OT: 2012-2013 NBA Discussion Thread: Defense? What is defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kershaw

They get under their skin, especially when Garnett is playing.

Indiana has no one of that caliber to defend/get under Melo's skin. Maybe Stevenson but Melo and him have major respect for each other. Melo and Garnett? None.
David West, Roy Hibbert and Paul George.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
David West, Roy Hibbert and Paul George.

Those guys aren't shutting Melo down. They may bother him some but not shut him down. Also, Melo will likely get the benefit of the whistle vs them.

The concern should be his shoulder. Now that can be an issue.

Love Shumpert on Paul George. That's a key matchup.
I like Tyson vs Hibbert. Tyson plays him pretty well. Hibbert hasn't exactly killed the Knicks.

Knicks need to continue to move the ball. That ISO stuff doesn't work well in the playoffs. More Prigioni.

Knicks in 6.

Kershaw

George and Hibbert are way better defensive players than KG at his point in his career. You guys underrate them severely, they are probably top 3 defensively at their positions. Hibbert is animal that dominates the paint. Melo will have an even tougher time driving to the net with Hibbert and elite perimeter defender Paul George draped on him. I also said earlier this year if a team is to beat Miami from the East, it would be the Pacers, but I assumed they would have a healthy Danny Granger.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
George and Hibbert are way better defensive players than KG at his point in his career. You guys underrate them severely, they are probably top 3 defensively at their positions. Hibbert is animal that dominates the paint. Melo will have an even tougher time driving to the net with Hibbert and elite perimeter defender Paul George draped on him. I also said earlier this year if a team is to beat Miami from the East, it would be the Pacers, but I assumed they would have a healthy Danny Granger.
I'll tell you one thing dude at least your consistent lol. first of all the Pacers are a good team but they arent anywhere near battle tested and tougher than Boston. even without Rondo Boston is a tough out in the playoffs. Roy Hibbert has always had trouble with Tyson and he also has to deal with Martin. Melo's toughest opponent has always been Boston. They know how to slow him down. Pacers have good defenders but they dont have the same impact as Boston did. Also guys like felton and shumpert have been on fire. Eventually JR Smith will get his head together. the pacers cant guard everybody

BarbaraAlphanse

Why do you under rate the Knicks but harp on everyone under rating opposing teams players?

Can Paul George handle being guarded by Shumpert? Can Hibbert handle being guarded by Tyson and Kenyon?

I've loved David West since his NO days but he's not nearly the same as he was years ago. Hes injury prone and known for getting into foul trouble too, how long can he stay on the court to actually be effective?

In addition, Melo and JR had their worst possible series. Thats them playing their worst basketball and we still won a playoff series against a difficult team (not a shoe in).

Stop under rating the Knicks and giving the benefit of the doubt to any team they play. Did they play sloppy and down to the Celtics levels at times this series? Yes. They have a lot of room for improvement. But why the constant nit picking?

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Why do you under rate the Knicks but harp on everyone under rating opposing teams players?

Can Paul George handle being guarded by Shumpert? Can Hibbert handle being guarded by Tyson and Kenyon?

I've loved David West since his NO days but he's not nearly the same as he was years ago. Hes injury prone and known for getting into foul trouble too, how long can he stay on the court to actually be effective?

In addition, Melo and JR had their worst possible series. Thats them playing their worst basketball and we still won a playoff series against a difficult team (not a shoe in).

Stop under rating the Knicks and giving the benefit of the doubt to any team they play. Did they play sloppy and down to the Celtics levels at times this series? Yes. They have a lot of room for improvement. But why the constant nit picking?
I dont put too much stock into what Kershaw says lol

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
It doesn't matter who the Knicks are playing. Their inability to move the ball will allow any team to defend them. The Knicks are just a selfish team.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
It doesn't matter who the Knicks are playing. Their inability to move the ball will allow any team to defend them. The Knicks are just a selfish team.
They moved the ball most of the game and killed the Celtics. I dont expect them to do iso melo in the 4th again. i think woody learned his lesson

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Knicks in 6.

Playing two very good defensive teams will be a good prep for Miami.

The Knicks did not have a good series against Boston and still won in 6 with two road wins.

Gotta give them credit. They've been shutting people up all season. No reason it stops with Indiana.
Boston was tougher than Indy IMO. Boston was much more battle tested and a littl better defensively. they also have HOF players. The Pacers struggles against the hawks who were probably one of the weaker playoff teams

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Joe Johnson is coming down with JR Smith Syndrome. Just tossing up shots with no regard for any teammates despite obviously being cold.

Was watching the Warriors game the other day and I couldn't help but think how badly I want David Lee back on the Knicks. Guy had a TORN HIP FLEXOR and missed 4 games. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but Lee would be a perfect PF for this team instead of Stoudemire. I love Stoudemire but given the Knicks makeup now (Melo, Chandler, Smith, Felton) I would have rather had the Knicks resign David Lee instead of signing Stoudemire in 2010. It was a tough situation because you were hoping Knicks signed LeBron James back then, but Lee wanted to be a Knick badly. He loved it in NY. Lee is probably my 3rd all-time favorite Knick after Larry Johnson and Allan Houston.

Kershaw

Joe Johnson is coming down with JR Smith Syndrome. Just tossing up shots with no regard for any teammates despite obviously being cold.

Was watching the Warriors game the other day and I couldn't help but think how badly I want David Lee back on the Knicks. Guy had a TORN HIP FLEXOR and missed 4 games. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but Lee would be a perfect PF for this team instead of Stoudemire. I love Stoudemire but given the Knicks makeup now (Melo, Chandler, Smith, Felton) I would have rather had the Knicks resign David Lee instead of signing Stoudemire in 2010. It was a tough situation because you were hoping Knicks signed LeBron James back then, but Lee wanted to be a Knick badly. He loved it in NY. Lee is probably my 3rd all-time favorite Knick after Larry Johnson and Allan Houston.

I said the same thing early in the year.

Lee was the only non enigmatic star player I've seen the Knicks have. It was sad to see him go.

Kershaw

Derrick Rose is a joke. Look at Noah playing with injury. Look at Heinrich and Deng trying to return from injury. Rose was cleared to play and he still rides the bench instead of helping team to win. He is the anti Chris Paul.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
PJ needs to be fired. Not over the summer, not next week, not tomorrow... right ****ing now. JJ is injured - he's got plantar ****ing fasciitis. Ok, fine, you let him try.

But when halfway through the 1st you realize that he doesn't have it, you nail him to the bench, damn it! Done. Period. For the rest of the damn game.

2-14 and absolute crap on defense. And I don't blame Joe - coach puts you out there, you do your best. It's on the coach for not realizing that the player is not right. PJ needs to go.

EDIT: guys, do me a favor and cut me some slack and hold off on any gloating, razzing or even simple commentary about my Nets fandom until tomorrow, ok? I am so effing furious right now.

(Oh well, at least the Yanks won.)

Last edited:

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Avery Johnson was not the problem.

Derron Williams may be the problem.

In the NBA, when there is a dispute between a star player and a coach, it's the coach that goes.

Dwight Howard vs. Stan van Gundy
Deron Williams vs. Jerry Sloan

If Deron Williams is the problem, you will see a merry go round of coaches come through Brooklyn.

ban

Mar 20, 2012
Selling 6 Knicks tickets below face for today (Sunday). Sect 213, 3 in row 5, 3 behind in row 6. $100 each (firm). Can by 3, 6 or 4 (3 with one seat behind). Can email with PayPal. Best contact: [email protected]

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Derrick Rose was cleared to play two months ago. And has been practicing for awhile now.

My gut tells me he's scared/worried and not quite feeling %100 confident with the knee.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Let's go Raymundo!

Raymundo_Rocket.gif

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
PJ needs to be fired. Not over the summer, not next week, not tomorrow... right ****ing now. JJ is injured - he's got plantar ****ing fasciitis. Ok, fine, you let him try.

But when halfway through the 1st you realize that he doesn't have it, you nail him to the bench, damn it! Done. Period. For the rest of the damn game.

2-14 and absolute crap on defense. And I don't blame Joe - coach puts you out there, you do your best. It's on the coach for not realizing that the player is not right. PJ needs to go.

EDIT: guys, do me a favor and cut me some slack and hold off on any gloating, razzing or even simple commentary about my Nets fandom until tomorrow, ok? I am so effing furious right now.

(Oh well, at least the Yanks won.)
I can understand your frustration. I am a knick fan and from 2000-2012 that organization hurt the fans countless times. It took 13 years for us to win a round and even that wasnt easy to watch. I think billy king is responsible too. Joe Johnson hits big shots but he is also extremely overpaid and i dont think he was worth all you had to give up to get him. deron williams is very talented but he also seems to disappear in important games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad