams, I don't know that Nashville will let him go that cheap. Isn't Ellis a little dude, like 5'9''?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I did think that it would take Coburn +, to get a good PMD.
I do not think Coburn is of equal value to Shattenkirk by any means.

As far as Laughton or Couts for a PMD, I just meant a swap of a good centerman, for a a young PMD with #1 or #2 potential.
I was not assuming that we could get a #1 defenseman for either Couts or Laughton without sweetening the deal.
I would be willing to trade one of our centers and some other assets for a young PMD.

I would not trade Giroux or Vorachek for a #1 Defenseman but, everyone else would be fair game.
That is how desperate I see our Defensive shortcomings to be.

Yeah, I kind of figured there was more to these offers. Thus, my incomplete comment. What PMDs are you looking at? Not being smart, just curious. The normally looking grounds are Phoenix, Blues, Nashville (edit: a smarter trade with Dallas was brought up a week or so ago).

RJ8812*

I drafted a stud defenseman late in the 2nd round in my NHL EHM 2007 game. Roman Evan....it's too bad it isnt real life because the guy is basically a Czech version of Weber

feedingschennzy

Feb 11, 2012
Winnipeg has yet to begin negotiations with Zach Bogosian. While this pipe dream is only slightly less likely than OEL, Pietrangelo, Hedman in likelihood, Bogosian is the exact defenseman the flyers want. If pronger stays active in the organization and grooms him as his prodigy Bogo could be a terrifying force on our blue line.

Thoughts on Couturier + Read/Laughton for Bogo and draft a replacement center at 11?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Winnipeg has yet to begin negotiations with Zach Bogosian. While this pipe dream is only slightly less likely than OEL, Pietrangelo, Hedman in likelihood, Bogosian is the exact defenseman the flyers want. If pronger stays active in the organization and grooms him as his prodigy Bogo could be a terrifying force on our blue line.

Thoughts on Couturier + Read/Laughton for Bogo and draft a replacement center at 11?

I love Couturier, but if we get Lindholm at #11...

We could keep both Couts and Lindholm then :laugh:.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

These are the type of deals I would only include Cout's in. Young high end players like Bogo, Oel, Piety and so on. He is very young, but he has had some injury problems in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad