WJC: 2011 WJC in Buffalo

• Thread starter MSG the place to be*
  • Start date

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
Canada's in a bad situation next year. Very few potential returnees.

I doubt Hall is back. Seguin might not be around either. Eberle, Scandella, Hamonic, Pietrangelo, McMillan - all 90's, so no longer eligible. Even Kadri might not be around with the centre-starved Maple Leafs as his owner.

I don't know if there's a Taylor Hall or John Tavares in the lot. Will Ryan Nugent-Hopkins be ready for that?

David Musil of Vancouver and Jordan Weal of Regina will probably be there.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Slightly off topic but right now I saw them only selling packages, does anyone know when single game tickets are becoming available?

This year round-robin single game tickets didn't come out until like 2 weeks before the tourney started, and I'm sure it'll be the same next year, they really press the packages hard onto fans. Single game tickets for the gold medal didn't come out until December 30th, if that gives you a better idea.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Whoa, the standings fell perfectly for the USA. Stamp their ticket to the semi-finals already. I like this group for Canada though, I think this year may have hurt them a bit. They only played two meaningful games, both against the Americans and one of them was in the final. Next year Canada will get some tough games prior to when it really counts. Plus we don't have to sit through as many blowouts.

Should be a good one next year, get ready for a Canadian invasion Buffalo! WJC.. the only reason to ever visit Buffalo. ;)

No i would not say the states is a lock for the semi finals.It depends who returns and so on even then you can't really for any team say there a lock for a semi-final spot.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Lots of freshly drafted 92's at next years tournament, I'd think. Gormley, Gudbranson, McFarland, Connolly, Weal.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I'm predicting that the Canada-USA games will be about 50-50 in terms of fans in the crowd, which should make for an awesome atmosphere.

Yes, you guys are correct to predict that many Canadians will travel across the border for this tournament, since the WJCs are so big across the border.

But you also have to take into account that this tournament is going to be a big deal locally in Western NY, and local hockey fans and Sabres fans are going to want to be a part of it. Whenever there has been a big hockey event in Buffalo (NCAA Frozen Four in 2003, Winter Classic 2008, etc.), the local population gets really into it and shows up in force to support it.

Should lead to some great atmosphere and back-and-forth.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
What I don't understand is why the despairity in location size. I mean, why didn't they make it a joint Buffalo/Rochester bid? That way you don't have to worry about trying to juggle so many teams at the major venue.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
What I don't understand is why the despairity in location size. I mean, why didn't they make it a joint Buffalo/Rochester bid? That way you don't have to worry about trying to juggle so many teams at the major venue.

Too bad the old Memorial Auditorium isn't still standing.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Has that been announced? That would prohibit them from scheduling a USA/Canada game on New Year's Eve, which it looks like they want to have a tradition of doing.

Yes it is because it's based on the final standings from the previous year. It just happened that Canada and the US always ended up in the same group the past years so they could schedule that game.

Lifer

Dec 29, 2009
Minnesota
Kind of off topic and a bit homerish but I think it would be sweet to see a WJC in the future in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area in Minnesota. It's the best place for hockey in the states and they could use the Excel Center where the Wild play for one pool and the medal round and Mariucci Arena where the University of Minnesota plays for the other pool and the 3rd place game. There's also the Target Center if there needs to be some scheduling relief for the other venues. The only issue I see is that the Excel Center is an NHL size ice sheet and Mariucci Arena is an olympic size sheet. Would that be an issue for the WJC?

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

They did it in ottawa last year just fine.Group a played at the scotia bank place group b at the civic centre.I am sure it will be much the same in buffalo like ottawa not all the teams will play out of one arena.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
They did it in ottawa last year just fine.Group a played at the scotia bank place group b at the civic centre.I am sure it will be much the same in buffalo like ottawa not all the teams will play out of one arena.

Pretty sure one of the pools in Ottawa played out of the Old Ottawa Civic Centre (capacity 10,000). That's considerably bigger than the second venue which was previously mentioned for the Buffalo tournament.

Canuck71*

lets not get carried away here. there will be plenty of Canadian fans in attendance, but you truly do under estimate how big hockey is un upper New York, and just how many Americans will be there. It will not be as close as some of you think, but I am sure you will pack in many fans.

I don't think you realize what its like here. I already know several people that have ordered ticket packages and that's just in Sarnia alone. I can't even imagine how many people from the GTA and Nigara region have already ordered theirs. You sound confident but if these two teams do meet up I'll bet it will be somewhere around 50/50.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Whoa, the standings fell perfectly for the USA. Stamp their ticket to the semi-finals already. I like this group for Canada though, I think this year may have hurt them a bit. They only played two meaningful games, both against the Americans and one of them was in the final. Next year Canada will get some tough games prior to when it really counts. Plus we don't have to sit through as many blowouts.

Should be a good one next year, get ready for a Canadian invasion Buffalo! WJC.. the only reason to ever visit Buffalo. ;)

I really hope this doesn't happen with the mens team at the Olympics.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

That's a good question...I have no idea why they wouldn't use the BCA in Rochester as opposed to Dwyer Arena. The BCA seats 11,000.

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
I know tons of people that have already bought ticket packages to the games. I will be buying some Canada single game tickets when the event is near. I think it will be 50/50 if not more for the Canadians tbh.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Games involving the US will probably be more like 70/30 USA.

Games involving Canada will probably be 75/25 Canada, maybe more.

A US-Canada game is likely to be closer to 50/50, maybe slightly in favor of Canada.

Every other game will probably be closer to 60/40 Canada.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Slightly off topic but right now I saw them only selling packages, does anyone know when single game tickets are becoming available? Are most of the games (From the Canada/USA angle) going to be held at the HSBC Arena?

Might as well make my way across the border and help create an atmosphere, which BTW I do believe will be a good one. Buffalo is a good hockey town and sits on the border. Both American and Canadian games should have a loud crowd.

They're going to sell as many packages as possible before releasing single game tickets. Hopefully they have earlier release date in mind than Dec 12th used by Regina/Saskatoon.
http://www.buffaloworldjuniors.com/tickets.asp

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
That's a good question...I have no idea why they wouldn't use the BCA in Rochester as opposed to Dwyer Arena. The BCA seats 11,000.

I assume it's because Tom Golisano is putting up the money and he has issues with certain people in Rochester. :laugh: He's also donated a ton of bucks to Niagara University.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
How about this for the pools next year

POOL B
Canada
Sweden
Russia
Czech's

POOL A
USA
Switzerland
Finland
Slovakia

And then toss in the other two teams...Pool B will be nuts

Pool A doesn't look that strong. I'd switch Czechs with Slovakia. And the two other teams are are Norway and Germany. Norway in B, Germany in A, and I'm good.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
This year round-robin single game tickets didn't come out until like 2 weeks before the tourney started, and I'm sure it'll be the same next year, they really press the packages hard onto fans. Single game tickets for the gold medal didn't come out until December 30th, if that gives you a better idea.

They're going to sell as many packages as possible before releasing single game tickets. Hopefully they have earlier release date in mind than Dec 12th used by Regina/Saskatoon.
http://www.buffaloworldjuniors.com/tickets.asp

Thanks. I guess I'll have to wait then since I have no interest of making the drive down to Buffalo more then a few times. It's not exactly Detroit, but its still a fairly long drive for me.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Pool A doesn't look that strong. I'd switch Czechs with Slovakia. And the two other teams are are Norway and Germany. Norway in B, Germany in A, and I'm good.

it was the same this year. Pool A had Canada, The US and crap, while the other group had Finland, Sweden, Russia and the Czechs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad