2012 NHL Entry Draft - Overagers

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I am blown away by the amount of quality overagers the WHL has this year.

A couple already listed above but I will try to add some of my own that I have reported on this year:

Mitch Topping - Tri City - Could be a mid round pick
Josh Winquist - Everett - Could be a late round pick
Chance Lund - Seattle - Could be a mid round pick
Vladimir Dolnyk - Everett - Could be a late round pick
Andrey Makarov - Saskatoon - Could be a late round pick
Patrick Bartosak - Red Deer - Could be a late round pick
Eric Williams - Prince Albert - Could be a late round pick
Corbin Boes - Brandon - Could be a late round pick
Daniel Gibb - Prince George - Could be a late round pick

I could keep going and going and that's only for the teams that I've personally watched this year. As usual, most of them would be guys that you could grab in the late rounds like 6 or 7...but they are all guys that I think have atleast pro futures at some level.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Brandon Underwood, TJ Foster and Brett Lyon are three more I'd throw on the list from the Dub.

Still not sold on Lyon. I watched the guy a ton last year and he never showed me ANYTHING to believe that he can become the type of player he's been early this season.

We'll see if he keeps it up.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Still not sold on Lyon. I watched the guy a ton last year and he never showed me ANYTHING to believe that he can become the type of player he's been early this season.

We'll see if he keeps it up.

At the very least, I think Lyon can make it as a 4th line plug that has a cup of coffee in the bigs. I agree need to see more of the offense, he's come out of nowhere this year.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
From the Q:

Nikita Kolesnikovs, a big two-way d-man. He uses his body very well and he is very smart.
Philippe Maillet, a smalish hard-working speedy two-way foward. Very quick hands and feet. A very solid shot.
Both are 2nd year avalaible.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Tomas Hyka. He was an undersized forward playing in the Czech junior league last season. The Flyers thought he was worth a 3rd or 4th rounder, but let him go due to stupid decision making. He's not playing in the QMJHL and could be a mid round pick this year.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
If he continues his strong play, Steven Janes of the Ottawa 67s has a pretty good shot. I think he would have been drafted last year but he missed most of the year due to injury. Apparently he was unimpressive in Vancouver's camp as an invitee, but still, if he puts up points, at 6'4" he'll get drafted.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Myles Bell
I still can't believe he wasn't drafted. Maybe it was a mutual agreement with all the NHL teams or something, that could explain why no team even "wasted" a 7th round pick on him. Sure the kid made a huge off-the-ice mistake, but still, we have seen freakin' imagination players get picked and guys who kind of could have been eligible because of the leap year etc.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I still can't believe he wasn't drafted. Maybe it was a mutual agreement with all the NHL teams or something, that could explain why no team even "wasted" a 7th round pick on him. Sure the kid made a huge off-the-ice mistake, but still, we have seen freakin' imagination players get picked and guys who kind of could have been eligible because of the leap year etc.

I don't think NHL teams in preparation for the draft have the time or interest in coming up with a mutual agreement on a prospect like Bell. Maybe if this was a potential top 10 pick, but Bell wasn't a good enough prospect to really be worth worrying about. That is precisely why he wasn't picked as well, because for most if not all teams he was probably a pretty easy player to just drop off their list entirely, and teams do indeed omit players entirely even if on consensus they are highly regarded. In a 7-round draft, it's really not surprising.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
London Knights have two guys that were passed up, that should be picked in the 2012 draft

Seth Griffith, the 18 year old is leading the #1 team in scoring.

Unbelievable hands! He is playing in the tougher areas and showing more grit early this season. Great sniper and great playmaker, just an all around offensive threat. Is used in all situations, including 5 on 3 PK's. His skating can still use some work, but if he continues to put up numbers (and I'm sure he will), a lot of teams will be looking to grab him. Went to Tampa Bay camp as an invite this season. He did score 62 points in 68 games last year. (His draft year)

Michael Houser

The 19 year old goaltender has Good size, good athletic ability and keeps getting better every year. Surprised he wasn't picked last season, he held a young underpowered London team in games all last season, getting shelled many nights. This season he has stepped his game up to another level and has been the main reason for London's hot start, London has often been outshot, despite their record. Attended Flyers camp this season.
Currently holdis a 9-2 record, with a .939 SV% and 2.27 GAA.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Overage dates always confuse me for some reason. Curious to know the birth date range that qualifies players as overagers this season? Does their BD need to fall between September 16th, 1992 and September 15th, 1993?

Fill me in gentlemen

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Overage dates always confuse me for some reason. Curious to know the birth date range that qualifies players as overagers this season? Does their BD need to fall between September 16th, 1992 and September 15th, 1993?

Fill me in gentlemen

Don't forget that 19 year olds can still be drafted too...not just 18 year olds.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched Spokane last night and they have 3-4 guys that could have a shot as overagers this year.

The top one in that group is Dominik Uher. Fantastic skater, very gritty, great offensive instincts and positioning. He should get a look by some teams.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Watched Spokane last night and they have 3-4 guys that could have a shot as overagers this year.

The top one in that group is Dominik Uher. Fantastic skater, very gritty, great offensive instincts and positioning. He should get a look by some teams.

Didn't Pittsburgh take him?

Redhead90

Jun 27, 2011
Bell is playing like the potential first rounder he was last year, if he can keep it up, I'll be shocked if he isn't picked up, probably get a couple try-out invites in that case

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad