2012 Draft - 6th Pick: Joey LaLeggia (DU eliminated, LaLeggia to Sign?)

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Put up some ridiculous points as a freshman at the U of Denver.

11-27-38 in 43 games.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
dantencer
Oilers just took a great friend of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, defenseman Joey Laleggia out of Denver of the WCHA.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
chrismpeters
The Oilers grabbed Denver's super freshman Joey Laleggia. He had 38 points for the Pios, which is ridiculous for a freshman D #NHLDraft

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'm pretty sure the Oilers have been scarred by Peckham, Teubert and Plante and are realizing that defenders need to have hockey sense and passing ability above all else. To make crisp passes and calm decisions and hit guys skating in transition is something recent defensive prospects have been sorely lacking.

This pick with the Gustafsson pick seems to be an admission of that and signifies an adjustment in scouting philosophy in terms of d-men for the Oilers. It's nice to have tough guys back there sometimes I guess, but players that can move the puck smartly and minimize mistakes will win you games. Not running around looking to take a players head out blindly.

An importance is being placed on hockey sense here, can't say I dislike it.

The points he put up as a freshman are quite eye-popping as are his numbers from the BCHL, had better stats than Justin Schultz at the same age in the BCHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad