Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
signing players like this to NHL contracts are useless especially if they have no future in the NHL like Niemi and Pyett.... too bad Valentenko didnt work out a few years ago on the Whale and bolted for Russia and Pashin is too stubborn to play in the AHL. cant NHL teams find out if the player is committed to come to north america..

I really liked Valentenko. Hopefully he'll come back soon. Pashnin pisses me off. He can stay in Russia.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Happy with it:shakehead Never said that, you implied it, this is already a peeve of mine, hate that I have to point this out to a veteran poster no less.

Lucia is the sexy player out of the two, but at the Pro level you're gonna be shocked at who the better player will be. Or maybe not, like you said you were high on him. So was I, I was saving video clips of him months before the draft cause that was the only way to see him unless you live in Minny. A few of us saw his size, his rank and his play and knew he'd be just the kind of guy you pick in the 3rd round. And oh yeah, he's a 3rd rounder, where unpolished talents are taken every draft. It's almost always assumed these players will need time to develop or on the cusp.

You keep mentioning Sam Calbrese, an older Dman that had a few points more playing more icetime and that somehow solidifies his poor season? What planet is the thinking cap you're using manufactured from? :p:

I don't 'see' top six in him, I said he has the chance to be, that's not the same thing. Your MO is to frequently distort whats said, I think your processor needs adjusting :p:

'He looks more and more...'

You are talking about a 20 yr old ! You are always SO SURE, yet you get it wrong just as often as right. So do I, but I rarely talk in absolutes, yet that is something you do all the time. Why do you think I mention the JPP Giants pick and how you thought it was awful, Jon, learn from your mistakes man, its relatively painless :D

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Logan Pyett went to Russia.

http://www.hcvityaz.ru/hc-vityaz/item/937-kanadskaya-zaschita

Link is Russian, just the press release, nothing important.

He was a quality AHLer. I wish we kept him. He was good as both a forward and a defenseman, though better on D. Kept his mistakes to a minimum. Not much of an NHL future ahead of him, so it made a lot of sense to go to Russia where he can fly the plane instead of riding the bus, get paid better, play in front of arenas full of people, etc.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
signing players like this to NHL contracts are useless especially if they have no future in the NHL like Niemi and Pyett.... too bad Valentenko didnt work out a few years ago on the Whale and bolted for Russia and Pashin is too stubborn to play in the AHL. cant NHL teams find out if the player is committed to come to north america..

Why are you complainng about players who signed a contract and did come and play in North America? Most prospects need to play in the AHL--it's the only way for them to develop and for teams to see if they can become NHLers. However, the vast majority of them will not make it to the NHL, regardless of their nationality.

How does giving up on them before any attempt is made to even see if they can develop going to help going to help the organization? If nothing else, AHL teams need more than raw rookies playing.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Pyett > Vally
Pyett >>>>>>>>>>Pashnin

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
maybe if I compare Yogan to Fogarty I'll get some insight on him . . .

I watched Yogi regularly, and Fogi only occasionally, but I would gladly put my money on Yogan. He's faster, better at charging at opponents, has a nice shot that is well-suited for a power forward, and is at least as smart as Fogger. He's likely to be Hartford's second line LW next season.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
I watched Yogi regularly, and Fogi only occasionally, but I would gladly put my money on Yogan. He's faster, better at charging at opponents, has a nice shot that is well-suited for a power forward, and is at least as smart as Fogger. He's likely to be Hartford's second line LW next season.

Any NHL comparables? Is Bryan Bickell 2.0 too much of a stretch?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Any NHL comparables?

Yogan will probably be a faster version of Dale Weise. I know it's not a sexy comparison, but a faster version of Weise is a pretty good bottom-6 player. Would be more effective on both offense and defense.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Happy with it:shakehead Never said that, you implied it, this is already a peeve of mine, hate that I have to point this out to a veteran poster no less.

So . . . doing what you do is not allowed when I do it to you? ;) You're the master of reading into posts and/or distorting what they say.

Lucia is the sexy player out of the two, but at the Pro level you're gonna be shocked at who the better player will be. Or maybe not, like you said you were high on him. So was I, I was saving video clips of him months before the draft cause that was the only way to see him unless you live in Minny. A few of us saw his size, his rank and his play and knew he'd be just the kind of guy you pick in the 3rd round. And oh yeah, he's a 3rd rounder, where unpolished talents are taken every draft. It's almost always assumed these players will need time to develop or on the cusp.

But that's the difference between him and Stepan (who as you know I was equally high on). They were both raw, but Stepan developed very quickly and showed his upside early. Fogarty has not. And I worry about that. He's going to be 20 already.

You keep mentioning Sam Calbrese, an older Dman that had a few points more playing more icetime and that somehow solidifies his poor season? What planet is the thinking cap you're using manufactured from? :p:

Sam is a defensive d-man who put up more points in his first full season of NCAA hockey than Fogarty did. I really am disheartened by that. You should be, too. You need to at least admit that his point totals were disappointing as to what his upside is/was. You harp on the fact that he got minimal ice time. Guess what? He didn't earn any more than he got.

I don't 'see' top six in him, I said he has the chance to be, that's not the same thing. Your MO is to frequently distort whats said, I think your processor needs adjusting :p:

So I do the same thing that you do.

You are talking about a 20 yr old ! You are always SO SURE, yet you get it wrong just as often as right. So do I, but I rarely talk in absolutes, yet that is something you do all the time. Why do you think I mention the JPP Giants pick and how you thought it was awful, Jon, learn from your mistakes man, its relatively painless :D

I do not talk in absolutes. I do give much stronger opinions than you do, however. And you know what? I think that is a lot more courageous than *****footing around with weak opinions to try and not be wrong about them. Your wishy-washy views enable you to pretend that you call things correctly more often than not. You mention the JPP pick and not the numerous times I was correct because you like to cherry pick your arguments when you try and disparage someone. No other reason. :D

If you want the last word, you can have it.

Last edited:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I mention the JPP pick cause it's the easiest way to explain how stubborn you are sometimes. You give no real logic, you write prospects off way too soon and say it like its fact. Just because I don't jump to one side or the other doesn't mean i'm 'wishy washy', just means I'm being smart by not making assumptions based on small sample size. One, not even two seasons make or break a player, maybe in your NFL draft mentality.

You still didn't even address the line he played on at the end of the season, being young and inexperienced, they were playing as one of ND's best. But do me a favor and don't bother, you'll just dismiss it like it doesn't matter.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pyett would have been a good player to bring back. Vernace would be too. Collins--not so much.

For those who don't like the idea that guys like these don't have much chance to make the NHL and so are better off dumped I can only say that you need to spend more time looking at capgeek--that it can be your friend.

A quick perusal for the 2013-14 season would tell you that the Rangers have 5 non-NHL defensemen currently under contract. Leading the pack for the Pack next year as far as experience goes is the much maligned Stu Bickel. 2nd as far as experience goes is one of our better prospects Dylan McIlrath who only has a slight bit more than half a year as a pro. Coming in third with one (as in 1) career AHL game is a college free agent Conor Allen and after that both Tommy Hughes and Samuel Noreau no pro experience at all--and I'm wondering just how competitive do some people believe this AHL team of ours is going to be if those are 5 of the 6 d-men we dress every night?--and keeping in mind what happens if McIlrath sticks with the big club? or if say Noreau or Hughes are deemed not ready for the AHL and wind up in Greenville instead?

For a team to be competitive at the AHL level you need at least some seasoned veterans (notice the plural) on your defense--and whether or not they're NHL worthy--at least two guys who can play in your top 4. The easy answer is to sign these guys to AHL contracts I suppose--but you know what?--the better guys out there who can fit into your top 4 are a lot more likely to sign with a team that will give them a two way NHL contract. The d-men who do sign AHL contracts tend to be bottom pairing guys. I'm not making this up--this is more or less how it works. This is why guys like Newbury, Segal, Vernace keep being re-signed because they're still valuable to organizations. They're 1) around as NHL depth in case of injury--2) as help in building a winning enviroment to develop your younger players in--3) to also help those younger players develop and adjust to life on and off the ice. They can be extremely important to their organizations even if they seem like losers to some. You cannot win at the NHL let alone the AHL level with just first and second year guys. Look at the ****ing Oilers. Tons of talent. Lack of experience.

Last edited:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I liked Pyett but he's replacable. Fogarty reminds me a bit of Rucchin and thats not horrible, hes not on a stepan track but most arent. Yogan seems to have all the tools, i could be wrong but i have the impression that his head isnt in it or goes to make tough area plays. Wiese was a bit of the opposite i thought, a tough minded guy who needed more technical skill.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 4m
Rangers also did not extend qualifying offers to Niemi and Pamieri. Would not have qualified Ferriero, either. Ferriero was traded for Falk

Looks like Palmieri will not be back.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Gross just tweeted that Mashinter WAS qualified.

I am pretty amused by above where folks speak with certainty about Fogarty's limited potential.
He was key to Penticton's dominant season, then had a solid, typical NCAA freshman year, most frosh on top teams don't get major minutes.
My gut says he could end up as a better all around player than Yogan, but they're still both really young.
I for one don't love the job Gernander is doing developing F's at Harftord. He didnt have Step at all, only had Hags for a few months, so what Forward can be seen as NHL ready thanks to coach Kenny?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am pretty amused by above where folks speak with certainty about Fogarty's limited potential.
He was key to Penticton's dominant season, then had a solid, typical NCAA freshman year, most frosh on top teams don't get major minutes.

Penticton is in the BCHL, which is a low-end league. Not low-end like where you and I would play, but for someone hoping to make the NHL, it's about as low as it gets and anything below that are just kids hoping to get a college hockey scholarship, realizing their playing days will end when they graduate. So playing in the BCHL, he was a third liner. Sure, it was a loaded team, but it was loaded compared to other BCHL teams, and it would be a low-end team in juniors or NCAA.

In college, he was a 4th liner. Sure it's not a big deal (though still not great) for a freshman, but only if it's an 18 year old freshman. Here were are talking about a 19 year old.

There's nothing he's shown in his first two seasons as a third liner in the BCHL and a 4th liner in NCAA that proves that he's worth more than a 3rd round pick.

My gut says he could end up as a better all around player than Yogan

Yogan is a quality AHLer in his rookie season. He can skate really, really well for a big guy. In fact, he's an above average skater for a guy any size. He has a good shot and he can score garbage goals. He needs to put his game together with additional AHL experience and he'll have a real shot at the NHL.

I for one don't love the job Gernander is doing developing F's at Harftord. He didnt have Step at all, only had Hags for a few months, so what Forward can be seen as NHL ready thanks to coach Kenny?

Kenny G sucks. I want him fired asap.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
AHL deal

Gernander’s comment on the exchange of veteran stalwarts was, “After last season, when we looked at our power play, we could use someone on that back end (defense) that can quarterback it for us. And I think that’s one of the great things that he (Syvret) brings to the table. He’s got professional hockey experience (eight years of pro, mostly in the AHL), and in order to get something good you’ve got to give up something good. Kris has been a top offensive performer for us, but we have some young kids coming in that are going to play pretty significant roles offensively, and we see Syvret as being a better complement to them and to their game, and it’s a better fit given the personnel that we’re bringing in and that we’re going to start the season with next year. Really it’s not much more than that. Syvret brings an element that we’re a bit lacking in, and he should complement the young players and help in their development.â€

http://www.howlings.net/hawks-eye-view-prospect-camp/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad