WJC: 2011 Team Canada?

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
Pardon the ignorance (at least I admit to it) but who are we looking at from the 2011 draft to make the team. Or do you think it'll be mostly people who are already drafted.

BLBarmada

In net, if Jack Campbell showed us anything this year, you always, always, always, always go with skill. On skill, Pickard and Domingue are the best goaltenders we have. I lined up a very mobile D. And take this from someone who's seen Taylor Doherty play some 40 times over the last three years, he has some good games but they're not the norm. He's nowhere near as dominant physically as he needs to be in order to be effective.
Remember, when you're selecting a Team Canada, a lot of it is attributable to a coach's familiarity with the players and Hockey Canada's history with them. Al Murray brings the kids to camp that Hockey Canada has liked for a long time (kids like Kozun are an exception). The coaches take the kids they know can play at a high level and the ones who stand out at camp.
In this case, the coach I picked was Bob Boughner, for me it's not a stretch to say that he would take a lot of the players that ran over the competition for him at last summer's Hlinka Tournament.

Have you ever heard of Maxime Clermont ? because hes better than Dominigue and probably Pickard.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Have you ever heard of Maxime Clermont ? because hes better than Dominigue and probably Pickard.

Heard of Clermont, seen him play. Not only that, I know what to look for, I've been working with goaltenders for about ten years. Domingue is more talented and has significantly more pro potential. By the way, CSB agrees with me on that.

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
I can't see Hall being in the NHL next year unless he really bulks up. He looks very weak out there, easy to knock of the puck, and weak along the boards.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I can't see Hall being in the NHL next year unless he really bulks up. He looks very weak out there, easy to knock of the puck, and weak along the boards.

Weaker than Patrick Kane when he entered the NHL and Evander Kane this year?

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Any chance that Jesse Blacker can make team Canada?

The following defensemen are likely ahead of him in the Hockey Canada ledger:

Ryan Ellis
Calvin de Haan
Jared Cowen
Dylan Olsen
Brandon Gormley
Nicolas Deslauriers
Erik Gudbranson
Alexander Petrovic
Mark Pysyk
Charles-Olivier Roussel
Simon Despres
Stefan Elliott
Ryan Murphy
Troy Rutkowski

So, while nothing is impossible, I'm going with highly unlikely.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Weaker than Patrick Kane when he entered the NHL and Evander Kane this year?

Is Taylor Hall on pace for 145 points in 60 games? Pat Kane was...
Does Taylor Hall play like he is 2 inches taller, and 25 lbs heavier? Evanker Kane does

The Big Swede*

I highly doubt Hall makes the nhl next year

Is Ellis eligible for next year?

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I believe at least one of Riley Sheahan or Brandon Pirri could lock up a spot depending on how they start next year. a darkhorse for me is Jaden Schwartz whos ripping up the ushl as a 92 if he can continue to produce at that pace in the collegiate level next year he could get a look in camp

although highly unlikely id love to see a guy like Dylan McIlrath make this team.. guy can flat out kill people. its been awhile since the canadian defense had a purely physical identity that strikes fear in oppenents. sure the last number of years we've had a so called "shut down" pairing comprized of big defensemen but they havent used their size to their advantage or made forwards think twice about rushing in on them.. The american team had small forwards with immense speed, in my opinion a physical defense could counteract this speed and slow down transition, this edition of team canada lacked a purely phsyical defenseman who would punish opposing star players

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I believe at least one of Riley Sheahan or Brandon Pirri could lock up a spot depending on how they start next year. a darkhorse for me is Jaden Schwartz whos ripping up the ushl as a 92 if he can continue to produce at that pace in the collegiate level next year he could get a look in camp

although highly unlikely id love to see a guy like Dylan McIlrath make this team.. guy can flat out kill people. its been awhile since the canadian defense had a purely physical identity that strikes fear in oppenents. sure the last number of years we've had a so called "shut down" pairing comprized of big defensemen but they havent used their size to their advantage or made forwards think twice about rushing in on them.. The american team had small forwards with immense speed, in my opinion a physical defense could counteract this speed and slow down transition, this edition of team canada lacked a purely phsyical defenseman who would punish opposing star players

You can't hit what you can't catch. The idea that physical play can replace skill at this level of hockey is nonsense. The biggest problem with the Canadian defence at this WJC was its lack of foot speed. What were Tuebert and Cowan other than 'physical defensemen' who could supposedly 'punish opposing players'. Both were exposed by quicker U.S. forwards, to the point that Cowan's ice time was greatly reduced. In hockey, speed, and not physical play, is the greatest intimidator. If otherwise, the Chicago Bears would win the Stanley Cup.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
You can't hit what you can't catch. The idea that physical play can replace skill at this level of hockey is nonsense. The biggest problem with the Canadian defence at this WJC was its lack of foot speed. What were Tuebert and Cowan other than 'physical defensemen' who could supposedly 'punish opposing players'. Both were exposed by quicker U.S. forwards, to the point that Cowan's ice time was greatly reduced. In hockey, speed, and not physical play, is the greatest intimidator. If otherwise, the Chicago Bears would win the Stanley Cup.

While your point is well taken, Chris Pronger, Dion Phaneuf and Scott Stevens all say hi. The trick is being able to find defensemen who can do both. You need a guy who's mobile, but also knows how to rattle someone's teeth. That was never part of Jared Cowen's game, I've watched the kid since he was 16, he's never been physically punishing. Teubert was supposed to be able to do that in this tournament and he failed spectacularly, you're quite right to point that out.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is Taylor Hall on pace for 145 points in 60 games? Pat Kane was...
Does Taylor Hall play like he is 2 inches taller, and 25 lbs heavier? Evanker Kane does

So your saying he doesn't have the skill to play in the NHL. Not everyone who makes the NHL have put up stats like Patrick Kane. Its also news to me that Taylor Hall is 165lbs since Evander is 190lbs. Lol at the people saying Hall for sure won't be in the show next year.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I must say I'm pleasantly suprised. I figured I'd have to come in here to defend Jeff Skinner, but he's getting plenty of love in this thread. :handclap: And even some unsuspected love for Ryan Murphy.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I must say I'm pleasantly suprised. I figured I'd have to come in here to defend Jeff Skinner, but he's getting plenty of love in this thread. :handclap: And even some unsuspected love for Ryan Murphy.

I mentioned earlier that of all the non-returning players that Skinner is close to a lock in making the 2011 team.
I'm not going to cause a ruckus here by comparing him to a player on the 2010 team but Skinner is very special and ultra-competitive.

As for Murphy, he could make the team, but it all depends on the PP abilities of the 91's defencemen. But you can chisel Murph for 2012.

Last edited:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
You raise some valid points but i dont believe speed is a greater intimidator , canada has beaten the russians at times where they were clearly out skilled but thanks to their grit and physicallity overcame that skill and speed. Just look at Hrasko from this year, in his game against canada he hit everything that moved and clearly rattled some canadian forwards. As for Teubert and Cowen, I questioned Cowens place on this team from the beginning I thought Dylan Olsen was much better suited for a tournament like this. Teubert like you said was on this team to fill the role of a physical defenceman, but the fact is he didnt deliver and at times was a liability for canada. Physical D is key in a short tourny such as the WJC. Just look at John Ramage for the US I thought he was the unsung hero of that team and made some excellent physical and defensive plays when it mattered for them.

BLBarmada

Heard of Clermont, seen him play. Not only that, I know what to look for, I've been working with goaltenders for about ten years. Domingue is more talented and has significantly more pro potential. By the way, CSB agrees with me on that.

Im not saying Domingue is awful cause he's not he played Midget AAA for my region's team and he carried that team to the conference finals where they lost in 6 games I know he's good but i thought clermont was better and more logical cause he's got more experience.

Seeing as how you know what to look for in goalies maybe you could answer these question better than I can. (sorry not trying to be or sound rude)

Is Calvin Pickard Better Than Chet Pickard ?
Is Louis Boileau-Domingue Better than Calvin Pickard ?
How good do you think Matt Hackett will be ?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
So your saying he doesn't have the skill to play in the NHL. Not everyone who makes the NHL have put up stats like Patrick Kane. Its also news to me that Taylor Hall is 165lbs since Evander is 190lbs. Lol at the people saying Hall for sure won't be in the show next year.

Firstly can you read? I said Evander Kane plays like he is 25 lbs heavier. He crashed boards, the net and doesnt get pushed around. Hall can be pushed around. Or did you not see the WJC?

As for comparing Pat Kane to Taylor Hall, I was merely replying to that fact that someone asked if Hall's size should be criticized considering Pat Kane made the NHL at his size. My reply was that Kane is a lot more skilled and thus can get away with it. Kane also is a feisty guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad