Speculation: 2012/2013 Prediction Thread

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Tarasenko has had a good head start in getting in shape and rhythm and timing. He should come out strong, early, in relation to other rookies that have just been working out and not competing in serious league games. I think he'll have a good chance to win The Calder Trophy, if he clicks with his new linemates.

Everyone that will be competing for the Calder has been playing in serious games either in the CHL, AHL, or Europe. Tarasenko will be at a disadvantage since he has never played north american hockey and just about every other competitor is playing in the CHL or AHL.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Steen leads the team in points, perron leads in goals, Oshie is a underachiever as he always was, shatty score more goals then Petro but Petro leads all D-man in points, Tarasenko score 15-15, Elliot struggles late but Halak stays in his prime.

Blue are 3rd in conference, 3rd in NHL, 2nd in division.

Blues lose in Conference finals.

I also think Bartschi will when the calder over Tarasenko.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Does anybody else think Perron will lead the team in goals scored?

He is undoubtedly the favourite to lead the team in goals. You only have to look at his numbers prior to his injury in 10/11 and after his return last season to see he is a step above everyone on the team in goalscoring. If Stewart finds his form again, then he is capable of putting up similar numbers.

Tarasenko is the obvious wildcard though. Our style of play should really suit his game, and the fact I expect him to get a lot of PP time with that shot!

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Uh isn't it just the 2013 season this year, not 2012/2013. ;) but I think we finish 2nd in our division, 4th in the conference. Perron is the leading scorer and were on Langs, Dags, and Stewart all year to pick it up with everybody else playing amazing.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Uh isn't it just the 2013 this year, not 2012/2013. ;) but I think we finish 2nd in our division, 4th in the conference. Perron is the leading scorer and were on Langs, Dags, and Stewart all year to pick it up with everybody else playing amazing.
Last season The Blues won their division, were second in conference, and finished one point behind the best record in The NHL with several players not playing at the "amazing Level". Why should they drop in achievement with 3 of their less essential players playing non-amazing, but, with ALL the others (including Tarasenko, Schwartz, Berglund, Oshie, Perron, McDonald, Steen, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Halak, Cole, Jackman, Polak, Russell, Sobotka, Nichol, Reaves and even Woywitka) playing "amazing"? Plus, they are a young team with most players not near their upside potential, who should be better each year with more experience and maturity, AND, such a young team would have an advantage over older teams (with more veterans above 30), in withstanding the tough compressed schedule, and requiring less rest.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I think last season was some luck. Also with key collapses by Detroit and Chicago. I still think we will finish 2nd or at least make the playoffs but finishing with the best record in our division will take some luck. If we can do a repeat and believe me I hope we do I will say I'm proven wrong but as long as we make the playoffs I will be happy but I do hope we can do better than just making the playoffs. I've just bet let down by this team so many times and even when the Blues were good before the 04-05 lockout u could not count on them to do much more than just make the playoffs every year. I hope we win the division but I said it before and I'll say it again, I'll be happy if we just make the playoffs. I would love to go to the Stanley cup finals also but always seems no matter how good they are something usually happens and we get knocked out in one of the earlier rounds. I hope they can prove me wrong tho cause I've been hoping for a Stanley Cup in St. Louis for as long as I've been alive. But I'll be there cheering for the Blues the whole time!!!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Detroit has lost Lidström. Nashville has lost Suter. The Blues have added Tarasenko and Schwartz, and their young core has one more year of maturity and experience, so should be improving more than teams full of veterans. In addition, The Blues youth will allow them to better withstand the lack of rest the compressed schedule brings. They also are now used to Hitch's system, and will play well in it from the start of the season. Last season, they won a LOT higher % of their games after getting used to the new system. I see The Blues as the clear favourite.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Detroit has lost Lidström. Nashville has lost Suter. The Blues have added Tarasenko and Schwartz, and their young core has one more year of maturity and experience, so should be improving more than teams full of veterans. In addition, The Blues youth will allow them to better withstand the lack of rest the compressed schedule brings. They also are now used to Hitch's system, and will play well in it from the start of the season. Last season, they won a LOT higher % of their games after getting used to the new system. I see The Blues as the clear favourite.

1) Nik wasn't that good anymore and they still have a good team
2)they still have Rinne...and Weber
3)when I predicted us to finish 2nd in the central I wasn't thinking of the teams you mentioned, Chicago should be our biggest rival this year, especially with a healthy Toews

And yes, its great to have a young core but a short season is IMO better for vet-loaded teams

For sure you are right with your statements, with the quality and depth we have the sky is the limit, I just don't set the expectations to high coz in a season like this anything can happen.

marigolds

Jun 29, 2012
No one else in the league was as dominant as the Blues last year outside of conference whereas Nashville and Chicago both were very strong against central opponents.
That might be a sign that the in-conference only schedule could be a problem this year.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I expect the Blues to be one of the top 4 challengers for the Cup, and to be a heavy hitter in the West this season. The short run-up to the season, and the minimal turnover on the team will help them to hit the ground running. The team's relative youth will be a big boon with the shorter (I believe its 48 games, not 50) season.

Last year's playoff experience will be enough to get them to the WCF, and from there....with the right luck and timing they could win the Cup.

I think Tarasenko will be among the top 3 for Calder (and is the preseason favorite to win).

Pietro will be a Norris finalist, and if the Blues are in the top 2 in the West he'll win it.

I also predict Halak will have a fantastic year statistically, and play at an elite level in the post-season.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I made a prediction in 2011 that Berglund would follow his 52 point season with a disappointing year, and then breakout in 2013. I'm just sticking by this prediction.

Thanks for the clarification. I hope he does breakout.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What are Schwartz's chances to make the club?

Hitch called him dependable, so there's a chance he could make it from the start. One thing he has going for him is that he is already in playing shape, and I don't think Hitch would hesitate to use him if he has to if one of the forwards is not well conditioned.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Correction from above: Lidstrom wasn't the best or top 5 in the league anymore last year, but still not far off of it. Truly feel privileged as a fan to have gotten to watch him play all of these years and just like Steve Yzerman, I feel that you could argue that he was the best at his position. I don't like the Red Wings, but oh my those two could flat out play the game like few others.

I still think the Blues have a shot at first in the division. I'm thinking 2 and out though in the playoffs.

Points - Perron (20 g 40 a)
Goals - Stewart (25 g)
surprise player - Berglund
disappointment - McDonald or Oshie injuries
Tank puts up 15-20
McRae will end the year in the Blue note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Correction from above: Lidstrom wasn't the best or top 5 in the league anymore last year, but still not far off of it. Truly feel privileged as a fan to have gotten to watch him play all of these years and just like Steve Yzerman, I feel that you could argue that he was the best at his position. I don't like the Red Wings, but oh my those two could flat out play the game like few others.

I still think the Blues have a shot at first in the division. I'm thinking 2 and out though in the playoffs.

Points - Perron (20 g 40 a)
Goals - Stewart (25 g)
surprise player - Berglund
disappointment - McDonald or Oshie injuries
Tank puts up 15-20
McRae will end the year in the Blue note

I am guessing that (barring a glut of injuries) McRae will be seen as a Peoria/depth player for the rest of his career or not be in the organization anymore (i.e. traded in the offseason or at the deadline).

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I am guessing that (barring a glut of injuries) McRae will be seen as a Peoria/depth player for the rest of his career or not be in the organization anymore (i.e. traded in the offseason or at the deadline).

I think injuries are going to force him into the lineup this year and he is going to surprise. I find it amusing that we look at McRae's stats, his development, and assume he plays with a glut of talent at Peoria and ignore Schwartz's. I still hold out that he may be able to contribute on a 3rd/4th line role. He was their 2nd leading goal scorer last year and has battled injuries this year. He has good size. I'm just predicting that he may be in the picture by the end of the year.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think injuries are going to force him into the lineup this year and he is going to surprise. I find it amusing that we look at McRae's stats, his development, and assume he plays with a glut of talent at Peoria and ignore Schwartz's. I still hold out that he may be able to contribute on a 3rd/4th line role. He was their 2nd leading goal scorer last year and has battled injuries this year. He has good size. I'm just predicting that he may be in the picture by the end of the year.

I just don't think he has the skills/two-way play to make it on anything other than the top six and his abilities don't warrant that. Also, I question his hockey sense and consistency.

This prognosis has absolutely nothing to do with Schwartz.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I just don't think he has the skills/two-way play to make it on anything other than the top six and his abilities don't warrant that. Also, I question his hockey sense and consistency.

This prognosis has absolutely nothing to do with Schwartz.

I agree with you on your report. With the Blues model, we role 3 lines. I don't think McRae is anything, but a marginal 3rd line guy at best. Perhaps a shot gives him some spring in his step ala Kozma of the Cards. I predict the Steen, Oshie, McDonald injury shuttle giving him a shot as we need someone with at least some center skills. While we are making predictions, I'm just picking a Kozma for this year as no one expected what we got from Kozma. McRae gives us a glimmer of hope this year(then trade him!). 1000 to 1 odds. Just an off the cuff bold prediction with no precedence.

Cochise22

Mar 29, 2009
Berglund scores the first goal of the season and leads the team in goal-scoring for this season.

The team just has to convince him that the shortened season is an extra long tournament, and then I could see this possibly happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad