2011 Draft - My Top 10

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
1) Edmonton - RNH

they really need/should take Larsson but they take the centermen instead figuring that next yrs draft is supposedly D- Man heavy

2) Av's - Larssons

they have to take Larsson. To pass on him would be incredibly stupid....but then again they did make a horrid trade that has put them into this spot in the first place. I give a 10% chance that they go off the board.

3)Florida - SC

with a bunch of top end D-man prospects and them trading away forwards they IMO would most definitely take a big, defensively responsable power forward that has offensive ability as well.

4)Senators - Landeskog

by all accounts that I have read.with a grain a salt mined you..this franchise has an absolute man crush on this guy. I personally think he's over rated/over hyped but this is their pick.

5) Isles - Ryan Murphy (i hope and pray)

this is the most interesting spot in the top 10...with Garth Snow's secretive C.I.A mentality its hard to read if they are leaning to Murphy, Strome or Hamilton. In the end, Murphy's top end skill and talent wins over any concerns about his size.

6)Devils - Hamilton

they need a PMD badly and were hoping for Murphy but will have to settle for Hamiliton.Hamilton does bring offensive ability to the table..(no where near Murphy) but also brings size. As a converted forward he will still have to work on his D-game but with his size and agility and learning from Larry Rrobinson in a few short years he will be an all round quality d-man.

7)Atlanta - Strome

they need offense. They could use another quality d-man but the higher priority is a forward and Stome is the highest rated forward still on the board.

8) Wild - Huberdeau

much like the Panthers and Thrashers they also need offense

9) Blue Jackets - Siemens

the Jackets are doing back flips to get their PMD offensive future PP QB D-man

10)Blues - Tyler Biggs

after trading away Boyes and robbinng the Av's they will want to continue to build their offense to compliment Petrangelo and Shattenkirk among others...they take the 210 ibs Biggs. Nice Power forwards..Stewart and Biggs

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
1) Edmonton - RNH

they really need/should take Larsson but they take the centermen instead figuring that next yrs draft is supposedly D- Man heavy

2) Av's - Larssons

they have to take Larsson. To pass on him would be incredibly stupid....but then again they did make a horrid trade that has put them into this spot in the first place. I give a 10% chance that they go off the board.

3)Florida - SC

with a bunch of top end D-man prospects and them trading away forwards they IMO would most definitely take a big, defensively responsable power forward that has offensive ability as well.

4)Senators - Landeskog

by all accounts that I have read.with a grain a salt mined you..this franchise has an absolute man crush on this guy. I personally think he's over rated/over hyped but this is their pick.

5) Isles - Ryan Murphy (i hope and pray)

this is the most interesting spot in the top 10...with Garth Snow's secretive C.I.A mentality its hard to read if they are leaning to Murphy, Strome or Hamilton. In the end, Murphy's top end skill and talent wins over any concerns about his size.

6)Devils - Hamilton

they need a PMD badly and were hoping for Murphy but will have to settle for Hamiliton.Hamilton does bring offensive ability to the table..(no where near Murphy) but also brings size. As a converted forward he will still have to work on his D-game but with his size and agility and learning from Larry Rrobinson in a few short years he will be an all round quality d-man.

7)Atlanta - Strome

they need offense. They could use another quality d-man but the higher priority is a forward and Stome is the highest rated forward still on the board.

8) Wild - Huberdeau

much like the Panthers and Thrashers they also need offense

9) Blue Jackets - Siemens

the Jackets are doing back flips to get their PMD offensive future PP QB D-man

10)Blues - Tyler Biggs

after trading away Boyes and robbinng the Av's they will want to continue to build their offense to compliment Petrangelo and Shattenkirk among others...they take the 210 ibs Biggs. Nice Power forwards..Stewart and Biggs

LOOL:laugh:

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Take a peak at the NJ board and you'll quickly find that NJ fans all prefer Huberdeau, Murphy, and Strome over Hamilton. He just brings more of what we already have in our pipeline and with Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas and Burlon, we have a decent stable of defensive prospects. NJ might take a shot with Murphy as much of what is being said about him is EXACTLY what was said about Scott Neidermeyer, however, I think they only take him if Huberdeau is off the board.

Ironically, with DeHaan in the stable, the Islanders need a solid two way d-man and Hamilton actually is much more of a fit for them.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I read that crap too and LOLed, cause the OP actually thinks the Blues robbed the Avs and he also thinks the reason the Avs are in this position is because of the trade.

I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain could see the reason the Avs are in the position they are is due to excessive amounts of injuries and terrible coaching. It has nothing to do with the "trade" of Stewart and Shattenkirk. Or the "trade" of Craig "I quit and played like crybaby because I didn't get my ideal contract offer right away" Anderson.

And whats up with people thinking the Avs always go "off the board" with their picks? We take one guy, Hishon, last year who was off the board (but is proving this year in the OHL that taking him at 17 wasn't too far fetched) and now all of a sudden we are that team that always goes off the board? I mean we took Duchene when we were supposed to same with O'Reilly, Elliott, Barrie etc. Its not like we have a huge reputation for going off the board.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I read that crap too and LOLed, cause the OP actually thinks the Blues robbed the Avs and he also thinks the reason the Avs are in this position is because of the trade.

I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain could see the reason the Avs are in the position they are is due to excessive amounts of injuries and terrible coaching. It has nothing to do with the "trade" of Stewart and Shattenkirk. Or the "trade" of Craig "I quit and played like crybaby because I didn't get my ideal contract offer right away" Anderson.

And whats up with people thinking the Avs always go "off the board" with their picks? We take one guy, Hishon, last year who was off the board (but is proving this year in the OHL that taking him at 17 wasn't too far fetched) and now all of a sudden we are that team that always goes off the board? I mean we took Duchene when we were supposed to same with O'Reilly, Elliott, Barrie etc. Its not like we have a huge reputation for going off the board.
It sure is looking that way...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It sure is looking that way...

Talk to me in 2 years when Johnson is a stud dman, which I'm convinced he will be with his attitude and work ethic, and Stewart is a run in the mill 25-30 goal winger who floats and doesn't give full effort every night and Shattenkirk is another undersized dman that is easily pushed off the puck by all the bigger forwards. Plus the Avs have another 1st coming their way what if the Avs get someone like Seimens in the trade as well.

You can't judge a trade after 15-20 games especially since the players are so young and the remaining draft picks haven't even been made.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I would be thrilled if the Wild ended up with Huberdeau, tho knowing this team we'll win out and end up picking 11th

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Talk to me in 2 years when Johnson is a stud dman, which I'm convinced he will be with his attitude and work ethic, and Stewart is a run in the mill 25-30 goal winger who floats and doesn't give full effort every night and Shattenkirk is another undersized dman that is easily pushed off the puck by all the bigger forwards. Plus the Avs have another 1st coming their way what if the Avs get someone like Seimens in the trade as well.

You can't judge a trade after 15-20 games especially since the players are so young and the remaining draft picks haven't even been made.

you're giving your team the benefit of the doubt, and the Blues the short end..... plain and simple the deal looks pretty good in the Blues favor AS OF NOW. sure things can change, but right now the Blues win.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

I agree that EJ is going to be an incredible d-man. However, Stewart and Shattenkirk are very good players and are not exactly "run in the mill" kind of guys. I don't think you should belittle the players that the Avs traded just to make it look like it will end up in your faovr. It was a shocking, interesting, but good trade for both teams.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
you're giving your team the benefit of the doubt, and the Blues the short end..... plain and simple the deal looks pretty good in the Blues favor AS OF NOW. sure things can change, but right now the Blues win.

Well they're both out of the playoffs right now. Difference is when the avs made that trade they no they weren't making the playoffs, the Bluees thought Stewart's offense would take them over the top and make a playoff push. At the end of the day both teams didn't make the playoffs but going into next year I would rather have a #1 defender than a first line winger. Also my bad Isles for derailing the thread.

Quezzle E

Mar 2, 2011
As far as the Col STL trade goes, can we stop talking about who won/lost for now? give it at least a year to see where that pick ends up. I'd say the best player went to Colorado. Stewart is great and Shattenkirk I would love on my team any day. But if that pick could also end up being the best player in the trade. McClement is no slouch either, I heard Stl fans talk about him earlier this year and his how (a bit ridiculously) he should win a selke. he's pretty much your ideal 3rd line center for a line your not expecting to score a bunch.

I'm just saying for example, what if that pick turns out to be #11 next year and Colorado ends up with a guy like Kopitar?

I think the trade was a gamble on Colorado's part, but in 5 years they might look like easy winners. give it time, its completly unfair to say they got ripped off right now.

Look at the Kessel deal for proof. Leafs fans and to a lesser degree Bruins fans thought Kessel for 2 firsts that at the time were nothing and a second was a hell of a steal. Now Bruins fans won't give you Seguin for Kessel straight up, let alone adding in Knight who looks like he has potential to be a real good pro, and the 8th-12th overall pick this year. That could potentially be a whole top line, just for a one dimensional sniper. Now who won that trade?

Deals with picks need time, end of story.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The Avs/Blues trade can't even be judged until the pick has been used. Who knows what happens with this trade. What if Shattenkirk gets in a fatal accident next year? Or Eric Johnson takes a puck to the eye? I mean less than a half of a season to judge a trade that was made in order to improve both teams in the LONG RUN is crazy.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Why is it that we can't just say it was a fair trade? You guys got, potentially a franchise d-man and a solid 3rd line center. Good for you guys. We got a great power forward who can possibly score around 35-40 goals, and a decent offensive d-man in Shatty. You Avs fans were raving a year ago how Stewart was gonna be a force to be reckoned with, and how Shatty was a stud because of his stellar start. Now that their traded, all of a sudden their skill and potential has gone down the drain? Your right, we can't judge a trade 15-20 games after, but what makes you so sure EJ will be that franchise d-man? Did the skill that Stewart and Shatty apparently lost, magically transfer to EJ? All three main pieces are great players, and they have a great future ahead of them. Stop being a narrow-minded #@$% and learn to be more humble.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010

With all due respect, Johnson will never be a stud dman. He doesn't have the head for an elite level dman and one of his legs is damaged goods. The Blues didn't trade him haphazardly.

Right now, the trade looks like a steal for the Blues, and there are no indications that the future will change that. The Avs basically have to hit home runs with the picks they got from the Blues.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why is it that we can't just say it was a fair trade? You guys got, potentially a franchise d-man and a solid 3rd line center. Good for you guys. We got a great power forward who can possibly score around 35-40 goals, and a decent offensive d-man in Shatty. You Avs fans were raving a year ago how Stewart was gonna be a force to be reckoned with, and how Shatty was a stud because of his stellar start. Now that their traded, all of a sudden their skill and potential has gone down the drain? Your right, we can't judge a trade 15-20 games after, but what makes you so sure EJ will be that franchise d-man? Did the skill that Stewart and Shatty apparently lost, magically transfer to EJ? All three main pieces are great players, and they have a great future ahead of them. Stop being a narrow-minded #@$% and learn to be more humble.

It was a fair trade you find too many avs fans say it isn't. You guys needed offense we needed a #1 defender. I love both Stewart and Shattenkirk, I have watched them play 10 games since the trade happened both will be great players but not without their faults. Every time one of them ends up on the score sheet somebody will bring it up on the avs board, we know they are good players. If you go to the avs board you will see a number of Blues saying how you guys robbed us and Johnson will only be as good as Philips, not that their isn't anything wrong with Philips but Johnson will be a lot better. Hell some Blues fans say they can't believe they good both Stewart and Shattenkirk for only McClement and how the avs better hope to strike oil with the 1st pick. There's no doubt in my mind that Johnson will be #1 defender and Stewart will be a 40 goal scorer. I loved the trade since day 1 even tho Stewart is one of my favorite players in the NHL.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
It was a fair trade you find too many avs fans say it isn't. You guys needed offense we needed a #1 defender. I love both Stewart and Shattenkirk, I have watched them play 10 games since the trade happened both will be great players but not without their faults. Every time one of them ends up on the score sheet somebody will bring it up on the avs board, we know they are good players. If you go to the avs board you will see a number of Blues saying how you guys robbed us and Johnson will only be as good as Philips, not that their isn't anything wrong with Philips but Johnson will be a lot better. Hell some Blues fans say they can't believe they good both Stewart and Shattenkirk for only McClement and how the avs better hope to strike oil with the 1st pick. There's no doubt in my mind that Johnson will be #1 defender and Stewart will be a 40 goal scorer. I loved the trade since day 1 even tho Stewart is one of my favorite players in the NHL.

Thank you, it feels good to hear a response from an intelligent individual. I agree, all teams are gonna have those fans that are complete idiots and bathe in homerism and it's annoying. The Johnson to Phillips comparison isn't a bad comparison, though EJ definitely has better offensive upside in his game. But comparisons only get you so far, I could say Stewart is the next Iginla, when in reality he has a long way to go to reach Iggy's level. IMO, at this point Stewart is a poor man's Iggy, and EJ is a poor man's Pronger. Stewart needs to manage the puck better and be more of a leader, and EJ isn't as mean and rough as Pronger. That doesn't mean they won't reach that status, and they have a lot of room to grow. Both will be top players in the league in a couple years time, and I agree, EJ should(I don't wanna say "will" just yet) be a #1 d-man, and Stewart should(same reason as EJ) be a 35-40 goal scorer.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
With all due respect, Johnson will never be a stud dman. He doesn't have the head for an elite level dman and one of his legs is damaged goods. The Blues didn't trade him haphazardly.

Right now, the trade looks like a steal for the Blues, and there are no indications that the future will change that. The Avs basically have to hit home runs with the picks they got from the Blues.

I find it funny how people keep writing this guy off at the age of 22. Where was Weber, Chara and Keith when they were 22?

You aren't the first person to say that he doesn't have the head to be elite but it's ridicules IMO. His hockey sense is fine, the Blues fans were complaining about how he couldn't get his shots through and they chalked it up as poor hockey sense but he as improved immensely since the last 10 games or so. Johnson's biggest problem is that he tries to do too much but he will learn to simplify his game and he will become a force. I mean 22 year old defender doesn't have faults? I know I'm not going to change your mind about Johnson by talking, you'll just have to watch Johnson play.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!

*Avs fan deep down trying .... not... to ... respond......gahhhh*

Defenceman- First 3 season's point totals​

Rob Blake- 125
Dan Boyle- 112*
Tomas Kaberle- 107
Erik Johnson- 101
Sergei Gonchar- 99**
Zdeno Chara- 91***
Brent Seabrook-86
Duncan Keith-84
Shea Weber-70
Chris Pronger-69
Jack Johnson-58

* Boyle's totals are over his first 6 seasons due to games played.
** Gonchar's are over 4 seasons due to games played.
***Chara's are over 6 seasons due to games played.

But yes, at the age of 22, he is damaged. Bary Trotz even compared him to Shea Weber/Eric Brewer with positive things to add. But hey, what does he know compared to you right?

/ derailing thread.

Sorry OP but you started a flame war.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

With all due respect, you don't know that....

Why do I even bother coming on here anymore lol

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Thank you, it feels good to hear a response from an intelligent individual. I agree, all teams are gonna have those fans that are complete idiots and bathe in homerism and it's annoying. The Johnson to Phillips comparison isn't a bad comparison, though EJ definitely has better offensive upside in his game. But comparisons only get you so far, I could say Stewart is the next Iginla, when in reality he has a long way to go to reach Iggy's level. IMO, at this point Stewart is a poor man's Iggy, and EJ is a poor man's Pronger. Stewart needs to manage the puck better and be more of a leader, and EJ isn't as mean and rough as Pronger. That doesn't mean they won't reach that status, and they have a lot of room to grow. Both will be top players in the league in a couple years time, and I agree, EJ should(I don't wanna say "will" just yet) be a #1 d-man, and Stewart should(same reason as EJ) be a 35-40 goal scorer.

No, it isn't a bad comparison but Johnson is a lot more aggressive than philips and way better offensively IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad