2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott*Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude*Giroux ($3.750m) / Corey*Perry ($8.500m)
Jakub*Voracek ($4.250m) / Sean*Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne*Simmonds ($3.975m)
Matt*Read ($0.900m) / Brayden*Schenn ($3.110m) / Nathan*Horton ($4.000m)
Matt*Hendricks ($0.825m) / Maxime*Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac*Rinaldo ($0.578m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo*Timonen ($6.000m) / Nicklas*Grossmann ($3.500m)
Braydon*Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej*Meszaros ($4.000m)
Luke*Schenn ($3.600m) / Mark*Fistric ($1.475m)
Bruno*Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy*Howard ($4.500m)
Jose Theodore (1.500m)

LTIR: Chris*Pronger ($0.000m)
Buyout: Ilya*Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
Buyout: Danny*Briere ($0.000m) or trade for picks
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,962,500; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,137,500

Fire away! Tough market to please but worth a shot at an overhaul. Perry Horton and Howard are the biggest additions. Perry Horton and Hendricks adds to Philly grit motto. Fistric more toughness and young steady d. Theodore can step in if Howard needs a break similar to Vokoun in pitt.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
I wouldn't sign Perry unless he settles for $5M/yr. He is gonna get too much for the Flyers to work it out feasibly. That lineup up there won't work over summer, over the cap since no LTIR.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wouldn't sign Perry unless he settles for $5M/yr. He is gonna get too much for the Flyers to work it out feasibly. That lineup up there won't work over summer, over the cap since no LTIR.

Only two players are going to be on our roster that we will need to use LTIR on next season. MAB and Chris Pronger. They combine for a cap hit around 5.7 million between the both of them. 10% of 64.3 is 6.43 million. We can spend up to 70.73 million but need to get compliant for the official day #1 of the season. His team works if we put Pronger on LTIR since we wouldn't go over the overage we get in the off season. I'm pretty sure it works at least.

Also Perry doesn't sign for 5 million anywhere, and why would he?

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
Horton is unnecessary. Simmonds, Hartnell and Perry are all 'better' (debatable by some, perhaps) than he is in a similar role.

Fistric is slow, and not a puck mover (which is what this team needs) and is really a worse Nick Grossmann. Jimmy Howard would be a nice goalie IMO, and Theodore wouldn't be a bad back-up but I'd prefer this team doesn't go after a goalie through free agency again if indeed Bryzgalov is bought out.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
Horton is unnecessary. Simmonds, Hartnell and Perry are all 'better' (debatable by some, perhaps) than he is in a similar role.

Fistric is slow, and not a puck mover (which is what this team needs) and is really a worse Nick Grossmann. Jimmy Howard would be a nice goalie IMO, and Theodore wouldn't be a bad back-up but I'd prefer this team doesn't go after a goalie through free agency again if indeed Bryzgalov is bought out.

So, you would rather draft a young goalie and throw him into the NHL before he develops?

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

With 3rd line minutes and competition for PP time, I'd rather have McGinn at less than 1.00m than Horton at 4.00m. I'd also like to re-sign Gagne; $1.50-$1.75 doesn't seem too absurd.

I even think Perry at this point is redundant considering the offensive talent we have.

We need defensemen.

I will however state that if you can sign Perry at a reasonable mark (unlikely), that the potential is there to flip Hartnell+ for a top pairing PMD.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Fire away! Tough market to please but worth a shot at an overhaul.

Do you like having Claude Giroux on the team? What about Brayden Schenn? How about Sean Couturier?

If the answer to those three questions is "yes", then you need to leave some room so that those guys can be re-signed as RFAs the following year.

Getting rid of Horton might be enough for that.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
I think you have to get Perry at whatever price it takes, just to make sure he doesn't go to the Rangers

I'm more worried about him going to the Pens.
They'd be pretty much unstoppable with Perry.
I don't think the Rangers can afford him.

Also the proposed roster does not solve the most pressing need for this team, which obviously is on defense. We need some guys with skill back there.
Horton also will make more than $4m per year, not that I particularly want him on this team.

Edit: I just looked at Horton's numbers. Thought he'd be more of an offensive weapon.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
So, you would rather draft a young goalie and throw him into the NHL before he develops?

Hah, did I say that? To rephrase, I don't want the team to go throw another obnoxious contract ($4mil+ or $5mil over more years than they deserve) at a UFA goalie like Howard or Smith. I would rather the team trade for a goalie like Bernier or Bishop in the upcoming offseason, and decide to either keep Bryzgalov and have the young goalie give him the 'Schneider' treatment or amnesty him and instead grab a veteran on a short term deal who can provide support in a 'duo' with our young stud goalie.

Clearly, it could go the way of Anders Lindback and that's why I would prefer to keep Bryz until at least the 2014 offseason while still grabbing a young goalie. Bryzgalov is a goalie who needs a system that limits quality scoring chances, so I'm hoping we have a new coach and new system by next season...

With 3rd line minutes and competition for PP time, I'd rather have McGinn at less than 1.00m than Horton at 4.00m. I'd also like to re-sign Gagne; $1.50-$1.75 doesn't seem too absurd.

I even think Perry at this point is redundant considering the offensive talent we have.

We need defensemen.

I will however state that if you can sign Perry at a reasonable mark (unlikely), that the potential is there to flip Hartnell+ for a top pairing PMD.

Yeah, I mostly meant in this proposed line-up there was no reason to have Horton if he was proposing we sign Perry and keep Hartnell and Simmonds. My ideal line-up is to keep the same forwards unless Briere is moved. I think McGinn should be in the AHL next season along with Laughton and Cousins and maybe try and turn the Phantoms around by gettings some quality players to play down there.

The team definitely needs defensemen. Either a young PMD (not necessarily top-pairing yet) or a player like Brian Campbell or even both. Schenn, Coburn and Grossmann is perfectly capable complimentary pieces but clearly the team needs some 'key' players to build their defense around. A new system couldn't hurt, either. OH! Gervais is also terrible.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott*Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude*Giroux ($3.750m) / Corey*Perry ($8.500m)
Jakub*Voracek ($4.250m) / Sean*Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne*Simmonds ($3.975m)
Matt*Read ($0.900m) / Brayden*Schenn ($3.110m) / Nathan*Horton ($4.000m)
Matt*Hendricks ($0.825m) / Maxime*Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac*Rinaldo ($0.578m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo*Timonen ($6.000m) / Nicklas*Grossmann ($3.500m)
Braydon*Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej*Meszaros ($4.000m)
Luke*Schenn ($3.600m) / Mark*Fistric ($1.475m)
Bruno*Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy*Howard ($4.500m)
Jose Theodore (1.500m)

LTIR: Chris*Pronger ($0.000m)
Buyout: Ilya*Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
Buyout: Danny*Briere ($0.000m) or trade for picks
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,962,500; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,137,500

Fire away! Tough market to please but worth a shot at an overhaul. Perry Horton and Howard are the biggest additions. Perry Horton and Hendricks adds to Philly grit motto. Fistric more toughness and young steady d. Theodore can step in if Howard needs a break similar to Vokoun in pitt.

There is no reason for half these guys to be added. Why would Detroit let Howard go? Why would we pay Horton 4 million to be on the 4th line? Hendricks is useless. Fistric is a worse Nick Grossman, Corey Perry is NOT leaving Anahiem. I guarrantee you he wont. That's about it. We need to focus on the defense.

Schenn Bros Pizza*

I don't want to see any of these unless we have a #1 or #2 dman in them.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
There really are not a lot of UFA options on D. If the Flyers wanted a true fix to the top D pair I think they'll have to trade for it. Then we may have to sign a forward or two to fill the hole created.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm not sold on Jimmy Howard outside the Detroit system, at least not if we had to pay him north of 4M a year. And would he even be available?

Jose Theodore as a backup made sense to me until I realized he turns 37 next year. Probably the right player a couple of years too late - we've witnessed it before.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
There really are not a lot of UFA options on D. If the Flyers wanted a true fix to the top D pair I think they'll have to trade for it. Then we may have to sign a forward or two to fill the hole created.

The cost in a trade is probably too much for management. The best way would be to draft one IMO like Jones, Nurse, etc.

I wouldn't mind Jimmy Howard, just not for more than a 2-3 year contract.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Looking at the RFA crop, there are some studs. I think we need to offer sheet OEL big time. If Holmgren wants to get super aggressive, offer OEL a contract that is max for 1st and 3rd compensation, around 5m AND Rundblad a decent contract without going over the 2nd.

Similarly, we could do the same with Pietroangelo or Shat and the Cole.

Maybe push the tampering rules to the limit by having Holmgren make a generic statement about how he feels the team may have to go for an RFA D again, without naming names. Might make some agents encourage their clients to wait to renew until after open free agency.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I don't see Detroit letting Howard go.

I would like Perry but that contract would be too much, especially with Giroux's contract coming up.

Paying Horton $4mil to play on the 3rd line is isn't really worth it. I'd rather re-sign Gagne if he takes a paycut or just play McGinn there and save the cap space for when we have to re-sign Giroux/Read/Couturier/Schenn or for acquiring a top defenseman.

We have 3 Fistric's already. We're better off playing Gus.

I also notcied you didn't include Laughton in the lines. I'd rather play Laughton at 4th line center and play Talbot on the wing than waste a roster spot on Hendricks.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Looking at the RFA crop, there are some studs. I think we need to offer sheet OEL big time. If Holmgren wants to get super aggressive, offer OEL a contract that is max for 1st and 3rd compensation, around 5m AND Rundblad a decent contract without going over the 2nd.

Similarly, we could do the same with Pietroangelo or Shat and the Cole.

Maybe push the tampering rules to the limit by having Holmgren make a generic statement about how he feels the team may have to go for an RFA D again, without naming names. Might make some agents encourage their clients to wait to renew until after open free agency.

I really don't understand why people think Pheonix would consider letting OEL go. He's by far their best player. I guarantee Pheonix will match any offer that comes their way unless it's mind-boggling ridiculous. Same thing goes for Pietroangelo.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I really don't understand why people think Pheonix would consider letting OEL go. He's by far their best player. I guarantee Pheonix will match any offer that comes their way unless it's mind-boggling ridiculous. Same thing goes for Pietroangelo.

Can Phoenix really afford to pay OEL big money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad