2012 NHL Draft Location?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anaheim or Phoenix. Only teams never to host an ASG or Draft. Anaheim has been in the league for a pretty good amount of time now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers keep telling the league they want to host the draft, but it's hard when you keep trading all your draft picks.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Does anyone know when they announce the location for next years draft? Also how do they determine it?

NHL teams have to apply or bid to host the draft.
The host is usually announced in April or May 1 year prior.

Hopefully it is held somewhere that cares about hockey and attendance is large.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would want Colorado to have it because it has either been forever since we had it or we never had it. But I predict it will be a Southeast or a Pacific team.

Toronto is probably another good bet, considering how good this draft is.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
NHL teams have to apply or bid to host the draft.
The host is usually announced in April or May 1 year prior.

Hopefully it is held somewhere that cares about hockey and attendance is large.

Thanks!

Since year 2000 all Canadian teams except for Edmonton have hosted the draft at least once. I can see Edmonton being an option for the draft in 2012. Especially because we're probably going to have another high draft pick. Colorado or Philly would make good hosts also.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I would want Colorado to have it because it has either been forever since we had it or we never had it. But I predict it will be a Southeast or a Pacific team.

Toronto is probably another good bet, considering how good this draft is.

The Kings just hosted a draft, so I have doubts about Anaheim.

Well they should definitely host the ASG. The ASG is already basically a weekend vacation for the players. SoCal is a perfect vacation spot.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Phoenix? and have 3 people show up?

There were a few posters who thought the same would happen in LA this past year. I thought it was a decent turnout considering the Draft started at 4pm on a Friday afternoon. I wondered if there was any legitimate concern about a prospect being stuck on the freeway while his name was being called.

Although I also wonder how much the attendance could fluctuate based on who's picking where. There were hundreds of Oilers fans in attendance, but I could count on one hand how many Bruins/Panthers/Blue Jackets/Islanders jerseys I spotted.

As long as tickets remain free, folks will show up. There might not be the ticket demand that you'd see in Toronto, but I imagine there are 10,000 hockey fans in any market that would sit through the first round of a draft.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
There were a few posters who thought the same would happen in LA this past year. I thought it was a decent turnout considering the Draft started at 4pm on a Friday afternoon. I wondered if there was any legitimate concern about a prospect being stuck on the freeway while his name was being called.

Although I also wonder how much the attendance could fluctuate based on who's picking where. There were hundreds of Oilers fans in attendance, but I could count on one hand how many Bruins/Panthers/Blue Jackets/Islanders jerseys I spotted.

As long as tickets remain free, folks will show up. There might not be the ticket demand that you'd see in Toronto, but I imagine there are 10,000 hockey fans in any market that would sit through the first round of a draft.

LA is a hockey market....with 2 teams and they drew over 11,000 for the draft.
As we all know Phx has trouble giving away tickets for a game never mind a draft and despite what Bettman says it is not a hockey market.
Picture big attendance at a June draft in PHX....hard to imagine.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
devils got a brand new arena, same with pittsburgh. Both would likely make good bids.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If Vancouver hadnt of just hosted one within the last few years I'd like it... just so i could go experience it.

Also appears like montreal has had more then their fair share lol.

Madic

May 21, 2008
The Flyers keep telling the league they want to host the draft, but it's hard when you keep trading all your draft picks.
Toronto is in the same position. There was some story last summer about Burke lobbying for a ASG/Draft in the near future, and I kept thinking, "Why? We'll either be crap and have no All Stars, or we'll have no 1st."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad