2011 lines compared to todays lines. Whats better, whats worse ?

LolClarkson*

For Kesler I mean strictly in goal scoring terms he is a solid 25 goal guy but not a 40 goal one.

If anything having him stay healthy is key for a deep playoff run but as much as they are on a peak right now, it questionable what the playoffs will deliver with the ghosts of past years IMO.

And while Santorelli and Higgins have had very strong years, in terms of expectations, a carryover to the playoffs isn't automatic by any means.

like it or not the playoffs favour heavy teams like LA and the Blues and our PP is really a weak point and the area that is probably most critical IMO.

The Blues and Kings were anointed the top contenders last year and they didn't make the western finals. The Wings with a soft, defensively liable point leader (Brunner) made the finals. I know they played each other but still...

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
We also didn't have Manny in the playoffs, apart for the last 6 games where he wasn't effective, which left Lapierre as the full time 3rd center and Bolduc/Hodgson/??? as the 4th line centers. For as close as we get our forward depth wasn't very good, with the center depth being horrible.

Viggy wasn't exactly developing Hodgson very well that season either, some of our lack of depth was an inability of Viggy to develop it.

most fans were very aware of our lack of depth at center and how Kesler and Hank were probably overplayed and we still haven;t really recovered form the lack of center depth now.

Although Richardson is okay as a 3rd liner he would be stellar as a 4th and often Kesler is put on wing.

I thought Bo would be a perfect fit for 3rd line this year and have a larger role each year going forward but the timetable might be a year off for this core group.

LolClarkson*

We also didn't have Manny in the playoffs, apart for the last 6 games where he wasn't effective, which left Lapierre as the full time 3rd center and Bolduc/Hodgson/??? as the 4th line centers. For as close as we get our forward depth wasn't very good, with the center depth being horrible.

Now we have Richardson, Santo and Schroeder as centers to work with.

LolClarkson*

Viggy wasn't exactly developing Hodgson very well that season either, some of our lack of depth was an inability of Viggy to develop it.

most fans were very aware of our lack of depth at center and how Kesler and Hank were probably overplayed and we still haven;t really recovered form the lack of center depth now.

Although Richardson is okay as a 3rd liner he would be stellar as a 4th and often Kesler is put on wing.

I thought Bo would be a perfect fit for 3rd line this year and have a larger role each year going forward but the timetable might be a year off for this core group.

Dont forget about Schroeder. If he can get 100%. Richardson is our 4th

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
The Blues and Kings were anointed the top contenders last year and they didn't make the western finals. The Wings with a soft, defensively liable point leader (Brunner) made the finals. I know they played each other but still...

Detroit also has 2 guys named Zets and Dats who have been playoff warriors.

also Brunner led that team in goals and was tied fro 3rd in points with Dats.

Others did the heavy lifting as Brunner didn't lead the team, which seems implied,he was 9th in TOI on that Detroit team for forwards.

My comments were more directed on how we match up under playoff type of rules and conditions against heavy teams like the Blues or LA, we wouldn't be favorites would we?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Dont forget about Schroeder. If he can get 100%. Richardson is our 4th

Jordan is a wildcard and man it would be great if he could audition for a spot elsewhere with a great performance coming back but that's a real stretch from what we have seen in the past and the long term layoff as well.

Still given Kesler's past injury problems, if he goes down so do the Canucks as he is probably their most valuable playoff forward and neither Richardson or a 100% Schroeder can play 2nd line duties.

Bo as an emergency recall would be a better hope but i'm not sure on the rules around that.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Jordan is a wildcard and man it would be great if he could audition for a spot elsewhere with a great performance coming back but that's a real stretch from what we have seen in the past and the long term layoff as well.

Still given Kesler's past injury problems, if he goes down so do the Canucks as he is probably their most valuable playoff forward and neither Richardson or a 100% Schroeder can play 2nd line duties.

Bo as an emergency recall would be a better hope but i'm not sure on the rules around that.
Not a chance, it's easily the Sedins'. In our last 4 series the Sedins' have factored in on 55% of our scoring, honestly I don't know a team that relies on their top forwards as much as Vancouver does with the twins.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I didn't realize Sedins have a better goal differential this year by a fair bit. That makes up for their offense a little bit, and maybe that's part of the reason they've declined :dunno:

givemeda411

Sep 7, 2007
Vancouver
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Samuelsson
Higgins Lapierre Hansen
Torres Bolduc Glass
Malhotra (returned for finals)
Oreskovich (useless)
Tambellini
Hodgson

Hamhuis Beiska
Edler Ehrhoff
Rome Salo
Ballard Alberts
Tanev

vs

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Santorelli
Booth Richardson Kassian
Sestito Dalphe Hansen
Weise
Welsh
Schroeder?

Hanhuis Beiska
Edler Garrison
Stanton Tanev
Weber Alberts
Corrado

Honestly...it looks like a wash. No better no worse. Although I think if you take into account that Higgins and Lappy were both brought in at the deadline for a couple of dead prospects and 3rd round picks. If Gillis can get similar pieces at the deadline, (just spitballin) say a Boyes & Setoguchi or Callahan at a slightly higher price then yes we are a very deep team.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He's kind of been forgotten but Schroeder can still have an impact once healthy on the current team. Hard to tell whether that's on the 3rd line or 4th line since we've barely seen him. Should have been pegged for the 3rd, but Richardson has done well there in his absence.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
kind of a wash. but 2014 has better depth. just missing a couple of pieces to get over the top. another 2 top 6 guys.. that CAN SCORE the core is simply slowing down. 2014-2015 is when the young bucks can step in and make an impact.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Not a chance, it's easily the Sedins'. In our last 4 series the Sedins' have factored in on 55% of our scoring, honestly I don't know a team that relies on their top forwards as much as Vancouver does with the twins.

We will agree to disagree on that one and I said one player, of course the twins are more than Kesler.

Ryan shuts down Toews when we advance and the Sedins come unraveled against Bolland in that round in 11.

I'll take Ryan with Hank as the 2nd most important forward.

LolClarkson*

Detroit also has 2 guys named Zets and Dats who have been playoff warriors.

also Brunner led that team in goals and was tied fro 3rd in points with Dats.

Others did the heavy lifting as Brunner didn't lead the team, which seems implied,he was 9th in TOI on that Detroit team for forwards.

My comments were more directed on how we match up under playoff type of rules and conditions against heavy teams like the Blues or LA, we wouldn't be favorites would we?

From 2009 to 2013, H Sedin had more points in the playoffs then Datsyuk. Dats and Zets and the Sedins are a wash even in the playoffs.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Tough to say. Can't really write a lineup with Malhotra along with Lapierre and Higgins, since they were on the team together for all of two weeks.

Same with the defence - there was only ever 1 regular season game with everyone all together, and Edler in the first half was a beast, then he was a shell of himself in the playoffs.

Agree. At no point during that season did we ever have our entire lineup together, fully healthy. Those two weeks between the trade deadline and the day Manny injured his eye were when the team featured the strongest forward corps we'd have had, and we even didn't have our starting 6 D-men all together until Game 82.

Injuries, injuries, injuries... :(

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It's kind of hard to compare because both squads have been affected by injury - playoffs more so for the former. Though if you're looking at both teams in the regular season only, I think the 2011 team wins out.

Production-wise, our top guys may be producing less but if you compare the 2013-14 team to the 2011 playoff roster, I feel this team is deeper in the bottom 6.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Specific thing we're scoring far fewer goals without: Ehrhoff's entry

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
For Kesler I mean strictly in goal scoring terms he is a solid 25 goal guy but not a 40 goal one.

I'd argue Kesler was never really a 40 goal guy, he just happened to do it once (see Blake, Jason). Plus, the 50 assist Kesler had the year prior was much more impressive IMO, and the current Kesler looks more like that player than the player he was in his 40 goal season.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
From 2009 to 2013, H Sedin had more points in the playoffs then Datsyuk. Dats and Zets and the Sedins are a wash even in the playoffs.

I'll take the 2 guys plus 20 and 30, Sedins have been good but the attempt to equate them with Dats and Zetts is really weak and old here.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I'd argue Kesler was never really a 40 goal guy, he just happened to do it once (see Blake, Jason). Plus, the 50 assist Kesler had the year prior was much more impressive IMO, and the current Kesler looks more like that player than the player he was in his 40 goal season.

I'd agree with this and that's why I think he is the most important playoff forward.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
at 5v4, better support for Kesler, worse support for the Sedins. Weaker down the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad