WJC: 2011 WJC in Buffalo

• Thread starter MSG the place to be*
  • Start date

MSG the place to be*

I've only been following the WJC for a few years. When the tourneys were held in Sweden and Czech Republic the games were basically snoozers. The Canada crowds really turned me on to the WJC because they are so unbelievably passionate that I felt like I could not miss what was going on. Now after the past 2 years I am hooked.

My question is - what is the atmosphere like historically in the United States? I really hope its better than countries ive seen (sweden/czech) but in no way am i expecting anything close to Canada. Hopefully this years victory makes next year a couple notches better. I know all of us who follow will enjoy it regardless because the storyline will be great with Canada going out for revenge and the U.S. defending their turf and their gold.

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
I've only been following the WJC for a few years. When the tourneys were held in Sweden and Czech Republic the games were basically snoozers. The Canada crowds really turned me on to the WJC because they are so unbelievably passionate that I felt like I could not miss what was going on. Now after the past 2 years I am hooked.

My question is - what is the atmosphere like historically in the United States? I really hope its better than countries ive seen (sweden/czech) but in no way am i expecting anything close to Canada. Hopefully this years victory makes next year a couple notches better. I know all of us who follow will enjoy it regardless because the storyline will be great with Canada going out for revenge and the U.S. defending their turf and their gold.

Being from Buffalo, I'd imagine it would be similar to a Sabres/Leafs game. I'm going to if tickets are available closer to it.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Being from Buffalo, I'd imagine it would be similar to a Sabres/Leafs game. I'm going to if tickets are available closer to it.

Slightly off topic but right now I saw them only selling packages, does anyone know when single game tickets are becoming available? Are most of the games (From the Canada/USA angle) going to be held at the HSBC Arena?

Might as well make my way across the border and help create an atmosphere, which BTW I do believe will be a good one. Buffalo is a good hockey town and sits on the border. Both American and Canadian games should have a loud crowd.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
There will be a massive amount of canadians at the games.I will say this usa hockjey is very very smart they picked buffalo as they know they can count on canadians to attend the tournemant.

Canuck71*

If it ends up being a Canadian-American final again I fully expect there to be just as much probably more Canadian fans there than there will be American fans.

NJDevils11

Dec 31, 2008
Lincroft, NJ
One group is going to play in HSBC which seats close to 19,000 and the other group will play at Dwyer Arena in Niagara which seats 2100. Big difference there, sucks for the group at Dwyer.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
One group is going to play in HSBC which seats close to 19,000 and the other group will play at Dwyer Arena in Niagara which seats 2100. Big difference there, sucks for the group at Dwyer.

They're going to play with that. Since USA and Canada aren't in the same group this year, there's no way they'd have one of those two teams not playing in the HSBC.

I'm guessing the majority of Group B games (including all Canada games) will be in the HSBC with all USA games happening there as well. They'll probably move some of the "lesser" games from Group B to Niagara.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
can't be worse then this years crowd.

This year only 2 games the crowd wen't nuts, every other games was a complete farce.

the media is talking about it in nausea right now.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If it ends up being a Canadian-American final again I fully expect there to be just as much probably more Canadian fans there than there will be American fans.

lets not get carried away here. there will be plenty of Canadian fans in attendance, but you truly do under estimate how big hockey is un upper New York, and just how many Americans will be there. It will not be as close as some of you think, but I am sure you will pack in many fans.

NJDevils11

Dec 31, 2008
Lincroft, NJ
They're going to play with that. Since USA and Canada aren't in the same group this year, there's no way they'd have one of those two teams not playing in the HSBC.

I'm guessing the majority of Group B games (including all Canada games) will be in the HSBC with all USA games happening there as well. They'll probably move some of the "lesser" games from Group B to Niagara.

Well I guess that makes sense all of the US and Canada games should be played at HSBC, Buffalo and Niagara are what only 30-45 minutes away or something so its feasible. Still a big difference in the two venues though, we'll see how it goes.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i have been looking into tickets since last night, and I have no idea what team is going to play in what arena, they do not clarify that. I am sure that the US will be at the HSBC arena, but they are only offering 17 game packages right now. I only want the medal round games but they are not up there yet. I already told my wife get ready for even colder weather next December, because we are going to Buffalo baby!!

the packages are still pretty reasonably priced though.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Hockey is very popular in Buffalo and Canada is close by, should be a great place to have it.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
lets not get carried away here. there will be plenty of Canadian fans in attendance, but you truly do under estimate how big hockey is un upper New York, and just how many Americans will be there. It will not be as close as some of you think, but I am sure you will pack in many fans.

You really don't think thousands of canadians will make the trip.

Mr Lahey*

So who ever wins Group B...would they play Team #2 from Group A?

And the Americans will likely face Canada, Sweden or Russia in the Semis?

I'll be there by the way. Already set up.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
So who ever wins Group B...would they play Team #2 from Group A?

And the Americans will likely face Canada, Sweden or Russia in the Semis?

I'll be there by the way. Already set up.

Winners of Group B and Group A automatically into the Semis and play for a medal at worst.

#2 and #3 from each group play one another in the quarterfinals. Winners advance to semis.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How about this for the pools next year

POOL B
Canada
Sweden
Russia
Czech's

POOL A
USA
Switzerland
Finland
Slovakia

And then toss in the other two teams...Pool B will be nuts

Whoa, the standings fell perfectly for the USA. Stamp their ticket to the semi-finals already. I like this group for Canada though, I think this year may have hurt them a bit. They only played two meaningful games, both against the Americans and one of them was in the final. Next year Canada will get some tough games prior to when it really counts. Plus we don't have to sit through as many blowouts.

Should be a good one next year, get ready for a Canadian invasion Buffalo! WJC.. the only reason to ever visit Buffalo. ;)

Mr Lahey*

Winners of Group B and Group A automatically into the Semis and play for a medal at worst.

#2 and #3 from each group play one another in the quarterfinals. Winners advance to semis.

Sorry ya the quarters is what I was thinking.

Group B should be a massacre of Norway...

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Canada's in a bad situation next year. Very few potential returnees.

I doubt Hall is back. Seguin might not be around either. Eberle, Scandella, Hamonic, Pietrangelo, McMillan - all 90's, so no longer eligible. Even Kadri might not be around with the centre-starved Maple Leafs as his owner.

I don't know if there's a Taylor Hall or John Tavares in the lot. Will Ryan Nugent-Hopkins be ready for that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad