2011 NHL Draft - Player Strengths and Weaknesses

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Not sure if this thread has been started already by someone else, but I've always found this type of thread to be useful. Most of us are prospect junkies, and living in different parts of the world gives us exposure to different players.

So I think making a prospect bank in which people can use as a resource for the upcoming draft would be helpful for everyone. (Maybe this can get stickied?)

Let's try to keep the format something along the lines of:

Prospect Name:

Strength:

Weaknesses:

Stats:

Something like that. Add a picture if you'd like.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

101213ryannugenthopkins.jpg

Strengths: Possesses unreal play-making ability. Great vision/Hockey IQ and passing, with good defensive awareness to boot. Has the ability to make his linemates better.

Weaknesses: Size and strength is definitely an issue. Will definitely be looking to add some weight this off-season.

Stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=117125

4thliner*

RNH's one-time and slap shot is pretty weak. Weakest out of the all top 5 forwards. That an his size are only bad parts of his game. I was gonna say timid and soft but that goes with the size weakness. Maybe if he gets stronger he can over come those and pure point kind a guy. Just don't expect an emotional competitor type.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
RNH's one-time and slap shot is pretty weak. Weakest out of the all top 5 forwards. That an his size are only bad parts of his game. I was gonna say timid and soft but that goes with the size weakness. Maybe if he gets stronger he can over come those and pure point kind a guy. Just don't expect an emotional competitor type.

:facepalm: Try watching him at least once before posting about him.

4thliner*

Ryan Strome
Ryan-Strome.jpg

Strength: Great hands, great skater and top end speed. Very high offensive IQ and dynamic offensively with the ability to get fans out of their seats and dman man out of their pants off the rush in the neutral zone and around the net. Competitive and has grit to his game. Blistering NHL caliber shot already at 17. Can play the point on the PP and score from the outside 5 on 5 very well. Very early birthday, only 2 months older than 2012 #1 overall favourite Nail Yakupov. Could have easily won OHL scoring title if he did not miss time.

Weaknesses: Defensive game is lacking. Back checking level and overall game is not at Couturier, Huberdeau, or even Nugen-Hopkins level as far as the centers, forget Landeskog.

Stats:[/B]

GP 65 G33 A73 PTS106 PIM82 +28

Last edited by a moderator:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Joel Armia

uk_27583_ar.jpg

Strengths: Good and quick shot. Has nice hands and can make pretty plays by himself. Also has plenty of confidence and isn't afraid of contact.

Weaknesses: Strength and defencive game. Weight and also more consistency with age is needed.

Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=40624

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

His shot is not weak, the problem is that he's reluctant to use it and just because a player is skinny, that doesn't mean he is soft. He is not soft and he is extremely competitive.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Alexander-Khokhlachev.jpg

Prospect Name: Alexander Khokhlachev

Strengths: He's one of the youngest players in the draft - only a few days shy of being a 2012 pick. Is very shifty, and has good speed. Doesn't shy away from contact even though he's rather small. Great hands, and dangerous in the offensive zone. Can make plays out of nothing, and is usually one step ahead in the offensive zone. Has continued to produce in the playoffs.

Weaknesses: Not a big player, and needs to add significant strength - can get knocked off the puck because of this. Can go through the occasional inconsistencies, but this should be something fixed through experience. Benefits from having a power-forward winger with him.

Future Outlook: If taken outside of the 1st round, he'll be a great pick IMO. I expect the Russian factor may play a part for some teams, but he's really driven towards being an NHL player. Has the potential to be a top-six forward and to me, draws comparisons to Mikhail Grabovski.

Stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130571

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Craig+Duininck.jpg

Prospect Name:
Craig Duininck

Strengths:
Seems to be solid in both the offensive zone and defensively. Very willing to stand-up for his teammates, and can play a physical game - not easily intimidated (7 fights on the season). He's not tall, but is a solid at 200lbs. Has a good shot and contributed 7 goals from the defensive end this year - more defensive minded then offensive however.

Weaknesses: Is a little below average in size for an NHL defender. Doesn't 'wow' you in one particular category. He's already 200lbs and is 6'0 so he'll need to manage his weight accordingly.

Future Outlook:
Could be a go-to defender with Nick Ebert for the Spitfires next season. Could take his offensive game to another level due to this. Projects as a bottom-pairing, two-way defender who keeps his game simple. Likely a mid-round selection (4-5th round).

Stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122858&encode=TRUE

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Oh I did. He tries but he still SOFT. He looks uncomfortable fighting for space and getting into physical confrontations

Even if you've watched him, you've never seen him.

Everything you said is the exact opposite of the truth.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Emotional and competitive is how almost everyone describes him.

In all the games I've seen of him (5?) this is not what I would use to describe him. Very talented though, and one of the best skaters I've seen at that age in a while.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
In all the games I've seen of him (5?) this is not what I would use to describe him. Very talented though, and one of the best skaters I've seen at that age in a while.

Okay, it's how everyone but you and 4thliner describe him.

In the more than 5 times I've seen, he's not "one of the best skaters I've seen at that age". Both Hall and Seguin last year were faster. Hell, Eakin was faster two years ago.

4thliner*

What is up with some Edmonton fans and their defence of RNH?

It is not like you drafted the guy already lol

He has major strengths and glaring weaknesses to his game like all the prospects. I don't think for a second that he is significantly better (if any better) than Landeskog, Strome, Heberdeau, and Couturier, and I would rate Larsson higher.

4thliner*

Dougie Hamilton
ept_sports_juniorhockey_experts-359519773-1291139485.jpg

Strength: Great fluid skater never mind for a guy his size at 6-4, very good passer and puck mover. Good shot from the point. Excellent vision and can make breakout passes. Smart and high hockey IQ which is always critical for a dman to reach their potential. Not a great deal separating him from Larsson. Where Larsson might have a bit an edge in awareness and major advantage in terms of bulk and strength, Hamilton is the faster and more fluid skater of the two and a bit taller. He is also excellent defensively and does not cheat offensively to get his points. Raised up his game to another level in the OHL playoffs and looking like a stud worthy of top 5 selection.

Weaknesses:
Needs to get stronger and add muscle. Not a flashy guy and no part of his overall game really jumps out other than his smarts and skating.

Stats:
Regular season GP67 G12 A46 PTS58 +35 PM77
Playoffs GP11 G3 A11 PTS14 +11 PM12

Last edited by a moderator:

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Jamieson Oleksiak

Oleksiak%2BJamie%2BNU.jpg

Pros
Tough, physical two-way defenseman who is listed at 6'7" 240. He has solid offensive instincts, and consistently makes fairly crisp, accurate passes, an ability that has improved drastically over the past season. However, what separates Oleksiak from other big defensemen is his skating ability. Because of his mobility, strength, and technique he is rarely compromised defensively.

Cons
Jamie needs to develop his shot more. He can put some zip on the puck but isn't precise enough to rely on it at the point. Would like to see him play a more punishing style but that will come eventually.

Stats
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/viewastext.php?6c060e8d=e059e910&pid=117317

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

He has major strengths and glaring weaknesses to his game like all the prospects. I don't think for a second that he is significantly better (if any better) than Landeskog, Strome, Heberdeau, and Couturier, and I would rate Larsson higher.

Dude, you questioned one of the best 17 year old shooters I've ever seen's ability to shoot the puck. Everyone and their dog says he works his ass off, coaches on both sides and scouts. He's almost unanimously the choice here, and you basically gave the most inaccurate scouting report possible.

What you said would be like me saying that Gabriel Landeskog is a smaller forward who doesn't use his frame and could step up more in the dressing room. The exact opposite of what we've always heard.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Dude, you questioned one of the best 17 year old shooters I've ever seen's ability to shoot the puck. Everyone and their dog says he works his ass off, coaches on both sides and scouts. He's almost unanimously the choice here, and you basically gave the most inaccurate scouting report possible.

What you said would be like me saying that Gabriel Landeskog is a smaller forward who doesn't use his frame and could step up more in the dressing room. The exact opposite of what we've always heard.

Well in his defense, RNH's onetimer and Slapshot definitely need work and his wrist shot is above average but not Sakic like as some people have been saying. If RNH's shot was as good as you say it is, along with his hockey IQ and Vision he'd have put up more then his 31 goals. So he has to be missing one of the three and from what I've seen it's his shot and flat out speed that are holding him back. He had the agility but he doesn't have that extra gear that for comparison Hall does. He also needs to be stronger on FO's and overall strength, he's not going to run anyone over at his size in the NHL.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Because your scouting report of him is far from the truth. He has weaknesses but having a weak shot, being soft and non-competitive are not his weaknesses.

His true weaknesses are that he doesn't shoot enough, he needs to be a little more selfish. He needs to gain strength and improve his faceoff abilities.

4thliner*

His shot is WEAK, I've seen him play plenty and EVEN he says it has to improve. His wrister has some zip to it but its far from Sakic his slaper is downright weak, not even impressive for CHL level. He can improve it but I don't think it can improve to that extreme of a level. I don't think he will develop Strome type of shot who can generate a lot of power and beat you from the blueline even though Strome isn't really any bigger or stronger than RNH.

His speed and lack of explosiveness I think will be a lot easier to improve with better leg strength than his shot, the mechanics and stride is there.

Sensation

Apr 27, 2009
Cary, NC
Alexander-Khokhlachev.jpg

Prospect Name: Alexander Khokhlachev

Strengths: He's one of the youngest players in the draft - only a few days shy of being a 2012 pick. Is very shifty, and has good speed. Doesn't shy away from contact even though he's rather small. Great hands, and dangerous in the offensive zone. Can make plays out of nothing, and is usually one step ahead in the offensive zone. Has continued to produce in the playoffs.

Weaknesses: Not a big player, and needs to add significant strength - can get knocked off the puck because of this. Can go through the occasional inconsistencies, but this should be something fixed through experience. Benefits from having a power-forward winger with him.

Future Outlook: If taken outside of the 1st round, he'll be a great pick IMO. I expect the Russian factor may play a part for some teams, but he's really driven towards being an NHL player. Has the potential to be a top-six forward and to me, draws comparisons to Mikhail Grabovski.

Stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130571

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Craig+Duininck.jpg

Prospect Name:
Craig Duininck

Strengths:
Seems to be solid in both the offensive zone and defensively. Very willing to stand-up for his teammates, and can play a physical game - not easily intimidated (7 fights on the season). He's not tall, but is a solid at 200lbs. Has a good shot and contributed 7 goals from the defensive end this year - more defensive minded then offensive however.

Weaknesses: Is a little below average in size for an NHL defender. Doesn't 'wow' you in one particular category. He's already 200lbs and is 6'0 so he'll need to manage his weight accordingly.

Future Outlook:
Could be a go-to defender with Nick Ebert for the Spitfires next season. Could take his offensive game to another level due to this. Projects as a bottom-pairing, two-way defender who keeps his game simple. Likely a mid-round selection (4-5th round).

Stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122858&encode=TRUE

Whoa. Is it just me or does Duininck kinda look like Phaneuf?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
His wrister has some zip to it but its far from Sakic his slaper is downright weak, not even impressive for CHL level.

Is Joe Sakic's wrister really a good barometer to measure teenage kids coming into the NHL?.....

Most guys in the NHL are pretty "far from Sakic" in the wrister category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad