2012 CBA/Lockout talk Part VII..Will a deal get done..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Toews wasn't as bad as some of these guys. I think his comments stemmed more from the straight fire and passion he has for the game while others truly believe they are mistreated(lol)

Im still a big Jon Toews fan

Yeah.

I don't know a/b him smoking this kid, though. Personally I think the kid had his head down.

EDIT: At least the kid took it better than Ryan Miller.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Yeah.

I don't know a/b him smoking this kid, though. Personally I think the kid had his head down.

EDIT: At least the kid took it better than Ryan Miller.

Damn. I think maybe he [Toews] forgot to slow things down, he's used to going that fast against NHLers. Thankfully the little guy wasn't badly hurt.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Time Magazine

You may not have noticed that the NHL hasn’t started its season yet, which is arguably Problem #1 for the wannabe major sport league: Ice hockey is fourth in a three-horse race of professional team sports vying for the affection of casual U.S. sports fans. Problem #1A is the lockout of players that’s been in force since Sept. 15, which has resulted in the cancellation of nearly 550 regular-season games to date. And in the event you are following the inaction rinkside, don’t be fooled when league officials or anyone else claims that the main issue is greedy players. The real problem in pro hockey is not in the locker room, but rather in the owners’ suites and commissioner’s office.The NHL would like you to believe that owners give too much money to players. That was the owners’ position almost a decade ago—the last time the league locked out its talent—when players were getting 74% of total revenues. After an entire season was voided, the NHL Players Association caved, agreeing to lower its members’ share of revenue to 57%. Peace and harmony have ensued since, but now the owners want an even bigger piece of the pie, claiming financial hardship.

Don’t believe them, not for a minute. First, as I’ve written about before, sports team accounting is misleading at best, given that owners can claim to be losing money when a) they’re often really not; b) there are tax benefits from those losses that are real; and c) the value of their teams continue to rise.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/12/19...-really-behind-the-nhl-lockout/#ixzz2FWqRLgNw

Smart man.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
18 mins in 6 months. Nice work there world wide leader in sports!

http://deadspin.com/5969805/bristol...o-much-darren-rovell-and-15-seconds-of-hockey
The NHL drought continues: Steve Levy was able to sneak in a 15-second NHL lockout update at the end of Monday's broadcast, good enough to keep the NHL from being shut out in coverage yet again. From June 15 (the week after the Stanley Cup final) through Dec. 13, hockey has received 18 total minutes of coverage on the SportsCenter, which amounts to 0.2 percent.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Hey NHL, Usually I spend probably $500 on Bruins or NHL gear/photos/etc. when Christmas shopping. Well guess what? I didnt spend one dime on NHL stuff. How you like them apples. Get used to it.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Hey NHL, Usually I spend probably $500 on Bruins or NHL gear/photos/etc. when Christmas shopping. Well guess what? I didnt spend one dime on NHL stuff. How you like them apples. Get used to it.

Not one dime from me either.

And I haven't worn a hat or shirt etc. with any type of NHL logo.

Even scraped the Bruins decals off both my car and truck. Now that I think of it, I'll scrape the one off my trailer, too.

I know it doesn't mean much, and I know the NHL doesn't care, but it makes me feel a little better.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
People reading way too much into that "Yes" quote. He's asked to choose between yes and no "Will there be a season" ... what is he supposed to say?

Nothing to see here ... move along ...

"No comment"

"I can't answer that right now"

"I hope so"

Friedman told him "I don't know" was not acceptable. He could have easily avoided the question.

Kaoz*

None of which is meant to say that the NHL doesn’t need tweaking. It does, in two ways. First, there’s a strong argument to be made that there are too many NHL teams, or at least too many in places where ice hockey is not exactly a native sport. i.e., the American South. This is the fault of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, long a champion of NHL expansion. But hockey in the U.S. is not a national sport; it’s a collection of regional enthusiasms, and not enough fans in the American Southwest and Southeast are as enthusiastic about hockey as they are about football, baseball, and basketball. Is it any wonder that the Atlanta Thrashers’ fortunes improved after they relocated to Winnipeg last year (changing their name to the Jets)? With a rabid regional fan base, management could raise ticket prices and secure a more lucrative local TV deal. Forbes has the franchise’s value increasing by a fifth in just a year (to $200 million). Alas, there aren’t that many large markets without an NHL franchise left north of the border, or in the northern U.S. Likewise, contraction isn’t a likely prospect. Major (or even minor major) sports leagues reduce their ranks of teams about as often as owners speak honestly about their finances.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/12/19...-really-behind-the-nhl-lockout/#ixzz2FXQtxvJl

I'd love to see the NHL pull all the southern market teams and move them north of the border simply to watch people who are anti non traditional market cry when NHL revenues plummet due to a lack of US broadcast coverage (NBC could give two sweet poops about the Quebec Nordiques or GTA), or worse, see what happens when the Canadian dollar weakens and this high the NHL is on right now dissipates.

Team values have increased? No doubt, that's usually what happens when a businesses revenue stream increases by more then a billion dollars. I don't see owners trying to hide the fact that revenue has grown in leaps and bounds. The fact that the values increase matters only when the teams are sold, and most owners are in it for the long haul (unlike players). The fact that the Maple Leafs team value has grown exponentially in value is of little import to Rogers/Bell as they've just recently paid top dollar for a majority share. The Boston Bruins being worth more now then they were 5 years ago isn't pertinent in this discussion as Jacobs isn't planning to sell anytime soon.

As for the owners really, secretly bringing in tons of money related to their teams but just being really great at hiding it. I believe the PA and others claimed exactly the same thing last time around and then highly contested the Levitt report which backed that statement up. If owners own the arena's and make money off them the players aren't and shouldn't be entitled to that money any more then players should be entitled to money from the owners other business ventures. This is about HRR and the money each NHL team is able to draw in, not the owners bank balances.

Smart man? No doubt on certain issues but in this case he seems remarkably uninformed.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA

Not one dime from me either.

And I haven't worn a hat or shirt etc. with any type of NHL logo.

Even scraped the Bruins decals off both my car and truck. Now that I think of it, I'll scrape the one off my trailer, too.

I know it doesn't mean much, and I know the NHL doesn't care, but it makes me feel a little better.

Not a Christmas dime spent here either. Gave my hard earned money to a real league, the NFL

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The poor b*****d.

Pathetic loser.

They pretty much all took off for Europe and took other players jobs down there, I honestly don't think it's much better to be honest

Those European guys will just go to other leagues, they're fine. I'd rather see our pro's playing competitive hockey if they are able to. Plus it adds a "wow" factor to those leagues and likely draws more fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad