**2012-2013 Victoria Royals Offseason Thread**

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Out: Jamie Crooks (OA), Tyler Stahl (OA), Alex Gogolev (OA)

- The team has 5 20 year olds next season, B. Walker, Nelson, Fransoo, Deacon and Traber they can only keep three. The obvious choice in my opinion is to keep Walker, Nelly and Fransoo. Traber is heading of to Switzerland to play next season and Deacon i'm not sure of.
- The six 19 year olds, Magee, Hodges, Carroll, Cote, Polivka and Lofthouse are what the Royals are counting on to make a big push and all these guys must have career years. Could also be the last shot for Magee, Cote, Carroll and Polivka to make an impact on scouts eyes.
- Seven 18 year olds are possibly coming back Crunk, Fisher, Harrison, Kanzig, Dixon, Schacher and Vollrath. The majority of these guys are role players but will continue to improve as they enter this season.
- Four 17 year olds come back with Fushimi, Hicketts, Gagnon and Jack Walker, all three will enter their draft year and have high hopes of impressing NHL teams.
- The rookies in my opinion looking to enter a spot on the team are Tyler Soy (Played with the team in the playoffs, looked excellent for a 15 year old, played like a veteran.) Some other options are Regan Nagy, Chaz Reddekopp and Matthew Campese who all played games for the Royals this season. They may not replace the likes of Crooks and Stahl, but they all have very bright futures ahead.

Forwards (14):
Ben Walker (93)
Logan Nelson (93)
Brandon Magee (94)
Steven Hodges (94)
Austin Carroll (94)
Trent Lofthouse (94)
Taylor Crunk (95)
Logan Fisher (95)
Luke Harrison (95)
Brandon Fushimi (96)
Jack Walker (F/D) (96)
Tyler Soy (97)
Regan Nagy (97)
Matthew Campese (97)

Defense (8):
Jordan Fransoo (93)
Brett Cote (94)
Keegan Kanzig (95)
Kolton Dixon (95)
Isaac Schacher (95)
Ryan Gagnon (96)
Joe Hicketts (96)
Chaz Reddekopp (97)

Goaltenders (3):
Patrik Polivka (94)
Coleman Vollrath (95)
Michael Herringer (96)

Last edited:

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
So long Deacon and Traber.

Looking forward to Nelson, Hodges, Magee, Carroll and Cote step into Veteran roles.

I would have a howl if Cote is given the captaincy next season.

My money is on Magee or Fransoo.

Zola

Feb 8, 2008
Deacon and Traber gone for sure. Excited to see what we can do with all this returning experienced explosive talent and some solid rookies.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Deacon and Traber gone for sure. Excited to see what we can do with all this returning experienced explosive talent and some solid rookies.

Not a surprise, and Logan Nelson has been extremely noticeable at the Sabres camp, which is excellent news to hear.

Even better to hear that the big man Kanzig has been impressing Flames fan and is bringing more to the table then what Flames and even Royals fans expected!

If both these guys keep up the good work, especially Kanzig, we could have some major improvements moving forward. The Royals drafted an Import in Jiri Fronk, since Gogolev is gone, but from what I've read, is nothing but an energy player with some skill. Nothing compared to what Alex brought to the table last year.

Hicketts gets recognition by central scouting as a player to watch, and for a good reason. Kids an excellent player, nothing but positives going into next season.

Plus I've heard that scouts are going to be drooling over our 97's.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Like I precdicted, Deacon and Traber go on waivers.

Traber claimed by the Giants and Deacon clears.

Which leaves Fransoo, B. Walker and Nelson. Marlon Martens said that Nelson might have a chance at signing a pro contract, I think one more year in the dub would be appropriate.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I think the odds of Nelson leaving are pretty slim. Will certainly miss Traber's physicality and willingness to stick up for his teammates, but, obviously, skill trumps intangibles.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Asst. GM Kevin Devine said the Sabres will use Traverse City and camp to evaluate whether or not it's in their best interest to sign Logan Nelson to an ELC (aka Rochester-AHL) or to return him to Victoria for an overage year. [LINK]

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Asst. GM Kevin Devine said the Sabres will use Traverse City and camp to evaluate whether or not it's in their best interest to sign Logan Nelson to an ELC (aka Rochester-AHL) or to return him to Victoria for an overage year. [LINK]

Man if they lose Nelson that would be huge loss for the Royals.

brian11

Oct 14, 2003
I think the odds of Nelson leaving are pretty slim. Will certainly miss Traber's physicality and willingness to stick up for his teammates, but, obviously, skill trumps intangibles.

I was disappointed to see him go, although at his age it is inevidable. He set the ton for the team in terms of team toughness, I've appreciated how the Royals don't get pushed around and Traber was a big part of that. Hopefully someone else steps up in that department.

But if it was a choice between Fransoo going and Traber, I'd actually keep Traber. Other than the first ncouple months when Fransoo arrived in Victoria, I haven't been impressed at all in his game.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
I was disappointed to see him go, although at his age it is inevidable. He set the ton for the team in terms of team toughness, I've appreciated how the Royals don't get pushed around and Traber was a big part of that. Hopefully someone else steps up in that department.

But if it was a choice between Fransoo going and Traber, I'd actually keep Traber. Other than the first ncouple months when Fransoo arrived in Victoria, I haven't been impressed at all in his game.

He's been the Royals best defenseman, next to Hicketts and Cote. He also wore the C whenever Stahl was injured.

brian11

Oct 14, 2003
He's been the Royals best defenseman, next to Hicketts and Cote. He also wore the C whenever Stahl was injured.

Yeah, I know he wore the C. I'd disagree that he was their best D man other than Hicketts and Cote - I thought he played quite poorly for most of the season other than after the short period of time after he was scratched early in the season. I thought both Kanzig and Dixon played better. By the end of last season he was playing like Rintoul was the year before.

Anyways, I hope being a year older with help him.

Hordichuk_24

I hear what you are saying. Although with the likes of Kanzig and Carroll still on the team the Royals will be more than fine in the toughness department.

brian11

Oct 14, 2003
I hear what you are saying. Although with the likes of Kanzig and Carroll still on the team the Royals will be more than fine in the toughness department.

Yeah, that's true. And there were others who were willing to drop them every once in a while, perhaps being a year older those guys will be a bit more confident and willing to step up. Just off the top of my head, Crunk and Dixon showed toughness at times. I remember a few games where it looked like Dixon had lost his mind and if he wasn't a beanpole he would have been a menace out there. Either way, I think the Royals will be fine in this area of their game.

Hordichuk_24

Yeah, that's true. And there were others who were willing to drop them every once in a while, perhaps being a year older those guys will be a bit more confident and willing to step up. Just off the top of my head, Crunk and Dixon showed toughness at times. I remember a few games where it looked like Dixon had lost his mind and if he wasn't a beanpole he would have been a menace out there. Either way, I think the Royals will be fine in this area of their game.

Even though I'm a Giants fan I love the way the Royals play. A hard, mean in your face kind of style. Exactly my type of hockey. That's how the Giants used to play what seems like ages ago.

Anyway my point being there is still plenty of grit and toughness on the team without Traber. So I don't think it'll hurt the Royals much (if at all). There is no guarantee Traber will even be in the WHL this season. He is trying to get a contract overseas to play in the Swiss pro league.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Carroll, Dixon, Kanzig and Crunk will take care of buisness this year.

Most likely Kanzig and Dixon. But this group is looking good, I might say Reddekopp and Soy make the team from camp.

Nelson - Hodges - Magee
J. Walker - Walker - Carroll
Lofthouse - Soy - Fushimi
Crunk - Fisher - Harrison
Fronk (if he reports)

Hicketts - Fransoo
Kanzig - Dixon/Schacher
Cote - Gagnon
Dixon/Schacher - Reddekopp

Polivka
Vollrath

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Can't wait to see Hicketts play top pairing minutes. Stoked on Chaz and Soy as well.

Hope I can make it in Victoria and watch some games this semester.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Royals signed Matthew Phillips (98) and Ralph Jarratt (98) to contracts recently. Even though Phillips is just 5'6 130, he has some really slick hands on him. If he can improve his size and strength on the puck, he's going to be good in the coming year or two.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Royals added Landon Welykholowa, Jared Dmytriw and Matthew Dykstra as well as Phillips to the preseason lineup.

I can maybe see Welykhowlowa and Dykstra challenge for sports. Dykstra a much more physical player so I could see him sticking around.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Matthew Phillips had a goal in today's preseason game against the Thunderbirds. With a bit more size, this kid could be unreal. Alexander Delnov had a hat-trick and Matthew Barzal tied the game with 2:32 left and scored the shootout winner for Seattle in a 6-5 loss for the Royals. Hicketts also had 2A.

arsmaster*

Appreciate the time and effort.

A few things: Hicketts already played for the Hlinka team, I'm assuming you meant the U18-World Championships usually played during the CHL playoffs. I think Victoria will make the 2nd round of the playoffs, so I doubt he's there.

At his height, the 1st round is an extreme longshot. Even a guy like Jordan Subban, who is quite a bit flashier as well as bigger, fell to the 4th round this past year.

I think he's a fantastic CHL player, who would be a top 15 pick at even 5'10", but the recent Hockey Canada height measurement of 5'7" is going to severely handicap his shot of going too high.

Late 2nd, early 3rd is still an option.

I thought he was the best Royal in each game I watched last season, and showed his ability to defend top players by locking down Portland's top line along with Fransoo.

Excited to catch a few more Royals games this year, awaiting my daughters hockey schedule to come out so I'll know which games I'll get to travel down to Vic for.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Appreciate the time and effort.

A few things: Hicketts already played for the Hlinka team, I'm assuming you meant the U18-World Championships usually played during the CHL playoffs. I think Victoria will make the 2nd round of the playoffs, so I doubt he's there.

At his height, the 1st round is an extreme longshot. Even a guy like Jordan Subban, who is quite a bit flashier as well as bigger, fell to the 4th round this past year.

I think he's a fantastic CHL player, who would be a top 15 pick at even 5'10", but the recent Hockey Canada height measurement of 5'7" is going to severely handicap his shot of going too high.

Late 2nd, early 3rd is still an option.

I thought he was the best Royal in each game I watched last season, and showed his ability to defend top players by locking down Portland's top line along with Fransoo.

Excited to catch a few more Royals games this year, awaiting my daughters hockey schedule to come out so I'll know which games I'll get to travel down to Vic for.
I agree, but I'm going on what I believe he should go, not what the scouts say.

And yes, but I'm just saying if the CHL doesn't get in the way, he'd make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad