WJC: 2012 WJC Division I (General Discussion)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Gutted, absolutely gutted. Nothing but a backwards step for us and we really need to be looking at how this group of players performed so badly. We'll get to the top one day but we need some radical changes.

You have too high expactations for your boys then if you consider this "performing so badly". The truth is that GB was playing in a division that is at least a notch above their level. Anything but relegation would be surprise and a huge succes for the British boys. It is only thanks to an exceptional result last year that they foudn themselves here. Just two years ago they were battling Hungary for promotion from Division II (and it was a close fight GB only won in a SO I believe). Next year in Division IB they will find foes that are much closer to their level than here in Division IA.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Germany scored the first two goals in their game against Norway, but Norway has replied by scoring three goals (one in the second period, two goals scored 1:01 apart in the third)...

... and 55 minutes into the game Germany ties it.

Last edited:

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Gutted, absolutely gutted. Nothing but a backwards step for us and we really need to be looking at how this group of players performed so badly. We'll get to the top one day but we need some radical changes.

Understand you are disappointed, but to be fair very few expected anything else than GB to get relegated. True story..

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Wow, what a finish to the game. Norway had that locked up, only to see it slip away. Better luck next year, and welcome Germany to the top level, they should be able to stay up for a while with only one country being relegated per year now.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Well deserved win shots was 42-20.
But our two top prospects saved our ass.
Im sure Konrad Abtelshauser, who is drafted by the Sharks will make the NHL.He plays a great tournament (leads the tournament in +/-),
has a good size and plays a very good OHL season.

The second is Tobias Rieder who is drafted by the Oilers. He is Topscorer of the tournament. He is a very fast skilled guy who has a bit a lack of size.
But i think he will make the NHL too he is skilled enough to be a 2nd Line player one time.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Wow, what a finish to the game. Norway had that locked up, only to see it slip away. Better luck next year, and welcome Germany to the top level, they should be able to stay up for a while with only one country being relegated per year now.
nah, Latvia will send them back next year :D or Denmark, either one of these teams.. But we already have experience in sending Germany back to DivI so I hope we (Latvia) stay up :D

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Just look at the kids stats, 192pts in 29 matches, 31pts in 5 play-off matches....the kid is going to destroy every WJC record, we, and every other country stands no chance the next few years. :help:
Locāns is doing Latvian U16 league, 10 games 51 pts... still I don't think, come 2014 draft, he's 1st round prospect :D And German junior leagues are weak if compared to top countries like USA, Canada, Sweden, Russia (where Bukarts is playing).

As we see, come DNL level his stats aren't that crazy anymore... A very good propect, nonetheless

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
sad for Norway

It was.

Each of Germany's first 3 goals came directly as the result of big Norwegian errors. The first happened while Norway was on the PP and the defenseman blew a tire on the blueline. The ensuing goal was still stoppable.

A bad bounce on an unnecessary pass led to the second goal against, but the Dman played the attacker aggressively on Germany's 2-against-1 and ended up leading to a breakaway.

The third German goal came on another bad Dman pass when the defenseman tried to send the puck through the air in his own zone and instead sent it right to the opponents' Dman. One shot and a rebound later saw the game get tied up.

The 5-on-3 at the end was REALLY unfortunate, but it just felt like fate was taking control.

All this said, Germany looks too good for the DIV I group. What I saw at this tourney tells me they are not gonna be relegated any time soon. Big, strong, hard-driving team. Not easy to play against.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
It was.

Each of Germany's first 3 goals came directly as the result of big Norwegian errors. The first happened while Norway was on the PP and the defenseman blew a tire on the blueline. The ensuing goal was still stoppable.

A bad bounce on an unnecessary pass led to the second goal against, but the Dman played the attacker aggressively on Germany's 2-against-1 and ended up leading to a breakaway.

The third German goal came on another bad Dman pass when the defenseman tried to send the puck through the air in his own zone and instead sent it right to the opponents' Dman. One shot and a rebound later saw the game get tied up.

The 5-on-3 at the end was REALLY unfortunate, but it just felt like fate was taking control.

All this said, Germany looks too good for the DIV I group. What I saw at this tourney tells me they are not gonna be relegated any time soon. Big, strong, hard-driving team. Not easy to play against.

While i agree that the format helps Germany alot, what you saw at this tourney has little impact on what might happen in 2-3 years time, since it's very cyclical.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Locāns is doing Latvian U16 league, 10 games 51 pts... still I don't think, come 2014 draft, he's 1st round prospect :D And German junior leagues are weak if compared to top countries like USA, Canada, Sweden, Russia (where Bukarts is playing).

As we see, come DNL level his stats aren't that crazy anymore... A very good propect, nonetheless

Hi,

i have to agree, the DNL has not the same level than the best youth leagues in the mentioned countries, but neverless the DNL has a very high level.

And if you compare the stats of Marcel Noebels, Tobias Rieder oder Tom Künhackl, Leon Draisatl seem to be a promising prospect with a high potential:

Tobias Rieder: Max. of 177 pts. in the Schüler-Bundesliga
Tom Kühnhackl: Max. of 79 pts. ....
Marcel Noebels: Max. of 94 pts. ....

Another amazong prospect could be Dominik Kahun, he scored a max. of 206 pts. in his best season and has similar stats this season in the DNL:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71940

I think the main problem are missing prospects born in 1994. May be in the 2012 draft, no German player will be drafted. (May be Niederberger, the stats of Uvira and Latta are not really impressive.)

More young German prospects should choose to play in Sweden, Finland and Switzerland.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Unfortunately for, you guys, Belarus won't be in Elite division next year. Tough luck, so it's certain relegation again for Germans. :laugh:

We will see...without players like Elsner, Kühnhackl, Niederberger, Höfflin, Noebels it will be difficult. Those born in 1993 (except Rieder) and 1994 are not that impressive!

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Hi,

i have to agree, the DNL has not the same level than the best youth leagues in the mentioned countries, but neverless the DNL has a very high level.

And if you compare the stats of Marcel Noebels, Tobias Rieder oder Tom Künhackl, Leon Draisatl seem to be a promising prospect with a high potential:

Tobias Rieder: Max. of 177 pts. in the Schüler-Bundesliga
Tom Kühnhackl: Max. of 79 pts. ....
Marcel Noebels: Max. of 94 pts. ....

Another amazong prospect could be Dominik Kahun, he scored a max. of 206 pts. in his best season and has similar stats this season in the DNL:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71940

I think the main problem are missing prospects born in 1994. May be in the 2012 draft, no German player will be drafted. (May be Niederberger, the stats of Uvira and Latta are not really impressive.)

More young German prospects should choose to play in Sweden, Finland and Switzerland.

I agree that it could happen, that no German player will be drafted 2012, but I don't think that '94 is such a bad year. Guys like Dominik Tiffels, Marvin Cüpper, Artem Klein and Marcel Kurth should at least be considered.

Therefore, while I agree that next years WJC-Team will be weaker, I think it is not certain that they will be relegated, and actually I don't think their chances to stay in the top division are too bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad