2012 NHL Draft Location?

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I remember McDonough saying that the Hawks were lobbying for both the draft and the ASG.

It didn't sound like they'd had a lot of luck though.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
NJ was lobbying too. They hosted the ASG way back 28 years ago in 1983 and have that brand new arena....they've never hosted a draft. I just don't think there is any appeal to "Newark." MSG is falling down as is the Collesium so my only hope is The Wells Fargo center, in which case, I'd defeinitely be going!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
LA is a hockey market....with 2 teams and they drew over 11,000 for the draft.
As we all know Phx has trouble giving away tickets for a game never mind a draft and despite what Bettman says it is not a hockey market.
Picture big attendance at a June draft in PHX....hard to imagine.

Giving away tickets for a weeknight game against a random opponent is one thing. The draft is a different type of occasion. I'm not saying Phoenix would be on the top of my list, but I don't think it'd be an empty arena either.

NJ was lobbying too. They hosted the ASG way back 28 years ago in 1983 and have that brand new arena....they've never hosted a draft. I just don't think there is any appeal to "Newark." MSG is falling down as is the Collesium so my only hope is The Wells Fargo center, in which case, I'd defeinitely be going!

New Jersey native Nick Ebert is projected to be one of the top picks in 2012. I think a big reason Luc Robitaille pitched for LA to host in 2010 was Emerson Etem, Beau Bennett, etc representing a wave of Southern Californians ready to become NHLers in the near future.

Fair amount of Duck fans made the trip up for the Staples Center Draft, I'm sure the Rangers/Isles/Flyers would be well represented in a hypothetical Prudential Center hosted Draft.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Well Prudential center has the NBA draft this year it would be cool if they could get the NHL draft next year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Fill me in then.

They do have to cough up a #1 at some point in time correct? They won't do it this year obviously.

The Devils have to forfeit a 1st round pick in one of the next four drafts. They can notify the NHL within (off the top of my head) 24 hours of the Stanley Cup being awarded if they intend to forfeit that year's pick.

As for the location of the 2012 Draft, I imagine there'll be an announcement sometime during the 2011 Draft in Minnesota.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
It's anybody's guess, but I'll guess Chicago. Chicago has never hosted a draft despite being an original 6 team. Bettman met with Chicago media last November and these points were in Jessy Rogers report from an hour talking with him:

* Chicago is more likely to host an upcoming NHL draft than an All-Star Game. 2012 is the earliest for that possibility to occur.

* Bettman said fans “overwhelmingly” still support a shootout to end tie games and the league has no intention of changing that rule.

* Bettman indicated that all bonuses have to count against the cap, including those like the one received by Jonathan Toews for winning last season’s Conn Smythe award, otherwise the door for circumventing the salary cap would open.

* The league is opposed to awarding a winning team three points for a regulation victory for fear teams will really try to sit on a lead which makes for boring third periods. That was a pre-lockout problem.

* Bettman indicated any talk of a new collective bargaining agreement is way premature, noting that the other sports all have deals expiring before the NHL’s will. Their agreement with the players’ union expires at the end of the 2011-2012 season.

* The league isn’t necessarily considering changing the schedule so all teams can play each other at home and on the road each season. Bettman said while many teams want it, many oppose it, especially in the Eastern Conference where rivalries are more pronounced and long-standing than in the West.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4664769/bettman-meets-with-chicago-media

The Norris

Jan 5, 2011
Toronto has indicated that they would like the 2016 Draft and All-Star game to celebrate it's centenary. So I don't think they will be getting it prior to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad