Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So do I, this division almost commands we have a team that can get down and dirty in the mud. But wheres the balance? Maybe if some of our 'stars' were nurtured into the system rather than signed into it this team might not have so many issues when they are on the offensive. Homegrown talent comes in many sizes, shapes and styles.

Agreed completely. UFA signings rarely, if ever, have that drive that the homegrown players seem to have. Bring a kid up through the ranks and show your faith in him, and he'll play his ass off for you as long as he can. Hard to find with hired guns. Not to mention the impact it can have on building cohesion and chemistry in the organization.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Agreed completely. UFA signings rarely, if ever, have that drive that the homegrown players seem to have. Bring a kid up through the ranks and show your faith in him, and he'll play his ass off for you as long as he can. Hard to find with hired guns. Not to mention the impact it can have on building cohesion and chemistry in the organization.

How many FA's have we seen in the last 14 years? How do they do their first season? Always takes time for every FA to get acclimated, sometimes a full season, sometimes they never get it.

Yet every player we trade has an immediate impact on that teams lineup :propeller

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
My fear is that the only reason he was picked #10 in that draft was exactly because of that incident. I know, I know, that seems so unbelievable right?

you want to know the EXACT incident that lead to that pick...November 19, 1998. That was the night that matt johnson suckerpunched jeff beukeboom. and to this day, 14+ years later the franchise has yet to find a suitable replacement and we've been missing THAT kind of defensemen for 14 years.

wise pick or not...mcilrath was picked to be the guy that finally gives us that kind of dman back.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
you want to know the EXACT incident that lead to that pick...November 19, 1998. That was the night that matt johnson suckerpunched jeff beukeboom. and to this day, 14+ years later the franchise has yet to find a suitable replacement and we've been missing THAT kind of defensemen for 14 years.

wise pick or not...mcilrath was picked to be the guy that finally gives us that kind of dman back.

How many teams have a Beukeboom in the last ten years? Probably half a dozen.

Still have not replaced :

Leetch
Graves
Messier
Larmer
Nemchinov
Kovalev
Mctavish

Keenan :D

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Why why why do you and other just not stop with the single minded comments ? You do know mcD and Kreider are my two favorite players right? You do know I love hockey not mma I just know hockey is played tuff and until fighting is banished you need tuff guys ,, stop trying to bury me like the rest and get to know me

Agree or disagree, your one of my favorite posters. Lots of inside stuff. Keep smiling Dagoon.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Pizza, mentioned Chara. He wasn't looking too hot early in his career. Any chance McIlrath becomes a poor man's Chara defensively? Obviously not offensively.

Not simply because you made reference, but more because you make an excellent point. If and I mean IF, Dylan evolves into a poor man's Chara, I'd take him as a career Ranger. No hesitation.

The whole Bruins back line is tough to play against. Starting w/ Chara. That's what will make them a contender for years to come. We lack that element and we need it badly. McDonagh referenced it just the other day. Meanness. As in the Rangers got none of it back there.

Punxrocknyc19*

Not simply because you made reference, but more because you make an excellent point. If and I mean IF, Dylan evolves into a poor man's Chara, I'd take him as a career Ranger. No hesitation.

The whole Bruins back line is tough to play against. Starting w/ Chara. That's what will make them a contender for years to come. We lack that element and we need it badly. McDonagh referenced it just the other day. Meanness. As in the Rangers got none of it back there.

wait we have Bickel... how about toughness who can actually play for 15 mins a night :help:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Yep, it's lacking throughout the line-up actually. Not just on the back-end.

Hoping He and Noreau work out. Also hoping Mashinter can stick for a long while. He has looked good on the 4th line. Good hands, not overly fast but knows his role is to work the puck down low and create chances with his size. Like that addition.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Name one team Beuk played on that didn't have toughness upfront as well as ANOTHER tough Dman on the back end?

One season. 1995, the lockout year. The NY hangover shortened season(that year we were shorthanded more times than any team, and still managed to score the fewest SH goals in the league!) where we were lucky to survive a future talent dynasty in Quebec, then got obliterated against the bigger, deeper Flyers team.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Or like our other prospect, Sammy Noreau, who doesn't fight anymore because everyone is scared of him. If McIlrath picks his spots, his great fighting ability is a big plus. He does scrap at some inopportune times--he's still very young, so it's to be expected--but he also sticks up for his teammates more than any prospect we've had in our system for quite a long time.

When McIlrath is on the ice, guys know not to take liberties with our players, because if they do McIlrath will beat the **** out of them or one of their players.

Honestly, I love the fact that when someone cheap shots our player, McIlrath punishes that guy. Not because I particularly like fighting, but because it allows our players to have more space and be less fearful.

Imagine you are Thomas or Bourque (or St. Croix next year). You have skill, you have speed, but every time you on on the ice, someone is trying to intimidate you so that instead of focusing on making the play, you are focusing on not getting a concussion. Now imagine that every time someone harasses you, there's a guy who will knock their lights out in your defense. Suddenly, you can focus on skating and shooting.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Name one team Beuk played on that didn't have toughness upfront as well as ANOTHER tough Dman on the back end?

One season. 1995, the lockout year. The NY hangover shortened season(that year we were shorthanded more times than any team, and still managed to score the fewest SH goals in the league!) where we were lucky to survive a future talent dynasty in Quebec, then got obliterated against the bigger, deeper Flyers team.

Who did the Rangers have in 1993-94? Kocur? He was just an enforcer. Kypreos, the punching bag who lost every one of his fights until he was knocked out by Vandenbussche and had to retire? Tikkanen was not tough, he was more chippie. Graves was not a fighter, he was tough because he was willing to take the punishment as the garbageman, but didn't intimidate opponents. Messier was the closest thing we had to a tough guy with skill, but he only fought to change the momentum of the game, not to defend others.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
How many teams have a Beukeboom in the last ten years? Probably half a dozen.

Still have not replaced :

Bluenote is regular letters, mine in bold.

Leetch - MDZ is supposed to be our offensive defenseman. Not as good, but it's something.

Graves - Callahan

Messier - Brad is a competent first line center. Not identical in what he brings, but he is a first line center.

Larmer - Stepan is a good two way player who produces more offense for us than Larmer did in a higher scoring era.

Nemchinov - Boyle

Kovalev - Nash is the stick wizard for us and a better player than Kovalev.

Mctavish - Hopefully Lindberg provides the face-off ability of MacTavish. BTW, it's Mac, not Mc.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Bluenote is regular letters, mine in bold.

Leetch - MDZ is supposed to be our offensive defenseman. Not as good, but it's something.

Graves - Callahan

Messier - Brad is a competent first line center. Not identical in what he brings, but he is a first line center.

Larmer - Stepan is a good two way player who produces more offense for us than Larmer did in a higher scoring era.

Nemchinov - Boyle

Kovalev - Nash is the stick wizard for us and a better player than Kovalev.

Mctavish - Hopefully Lindberg provides the face-off ability of MacTavish. BTW, it's Mac, not Mc.

Not sure if Brad is still a competent 1st line center anymore.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I didn't see it mentioned yesterday, but Stajcer was reassigned to Hartford from the ECHL.

He was doing really well in the ECHL. His mid-January, his GAA is 2.00 and his SV% is an insane .942. He's been the hottest player in the ECHL over the last 6 weeks.

But who's going down to the ECHL? Talbot has been great and Miss has been acceptable, though I guess the hope is that Stajcer can be better than acceptable.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not sure if Brad is still a competent 1st line center anymore.

Do you remember when for over half a year leading up to his signing, I was obsessively arguing against it, saying that we aren't ready to contend in 2011-12 and he'll be an albatross on the team long term? I was told that I'm not a psychic and that I shouldn't be predicting that around the age of 33 (when players generally start to get worse), he'll no longer be worth the money?

I was told that we need to go for it now because Lundqvist is getting older. Well, he's still getting older, still without the Cup.

Had we not signed Brad, we could've outbid for Parise and Suter.

Parise - Stepan - Gabby
Hagelin - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Pyatt
Asham - Powe - Boyle

Staal - Suter
McDonagh - Girardi
MDZ - Stralman

Even if we didn't sign Suter and Parise, going with Nash instead, we would have more than enough cap space to sign or acquire a younger center.

The good news is that we can buy him out this or next summer. I'd probably keep him one more year, then send him packing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He was doing really well in the ECHL. His mid-January, his GAA is 2.00 and his SV% is an insane .942. He's been the hottest player in the ECHL over the last 6 weeks.

But who's going down to the ECHL? Talbot has been great and Miss has been acceptable, though I guess the hope is that Stajcer can be better than acceptable.

Missaen got hurt in their last game.

Bob Crawford ‏@HawkCrawford
Missiaen is day to day with an injury. RT @marychuk47: @HawkCrawford why? Cam or Jason injured or is Stajcer just playing well?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Do you remember when for over half a year leading up to his signing, I was obsessively arguing against it, saying that we aren't ready to contend in 2011-12 and he'll be an albatross on the team long term? I was told that I'm not a psychic and that I shouldn't be predicting that around the age of 33 (when players generally start to get worse), he'll no longer be worth the money?

I was told that we need to go for it now because Lundqvist is getting older. Well, he's still getting older, still without the Cup.

Had we not signed Brad, we could've outbid for Parise and Suter.

Parise - Stepan - Gabby
Hagelin - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Pyatt
Asham - Powe - Boyle

Staal - Suter
McDonagh - Girardi
MDZ - Stralman

Even if we didn't sign Suter and Parise, going with Nash instead, we would have more than enough cap space to sign or acquire a younger center.

The good news is that we can buy him out this or next summer. I'd probably keep him one more year, then send him packing.

That ship has sailed for now. So now use harping about it.

Punxrocknyc19*

That might cost him his AHL job. I'd love to see Stajcer get into a game or two to see what he's got.

with the way the Rangers select goalies besides Lundqvist, any chance the Rangers make a trade with a team that has depth with quality goaltending prospects that has potential??

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Posted in the AHL thread, but works here as well.

Kreider ranked #20 on THN Future Watch. Miller at #38.

Top-5 Ranger prospects according to THN:

1. Kreider
2. Miller
3. Fasth
4. McIlrath
5. Thomas

6. Skjei
7. Nieves
8. Talbot
9. Jean
10. St. Croix

Of those:
C: 4 (5 if you count Lindberg)
RW: 2
LW: 1
LD: 1
RD: 1
G: 1

That's a lot of c's. Those assets must be burning a hole in Sather's pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad