GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Who says run it back? You don't have to lose trades to make changes? Like I don't understand how this makes any sense. Make good trades, make changes and make it better. How is that running it back?
Shanahan...every year.

Which is why he has to go.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
So I know we all have opinions...here are mine....

• 2/3 of Rielly, Marner and JT have gotta go - you need to make actual change with this group
  • Keefe & the entire coaching staff should be let go
  • Shanahan fired or significantly reduced role
  • Secondary pieces - Kampf, Jarnkrok, Robertson & Liljegren are available
  • Open to keeping Domi and maybe Edmundson depending on the contract demands

I know NMC all plays a part in this, the organization needs to either be willing to ruffle feathers on it or we wait a year until we can make meaningful change.

I had a few different Marner/Rielly/JT scenarios in my mind but this post is already long enough.
there's always time to post those scenarios in a second post now!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Shanahan...every year.

Shanny has used up his nine lives. How do you break up the core and keep the guy who doubled and tripled down on them? The idiot should have been fired as soon as he wanted Lou out and Dumbas in. Can't believe he's survived this long.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Just get rid of Shanahan, and the leash around Tre's neck, and don't have a President. Don't really need one. They can bring in a guy with no say in hockey matters, if they need to fill in some pen pushing.

Tavares needs to go. Don't bring him back at any price. He's worse now than Spezza was when we forced him out.

Marner needs to go. Softest playoff guy the Leafs have by far. Total wuss. And thinks he's great. Just the cap space is worth not having him, any value from trade is bonus.

Need more offense from the blueline, not less, that's looking at you Rielly haters.

Tre is doing a pretty good job, Domi is great value, Bert is probably not worth his contract but he was ok, the defense is much tougher, just not enough offense and puck movement.

Reactions: sxvnert

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Marner to Chicago maybe?

They want to add elite talent around Bedard. They have a bunch of capspace and can give marner something like 12.5M x 3 or 4 years. He helps them become a playoff team probably in 1.5 years

Marner for Tampa 2024 1st + 2024 Van 2nd + Colton Dach
You'd have to get at least the Guentzel deal if you go the futures route.

Guentzel at the deadline received 3 prospects (4th best, 6th best and 9th best of their pool), Michael Bunting and a cond' 1st.

If it's Chicago I'd be looking at Tampa 1st + Andreas Athanasiou + Sam Rinzel + Samuel Savoie + Paul Ludwinski/Colten Dach

Seattle has about 20 million in cap space this offseason, so they could absorb his contract.

Marner for Larsson + Gourde + Shane Wright with a little more coming from our end would improve the team now and going forward.

Leafs get a top pairing defenseman, a two-way 3C, and a young future 2C. We'd definitely have to add I'd imagine but I'm open to that within reason.

This is what I'd be looking at. Add Liljegren?

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

weems

Jul 3, 2008
What kind of contract will Montour get?

He fits our team pretty well, RHD, can really move the puck, play on the PP.

He's also from Ohsweken ontario and I've read the Leafs are a pretty big deal there, so wouldn't be suprised if he would sign here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Seattle has about 20 million in cap space this offseason, so they could absorb his contract.

Marner for Larsson + Gourde + Shane Wright with a little more coming from our end would improve the team now and going forward.

Leafs get a top pairing defenseman, a two-way 3C, and a young future 2C. We'd definitely have to add I'd imagine but I'm open to that within reason.

I think they'd probably want to do more of a heavy futures deal. Gourde is probably a good start but they'd be loaded on RWers so I think Bjorkstrand would be the one included for a big move like that. Add a pick or two, along with a prospect like Dragicevic or something.

Either way, your line of thinking would obviously work as well. I just doubt they have interest in trading Larsson or Wright (they need centers) if the goal is to improve.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
The board needs to fire the president, gm, coach, and the assistant coaches immediately, then hire an older, well respected person as president, then let him pick a gm, who would pick a coach, who would pick assistant coaches. Let Wes Clark handle the draft while they sort it out.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

He's also from Ohsweken ontario and I've read the Leafs are a pretty big deal there, so wouldn't be suprised if he would sign here.

Probably 7 years, $7-ish is my guess

I have him, Pesce, Roy, and Skjei as potential candidates to bolster the top 4.

Reactions: aingefan and weems

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Moving Marner for a package of futures, to restock prospect capital allows the Leafs to start rebalance their cap and allocate money to the blue line. When Tavares is up as well, there is a lot of wiggle room too. With a lot of young wingers coming into the system there is valuable ELC talent coming.

Now is a good time to invest in the back end:

Montour and one of Pesce/Roy would re-invent the back end:

Rielly-Roy/Pesce
McCabe-Montour
Benoit-Liljegren
Timmins

From there you're able to add some depth like Boosh, Edmunson and those types.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Who says run it back? You don't have to lose trades to make changes? Like I don't understand how this makes any sense. Make good trades, make changes and make it better. How is that running it back?

There's too much fixation on the player (ie 'getting rid of them') and not enough of an actual strategy to get better as a team. Trading Marner may indeed be part of that, but the team needs to get at least very good value for him (even as a potential rental).

Reactions: Buds17 and SprDaVE

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Top priorities before July 1st:

Fire Keefe
Hire a new coach
Try to sign Domi, Bertuzzi, Edmundson and Lyubushkin to reasonable contract extensions
Approach Mitch Marner regarding waiving his NTC

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Imo your not getting that return for one year of Marner, expectations have to be realistic, gaining the cap space is as important as losing the player…….

Shanahan...every year.

Winner winner chicken dinner…….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shanny has used up his nine lives. How do you break up the core and keep the guy who doubled and tripled down on them? The idiot should have been fired as soon as he wanted Lou out and Dumbas in. Can't believe he's survived this long.
We’re going find out if winning supersedes jersey sales in a hurry folks, if Shanahan isn’t gone, well there’s your answer…….

Reactions: ToneDog

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
There's too much fixation on the player (ie 'getting rid of them') and not enough of an actual strategy to get better as a team. Trading Marner may indeed be part of that, but the team needs to get at least very good value for him (even as a potential rental).
Trading Marner (or letting him walk) is obvious at this point. Name a worse playoff performer earning $11 million. That cap space could be used like Vegas did with Pietrangelo who helped Vegas win a Cup. In fact, there is a current Golden Knight who I thought was undervalued when he played for Calgary, Noah Hanifin, that I would have loved to have got in a Marner deal.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Doubt LA is interested in Lily. They demanded Durzi when Leafs were offering Lily in the Muzzin deal or so the rumour goes.
Clarke is the right thpe of D man to persue, I’m over acquiring D men on the down side of their careers……..

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Montour is gonna get overpaid because of his 1 season the season before this one. I would love him but idk if I'd want to give him a 7 year deal at a 7+ mil AAV. Maybe if he was like 3 or 4 years younger.

Reactions: TheShape

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Honestly hate the run it back model, but it might be the best way to work in some young talent and fix the defense at the same time. Need to clear Timmins/Reaves/Jarnkrok/Kampf from the books though. 1 G in 7 games and caved in 5 on 5 for that $5M.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Holmberg-??? (Stamkos/Toffoli?)
Cowan-Minten-Dewar
Gregor/Steeves/Tverberg/Grebenkin

Rielly-??? (Montour/Parayko/Pesce/Tanev/etc)
McCabe-???
Benoit-Liljegren
Webber-Mattinen

Woll
Stolarz type of add or Hildebeast.

We haven't had a young bottom 6 since Matthews rookie season and you need a coach that would trust / play them. This lineup would give you back the $20M Treliving wasted last offseason to upgrade the defense with 2 RD and 3RW spots.

Hope the young kids take strides and let Marner/Tavares sweat out their contract years.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wings fan here. I know it sucks you guys lost but you are still in a great spot IMO. Marner and Tavares both only have one year til UFA can be easily traded for cap space/ assets to build a more balanced team. As constructed relying so heavily on 4 forwards was the demise of this team. Keeping Nylander Reilly and Matthews are awesome building blocks. I actually think Detroit could be a good trade partner with Toronto too.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad