Prospect Info: 2012 Draft | #82 | Ottawa selects LW Jarrod Maidens

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is an interesting pick, I wonder if Jarrod Maidens could be, down the road, Z. Smith's replacement if the rumors are true & if Murray decides to trade him for Hjarmlsson.

I like this pick & I like the fact that Ottawa is picking bigger players. Maidens was great in the OHL playoffs the yr before when he single handlely carried Owne Sound to beat Cameron's Mississauga team. He has good size, has an iron will, can score & if not injured would have been a 2nd rd pick, good pick by Ottawa.

ElginStreetParty07

Feb 18, 2012
South end , Ottawa

TheOriginalSilf*

This is an interesting pick, I wonder if Jarrod Maidens could be, down the road, Z. Smith's replacement if the rumors are true & if Murray decides to trade him for Hjarmlsson.

I like this pick & I like the fact that Ottawa is picking bigger players. Maidens was great in the OHL playoffs the yr before when he single handlely carried Owne Sound to beat Cameron's Mississauga team. He has good size, has an iron will, can score & if not injured would have been a 2nd rd pick, good pick by Ottawa.

Haven't seen the kid play, but from what I keep hearing about him is that he's a lot more offensive than a guy like Zack Smith. Doesn't sound like a bottom 6 forward at all.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Haven't seen the kid play, but from what I keep hearing about him is that he's a lot more offensive than a guy like Zack Smith. Doesn't sound like a bottom 6 forward at all.

Well I doubt he is going to replace Spezza or Turris, he's not that offensive & has a rugged style of play. IMO he is best suited for the 3rd line especially if NHL teams are going towards a more offensive 3rd line. This yr Ottawa could be trying that if Regin ends up on the 3rd line as centre.

TheOriginalSilf*

Well I doubt he is going to replace Spezza or Turris, he's not that offensive & has a rugged style of play. IMO he is best suited for the 3rd line especially if NHL teams are going towards a more offensive 3rd line. This yr Ottawa could be trying that if Regin ends up on the 3rd line as centre.

It's not like we're slotting this kid to play anytime soon. Theoretically, if this kid were to hit the NHL, it'd be years from now. His style doesn't sound like a bottom 6 forward, and with primarily offensive tools, I don't see the comparison to replacing a guy like Zack Smith. He either tops out and plays as a top 6 forward, improves his defensive and physical game to be valued as a bottom 6 forward one day, or he never makes the NHL.

Right now, from what I'm hearing, he's no bottom 6 forward.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Anybody got any sort of scouting report on this kid?

I just read this on thehockeywriters:

"The big centerman plays a strong north-south game leaving his mark around the goal crease with his ability to stickhandle and shoot in traffic. Once considered a first round lock, Maidens is an enticing package of size, grit and skill and his hard-nose approach will attract suitors but his latest injury will raise serious concerns."

I've got my fingers crossed that his undisclosed injury wasn't a concussion but just something embarrassing, like bruised testes or something. Still though, good gamble IMO.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I just read this on thehockeywriters:

"The big centerman plays a strong north-south game leaving his mark around the goal crease with his ability to stickhandle and shoot in traffic. Once considered a first round lock, Maidens is an enticing package of size, grit and skill and his hard-nose approach will attract suitors but his latest injury will raise serious concerns."

I've got my fingers crossed that his undisclosed injury wasn't a concussion but just something embarrassing, like bruised testes or something. Still though, good gamble IMO.

I'm pretty sure the injury has been disclosed as a concussion. That's what everyone has reported.

King City Warrior

Aug 13, 2008
Great choice to go for a player with some injury troubles to get a guy with a high upside. I think this guy has top six potential at the NHL level if he is able to fully recover. High hockey IQ, great shot, high vision, high potential. Similar to Mark Stone that he had been projected to be a 1st round pick before having an injury filled season.

Last edited:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Very interested in following Maidens development over the next few years. Hopefully the injury is something he can overcome.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Very interested in following Maidens development over the next few years. Hopefully the injury is something he can overcome.

It helps that Ottawa has a great medical staff. Can't stress how big of an asset Don Chow is. They severely missed him when he was gone. I have a little bit of inside knowledge there and believe me they were extremely happy when he was able to come back.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
It helps that Ottawa has a great medical staff. Can't stress how big of an asset Don Chow is. They severely missed him when he was gone. I have a little bit of inside knowledge there and believe me they were extremely happy when he was able to come back.

Hear hear. I only know that as a long time Sens fans, but he is an asset indeed. But still, no matter how good your medical staff, concussions are a very scary thing.

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
I've heard some people say there's HOF potential there. Not to get crazy, it's theoretical, but he might just have that kind of upside.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I've heard some people say there's HOF potential there. Not to get crazy, it's theoretical, but he might just have that kind of upside.

I agree. I have never seen him play, but from what i have heard(and that's not much), he definitely has HOF potential. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad