2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
As I recall, the last round of negotiations between Bogo and WPG were less than smooth, so I'm sure there will be no good will upon which to expect these negotiations to go well.

That said, the Jets need Bogo. Yes, he has a bit of an injury bug of late, but he's just not the kind of guy you sell low on. It would be precisely akin to us dealing Couturier for 75 cents on the dollar because he didn't progress offensively this season.

I trade Couturier and Read (or Ghost) all day for Bogosian. Couturier and Laughton would be rougher.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
As I recall, the last round of negotiations between Bogo and WPG were less than smooth, so I'm sure there will be no good will upon which to expect these negotiations to go well.

That said, the Jets need Bogo. Yes, he has a bit of an injury bug of late, but he's just not the kind of guy you sell low on. It would be precisely akin to us dealing Couturier for 75 cents on the dollar because he didn't progress offensively this season.

I trade Couturier and Read (or Ghost) all day for Bogosian. Couturier and Laughton would be rougher.

They need a no. 1 center more. They have Buff and Enstrom so the blow wont even be as bad.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

I'm not sure I understand this. If everything works out for him Laughton figures to end up a Matt Read type of forward, and Read is already there and doing it.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I'm not sure I understand this. If everything works out for him Laughton figures to end up a Matt Read type of forward, and Read is already there and doing it.

Laughton projects to be better than Read IMO. Read is an excellent complimentary top 9 player and a very versatile player too, but Laughton has more upside as a game changer. Contracts are also a HUGE factor.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Laughton projects to be better than Read IMO. Read is an excellent complimentary top 9 player and a very versatile player too, but Laughton has more upside as a game changer. Contracts are also a HUGE factor.

Hmm dont know if Laughton can be a game changer. He is projected as a 3rd line center maybe 2nd line. Don't really consider that kind of player a game changer.

Personally, I see him topping out as a 3rd line center who can win faceoffs and score around 40-50 points a year. Not bad really.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Hmm dont know if Laughton can be a game changer. He is projected as a 3rd line center maybe 2nd line. Don't really consider that kind of player a game changer.

Personally, I see him topping out as a 3rd line center who can win faceoffs and score around 40-50 points a year. Not bad really.

Maybe not in the traditional sense (high scoring), but I see the ability to make things happen. The kind of player you truly win with, Ryan Callahan type.

I don't quite see that in Read

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

They do have Jacob Trouba signed for next year. He's an absolute stud of a defensemen. I think there's a good chance he might make the roster next year. If he does, that could make a defensemen available. Bogo and Big Buf would probably be the likely candidates to get shipped out for some help upfront.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

In fairness, people also said the same thing about Richards. Maybe it's just me, but I think Laughton projects to be a better pro player than a junior player. I really think he's got the ability to be something special. I know some don't hold much merit in it, but when he returned to Oshawa after his five game trial, he was a completely different player - he was playing at an elite level.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
In fairness, people also said the same thing about Richards. Maybe it's just me, but I think Laughton projects to be a better pro player than a junior player. I really think he's got the ability to be something special. I know some don't hold much merit in it, but when he returned to Oshawa after his five game trial, he was a completely different player - he was playing at an elite level.

I am sure I haven't seen him as much as you but do you think he will be more then Jarrett Stoll without the booming shot at best? Which isn't a bad thing. Bolland?

Maybe move him to wing like Dubinsky long term?

Laughton - Coots - Noebels

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011

I actually agree. I think Laughton's game with translate to the NHL quite well. Physical, hungry player that can skate. I suspect he scores a fair number of dirty goals to go along with solid playmaking and a definite two-way game.

Read isn't a bad player, but asset control and upside are important in today's NHL. Laughton is absolutely a superior asset in terms of trade value than Read today. If Read somehow signed a sweetheart deal at 2.5M for a few years.... that might change. At 4M+..... you get the idea.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I am sure I haven't seen him as much as you but do you think he will be more then Jarrett Stoll without the booming shot at best? Which isn't a bad thing. Bolland?

Maybe move him to wing like Dubinsky long term?

Laughton - Coots - Noebels

I think a slightly more offensively consistent Michael Peca is what I'll still go with. He made strides in Juniors this season to suggest he could score more than Peca did consistently, but I think Peca is a solid baseline.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Yeah, I kind of figured there was more to these offers. Thus, my incomplete comment. What PMDs are you looking at? Not being smart, just curious. The normally looking grounds are Phoenix, Blues, Nashville (edit: a smarter trade with Dallas was brought up a week or so ago).

I would not mind Goligoski from the Stars, at the right price.

In addition to Coyotes, Blues, Predators, I would look at Oilers, Klefbom or Shultz.
Leafs for Gardiner or Reilly. Or If I really wanted to go all out Boston for Hamilton.

I would be willing to trade a Center for a young offensive defenseman which we desperately need.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think a slightly more offensively consistent Michael Peca is what I'll still go with. He made strides in Juniors this season to suggest he could score more than Peca did consistently, but I think Peca is a solid baseline.

I think Laughton's upside could be that of a Ryan Kesler type. Another comparison that I can also see is that of a more physical Patrice Bergeron. I'd still like to see Laughton spend one more in junior playing 20+ minutes a night and being the top dog in Oshawa, but reality says he's probably going to be on the Flyers club out of training camp.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
I think the time to deal one of our centers is now.
If I can get a good offensive PMD for one of centers, Laughton or Coots,
I do it and stop second guessing my decision.

Our defense is a liabilty to us competing, we must get a PMD.

I have no choice but to sell my centers, since as an organization we do not
draft top end defensemen as #1 picks.

We are not willing invest the picks, blood sweat and tears that it costs to develop a #1 defenseman.

Until we stop picking a center each year we will continue to overpay each year for defensemen,
through weakened NHL depth and traded picks, in addition to the extra cap costs.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
I think Laughton's upside could be that of a Ryan Kesler type. Another comparison that I can also see is that of a more physical Patrice Bergeron. I'd still like to see Laughton spend one more in junior playing 20+ minutes a night and being the top dog in Oshawa, but reality says he's probably going to be on the Flyers club out of training camp.

I don't think he's anything close to Kesler. One thing Kesler has that Laughton doesn't is speed to burn. I think Laughton will be more in the mold of a Michael Peca or Kris Draper which is not bad at all. He's going to be a nightmare to play against each night because even if he's not scoring he's still effective in the circle and off the forecheck. I was pissed when they chose Laugton over Matta but now I get it. You win with guys like Laughton

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

45 points is #2 center type scoring though, particularly if he does it while taking tough minutes and playing D. That's an above average #2 in my book.

I agree he's more likely to be a #3, but my idea of what a #3 is apparently differs some from yours. When it comes to scouting skaters, I don't value my judgment over some others who are posting in here. And they all agree with you, for whatever that's worth.

A player in their mold, sure. But you aren't hoping he'll be a player of their quality are you? That's saying a lot.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't think he's anything close to Kesler. One thing Kesler has that Laughton doesn't is speed to burn. I think Laughton will be more in the mold of a Michael Peca or Kris Draper which is not bad at all. He's going to be a nightmare to play against each night because even if he's not scoring he's still effective in the circle and off the forecheck. I was pissed when they chose Laugton over Matta but now I get it. You win with guys like Laughton

Laughton is a very fast skater with speed to burn. His acceleration is top notch and he's really improved from the start of his draft year to now. I'd say he's right up there with Kesler. In terms of offensive game, I'd say he's right up there with Kesler in terms of offensive game.

Honestly, the sky's the limit with regards to Laughton. As Ian Laperriere said, he was the OHL's best player after being returned from the Flyers. That's the reason why part of me hopes the Flyers will keep him in Oshawa for one more season. I know some think it's best served if he plays 10 to 12 minutes a game in the NHL, but Laughton has never had a chance to be "the man" in Oshawa and with Boone Jenner now gone, the Generals would be Laughton's team and he'd be playing 18 to 20 minutes a night and be the key offensive guy on the team. Developing his offensive game in the OHL would be much more beneficial than giving him scrap minutes at the NHL level while playing in a strict defensive role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad