2012 Draft Revisit-passing on Tomas Hertl-2x

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
These are the kind of picks that I never like applying hindsight to. Firstly, we don't really know which of them is going to be the better player yet, though Hertl's shown a lot already. The Sabres grabbed a very highly-rated talent at that spot. You can debate whether you'd rather have Hertl or Teravainen but it always works like that. So long as Grigorenko doesn't bust out or one of those two players doesn't become a truly great player, everyone should be happy enough with things.

And yes, Hertl would have lower numbers with this team (though better than Grigorenko had). Any player would. How can anyone pretend otherwise?

As to Girgensons, I'd rather have him than Hertl, Grigorenko, or Teravainen.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If I like the player and he clearly performed better then both girgs and grigs at the time isn't that self explanatory?

Your comment doesn't strike me as one of friendliness or of one being conducive to a fun/happy/conversational encouraging environment.

Cheers.

Nah I just think reflecting on draft picks and then getting upset over it is kind of silly. Especially when Grigorenko and Girgensons could easily be become better then Hertl.

How about Erat for Forsberg? Now if you are a Washington fan then that is really something to get upset about.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I watch a ton of Sharks games, I REALLY like Hertl a lot, but he was put into a fantastic position to succeed. It's easier to break into the league when you're playing wing with a HOF center and a huge body power forward who plays great defense (Thornton and Burns last year)

That being said, he's mostly a one-note scorer right now and has been struggling a little this year. We definitely could use some wing scoring in the pipeline and like others have noted, he'd probably be struggling here or still in the AHL.

Without knowing for sure how Grigorenko turns out (clearly trending upward now though) and knowing how good Zemgus already is - it's really tough to say passing on him was wrong. He seems to be a complementary player moreso than what Zemgus is (all situations player/leader/etc) and what Grigorenko has the potential to be (1/2C).

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Honestly, the one player selected lower than either of those two that I'd revisit before Hertl is Maatta...kid is a stud and a half.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
How about Erat for Forsberg? Now if you are a Washington fan then that is really something to get upset about.

Our we could be mad that Darcy was so cheap that he was trying to steal Forsberg for cheaper and lost out. (Just guessing here)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Honestly, the one player selected lower than either of those two that I'd revisit before Hertl is Maatta...kid is a stud and a half.

And we could have selected him without trading up.

BringBuffaloStanley

Nov 16, 2014
Why was it tough to accept? I don't get it.

Why do posters reminisce about what picks the sabres could of had? Every team and every fan could play that game.

There is an entire thread full of people who find talking about past draft picks interesting.

Why do you feel it's imperative to criticize how one exercises their First Amendment Constitutional rights, especially when the context of this allegedly pointless thread is non-offensive to you in any way.

I don't really care if what you find pointless, I happen to find interesting and worthy of analytical discourse.

Have a little humility. It won't hurt you.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm with you. I find re-drafts interesting. I think analyzing gives you a different perspective of the dynamics of a draft.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
There is an entire thread full of people who find talking about past draft picks interesting.

Why do you feel it's imperative to criticize how one exercises their First Amendment Constitutional rights, especially when the context of this allegedly pointless thread is non-offensive to you in any way.

I don't really care if what you find pointless, I happen to find interesting and worthy of analytical discourse.

One can say I am voicing my first amendment right too, could they not?
I am not American nor do I live in USA so not sure how all that works.

In all fairness it is very hypocritical of you to criticize me for voicing my opinion and to say I am oppressing another person's opinion in all the while it is what you are doing to me. I actually find it very interesting you feel it is ok for you to criticize my opinion and my right to voice it but it is not ok for me to criticize someone else's opinion because I feel differently about the subject but maybe that is another thread.

We all have a right to voice our opinion. He voiced his I voiced mine and well you voiced yours.

I like looking back at drafts and what could of been. My point was Hertl is 2 years removed along with Girgensons and Grigorenko. Why the OP is upset over the sabres choices when the players most likely have 10-15 years of NHL left in them to see where they go is well odd. I think it is a very good chance Grigs and Girgs turn out better then Hertl.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

This might be the most obnoxious, hypocritically arrogant post I've read all year. And I agree with you.

You'll last :laugh: Nice use of big boy words!

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

What in the world does the 1st amendment have to do with this? Did the Federal Government take over HFBoards whilst I slumbered?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This might be the most obnoxious, hypocritically arrogant post I've read all year. And I agree with you.

I thought the person's post should be on a poster. criticizing someone about freedom of speech and the rights to voice someone's opinion all the while criticizing me about mine....oh the irony.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Honestly, the only guy that was on the board that I was looking at was Teuvo Teravainen. But with how things have gone, Girgensons is playing top notch right now. Grigorenko coming in was a top five pick who fell for the "Russian reasoning".

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Here's another take on this: If we got to go back in time and redo the draft, knowing what we know now, how many of the 2012 draft class would you pick over Girgensons?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Here's another take on this: If we got to go back in time and redo the draft, knowing what we know now, how many of the 2012 draft class would you pick over Girgensons?

Tough to say since I don't really follow the other guys too much.

Seems like Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reinhart, Reilly, and Lindholm were all good picks for their respective teams, same with Trouba and Forsberg. So I would definitely take Girgensons over Dumba, Pouliot, Koekkoek, Grigorenko, and especially Faksa.

Wow Dallas must hate themselves taking Radek Faksa in between our two picks.

BringBuffaloStanley

Nov 16, 2014

Nowhere does my comment state or imply a non recognition of everyone's rights. So there is nothing hypocritical despite your desire to make inferences that aren't there. No reasonable person reads the posters first comment as anything but unnecessary, arrogant , and an unnecessary attempt to criticize Other peoples concept of what is interesting and worthy of conversation. I will last as long as I desire. But no I will not partake in explaining myself to someone who stands on the side of belittling instigation any longer. The point was and is the initial comment was Unnecessary, inflammatory, and a tool move. Since you need every dot connected for you.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I remember being at work and me and some lads were following the draft on our phones, I was stoked when Grigorenko kept falling and we took him. Then I obviously went back to work thinking we didn't pick for another 30 minutes and come back to find out we traded up for some Girgorson fella, had no idea who this kid was, but it's been love at first sight.

Wouldn't trade those picks for any player picked after them and only a handful over Grigs that were picked in top-10, but Girgorsons is a guy who will be crucial to some Cup runs in the future.
Girgorsons :laugh:

Anyways Hertle will be injury prone. I don't second guess anything about the 2012 draft and I agree that Girgensons is captain material and the guy you want in the playoffs as Hertle is not captain material and you probably want to have Hertle in the playoffs too but won't have him in the playoffs due to injuries.

BringBuffaloStanley

Nov 16, 2014
One can say I am voicing my first amendment right too, could they not?
I am not American nor do I live in USA so not sure how all that works.

In all fairness it is very hypocritical of you to criticize me for voicing my opinion and to say I am oppressing another person's opinion in all the while it is what you are doing to me. I actually find it very interesting you feel it is ok for you to criticize my opinion and my right to voice it but it is not ok for me to criticize someone else's opinion because I feel differently about the subject but maybe that is another thread.

We all have a right to voice our opinion. He voiced his I voiced mine and well you voiced yours.

I like looking back at drafts and what could of been. My point was Hertl is 2 years removed along with Girgensons and Grigorenko. Why the OP is upset over the sabres choices when the players most likely have 10-15 years of NHL left in them to see where they go is well odd. I think it is a very good chance Grigs and Girgs turn out better then Hertl.

The last paragraph you wrote detailing your hockey assessment which actually addresses the question posed in This thread could have been offered from the onset. Instead you chose to needlessly, and inflammatorily belittle what I found worthy of discussion. If you didn't find it worthy of discussion, the rationale move was to go on your merry way ,not belittle it. Again , nowhere do I state a non recognition of everyone's rights. That is an inference you are making, which is not there ,because that is what you prefer to see. I'm saying your initial comment was unnecessary, inflammatory , and a tool move. But you don't get that do you. I offer no further. Good day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad