2010 NHL Draft: New Jersey Devils get few selections, fewer rewards at 2010 draft

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Did a quick search of the forum and there were two mentions of Dvorak before the draft, both by Devils1029, and in relation to our 3rd round pick not our 2nd:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=86670887&postcount=63

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=86855607&postcount=919

Thanks for validating as I knew someone mentioned Dvorak.

If you search my posts you will see that I had wanted us to take a few of the forwards still on the board, certainly not another defenseman at that spot.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thanks for validating as I knew someone mentioned Dvorak.

They mentioned Dvorak, but not in the context you were implying.

If you search my posts you will see that I had wanted us to take a few of the forwards still on the board, certainly not another defenseman at that spot.

I don't think you were alone in that. Most of us preferred a forward at #41. The problem being that none of us have to put our neck on the line. It's not that helpful to name a few forwards and then act incredulous if one of them ends up panning out.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They mentioned Dvorak, but not in the context you were implying.

I don't think you were alone in that. Most of us preferred a forward at #41. The problem being that none of us have to put our neck on the line. It's not that helpful to name a few forwards and then act incredulous if one of them ends up panning out.

It may be a premature opinion, but from what I have seen so far, I don't think Jacobs will pan out.

Shero should use him as trade bait in a larger deal.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Based on what?

He was just named to the Big 10 All Freshman Team with Zach Werenski who is going to be a top 10 pick soon...

http://btn.com/2015/03/16/big-ten-announces-all-big-ten-hockey-teams-and-individual-honors/

I got to see Jacobs when he played against Princeton. I completely disagree with the idea that he won't pan out. He was (and still is ) very raw and this was still early on in the season, but he was already playing on the top-pairing and in all situations (PP, PK, opponents' empty net). I really look forward to seeing his development further.

He looks like a real diamond pick, even though we were hoping for a forward. He's a long-term project, imo, but I really like what I've seen from him.

Tremendous two-way defenseman with a booming slap shot.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Jacobs being on Michigan State doesn't help either. Their offense only put up 2.37 goals per game, but they were still a .500 club thanks to their defense/goaltending. Jacobs got a regular shift, so that's encouraging. But if you were hoping Jacobs was going to put up video game numbers, you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

We'll see if Jacobs contends for a spot on the US WJC squad. It'd be encouraging if he gets a call to attend their summer camp.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I got to see Jacobs when he played against Princeton. I completely disagree with the idea that he won't pan out. He was (and still is ) very raw and this was still early on in the season, but he was already playing on the top-pairing and in all situations (PP, PK, opponents' empty net). I really look forward to seeing his development further.

He looks like a real diamond pick, even though we were hoping for a forward. He's a long-term project, imo, but I really like what I've seen from him.

Tremendous two-way defenseman with a booming slap shot.

And no goals to show for it this past season.

I watched him around 4 times this season, yeah he's young and raw but I did not like his foot speed not his feel for the game.

Let's revisit in 3 years.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The thing I hate about threads like this is when a discussion comes up about teams going through hot/cold spells in the draft, and someone says something like "even Detroit had a bunch of leans years in the mid-2000s" or something like that, and then I look and between 2003-2008, and they still pulled all of:

Howard
Quincey
Franzen
Kindl
Abdelkader
Helm
Matthias
Smith
Andersson
Nyquist

out of the draft. I mean...****, lol. And you could say they've definitely turned it around since then. Look at 2011, they might have picked an entire bottom-4 group of # in one draft, with Ouellet, Sproul, Backman (though he was traded for Cole), and Marchenko, and all those picks came after Jurco at #35 overall. Just insane.

In contrast to our abysmal 2010 draft, Detroit walked away with Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, and Mrazek. That probably would have been our entire second line and maybe even starting goaltender last season. :laugh:

Even more depressing if you look at where they've been selecting: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005492.html They've had 7 first-round picks since 2000, and the only one of them that's been a real hit (first line forward or top-pairing D) was Kronwall in 2000.

Last edited:

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
The thing I hate about threads like this is when a discussion comes up about teams going through hot/cold spells in the draft, and someone says something like "even Detroit had a bunch of leans years in the mid-2000s" or something like that, and then I look and between 2003-2008, and they still pulled all of:

Howard
Quincey
Franzen
Kindl
Abdelkader
Helm
Matthias
Smith
Andersson
Nyquist

out of the draft. I mean...****, lol. And you could say they've definitely turned it around since then. Look at 2011, they might have picked an entire bottom-4 group of # in one draft, with Ouellet, Sproul, Backman (though he was traded for Cole), and Marchenko, and all those picks came after Jurco at #35 overall. Just insane.

In contrast to our abysmal 2010 draft, Detroit walked away with Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, and Mrazek. That probably would have been our entire second line and maybe even starting goaltender last season. :laugh:

Even more depressing if you look at where they've been selecting: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005492.html They've had 7 first-round picks since 2000, and the only one of them that's been a real hit (first line forward or top-pairing D) was Kronwall in 2000.

Detroit seems to draft purely on IQ and skill. My roommate is a wings fan so we have had many discussions on the differences between Wings and Devils.

The wings do a great job at drafting forwards for the aforementioned reason. If you read the prospects forum before a draft, the Wings seem to take a lot of players that you'll see posters comment about because they have a ton of skill. When these players hit, they turn into great players.

On the flipside, the Wings are not very good at drafting defense. Look at the 2003-2008 defenceman you listed. Kindl is barely a bottom-pairing defender. Smith has his moments but is inconsitent and so is Quincey. It was so bad that they traded a first for Quincey a couple years back at the trade deadline. Not having a RH D was also a thorn in Babcocks side for years.

I'd like to think that the Devils will go more the Detroit path this year. We have players that project to be bottom 6 players. Lots of them. We need high end skill this year at the forward position.

The one comment I have to type is that there does not seem to be enough love given for how the Devils draft defense. Majority of the Devils D prospects are big and mobile. I love this drafting method and we all are definitely see it pay off.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would say our 2003 through 2008 is significantly better... Parise alone is better than that entire Detroit list but add

Parise
Zajac
Fanyne
Oduya
Greene
Clarkson
Halishuk who returned Arnott
Bergfors, Cormier who helped return Kovalchuk
Nick Palmieri who helped return Zidlicky

Henrique

Is wildly better quality than that Detroit list.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I would say our 2003 through 2008 is significantly better... Parise alone is better than that entire Detroit list but add

Parise
Zajac
Fanyne
Oduya
Greene
Clarkson
Halishuk who returned Arnott
Bergfors, Cormier who helped return Kovalchuk
Nick Palmieri who helped return Zidlicky

Henrique

Is wildly better quality than that Detroit list.
I don't think we should confuse making good trades with players we drafted with drafting well. IMO those are 2 seperate thing.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I watched him around 4 times this season, yeah he's young and raw but I did not like his foot speed not his feel for the game.

From the little I saw, I really liked his feel for the game. Might lack foot speed, but he's also a pretty darn big kid. Larsson also lacks foot speed and he was drafted 4th, and really appeared to be putting it together last season.

Now I was not a big fan of the pick at the time, absolutely prefered going fwd there, but that should not obscure the fact that he looks like a good player.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think we should confuse making good trades with players we drafted with drafting well. IMO those are 2 seperate thing.

Asset management really can't be separated...If the draft pick was good enough to return another asset, a good NHL caliber asset, how do we judge the value of that draft pick?

So if Christian Berglund only played 86 NHL games and Victor Uchevatov played none...

but those two returned Viktor Kozlov who played 897 NHL games (only 80 with NJ) what was the value of those two picks? Can you really say they were worth nothing?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

That is an interesting comment...I haven't seen him play this year so I really don't have an opinion...But everything I've read about him says his skating is his number 1 asset?

Joshua Jacobs is a good-sized defenceman with excellent skating ability. He has a long fluid stride, good top end speed, and explosive acceleration. Jacobs has excellent edgework and very good pivots. He is mobile and can change directions quickly. This allows him to close down space and lay some big hits against on-rushing defenders. His mobility also makes him difficult to beat one-on-one and gives him the ability to join the rush and help the Ice create offensive opportunities. -

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/05/20/2014-nhl-draft-profile-45-joshua-jacobs/

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Is a very good skater and athlete who effortlessly joins the rush from the back end. Can also play a physical game when he's on top of things.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?10812

Josh Jacobs is a big defenseman with a smooth skating stride, and that makes him a valuable commodity in this year's draft.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-profile-for-new-jersey-devils-2nd-round-pick

The scouting report from Greg Rajanen of NHL's Central Scouting: "Josh is a solid two-way defender and is still growing into his body. He moves well in all directions and handles the puck well. He can one-time the puck with good pace on his shot and is good at stick defending."

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...-overall-josh-jacobs-d-indiana-ushl-1.1045855

Jacobs excels in skating. He’s got strong, powerful strides that help him catch up to the opposition. His edgework is superb and his positioning is rarely out of place. For his size, he can easily knock players off the puck and take it the length of ice to gain the zone. Jacobs plays his angles well and is effective at pushing opposing players to the outside.

I can’t say enough good things about what Joshua Jacobs brought to the Indiana Ice this season, the first ever tender by the organization was worth his weight in gold. At 6-foot-2, and 195-pounds, he combines excellent size with tremendous mobility. He defends very well with his long reach and active stick, and can transition the puck up ice with smart, clean, crisp passes out of the zone. He is extremely dependable on the backend, and has a rocket of a shot, and is very good at getting those shots through which makes him a threat on the PP as well. He reminds me of hybrid of Jay Bouwmeester and Mike Green with his makeup, and has every chance of being an absolute thoroughbred at the next level.“

Dan Sallows – Indiana Ice scout

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Jacobs is a smooth skating two-way defenseman. He can grab the puck and skate it up ice or dish a strong stretch pass to a streaking forward. Closes off lanes and is willing to play physical in his zone. Has some mental lapses and many times his game has been hot or cold this season. (November 2013)”

Aaron Vickers – Future Considerations

http://thehockeywriters.com/josh-jacobs-the-next-ones-nhl-2014-draft-prospect-profile/

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Asset management really can't be separated...If the draft pick was good enough to return another asset, a good NHL caliber asset, how do we judge the value of that draft pick?

So if Christian Berglund only played 86 NHL games and Victor Uchevatov played none...

but those two returned Viktor Kozlov who played 897 NHL games (only 80 with NJ) what was the value of those two picks? Can you really say they were worth nothing?

Yes. Because it's evaluation of two different things.

If you are evaluating performance of scouting players yet to be drafted, then it's absolutely important to know if those players panned out. The ratio of good players to busts should be identified.

Since this conversation is re: drafting (and not re: how well we've done in trades), the fact that our picks didn't pan out seems very relevant.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes. Because it's evaluation of two different things.

If you are evaluating performance of scouting players yet to be drafted, then it's absolutely important to know if those players panned out. The ratio of good players to busts should be identified.

Since this conversation is re: drafting (and not re: how well we've done in trades), the fact that our picks didn't pan out seems very relevant.
That's fair.

But let me ask, if one team produces one player who scores 300 goals over a period and another team produces 4 players who produce 300 goals in the same period who drafted better?

And to another level, if you find an undrafted top pairing defenseman but another team drafts 3 4/5 types which scouts did a better job? Or if you draft a #1 and another team drafts a few 5/6, which scouts did better?

Parise, Zajac, Henrique add Clarkson and Fayne add Greene is a 1st line plus and a top D pairing in the 5 year time frame of 2003 through 2008.

To me that is more than enough talent to meet expectations and win. I consider that a very good record.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
That is an interesting comment...I haven't seen him play this year so I really don't have an opinion...But everything I've read about him says his skating is his number 1 asset?

From one of your sources listed (the Bleacher Report article I believe):

His cannon-like slap shot should make him an excellent weapon on the power play.

Something to consider...

When I saw him I really liked his skating, and I saw no problems with it whatsoever. He moved around the ice very fluidly.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
From one of your sources listed (the Bleacher Report article I believe):

Something to consider...

When I saw him I really liked his skating, and I saw no problems with it whatsoever. He moved around the ice very fluidly.

May I ask what month you saw him? I only ask because you mentioned it was early in the season.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
Re: Jacobs...

If I'm not mistaken, he played in every Spartans game this year. In addition to that, (as mentioned before) he played in all situations. He did all this as a true freshman in a tough conference. IMHO, his development / progression seems to be going pretty well. As it always is with prospects, how he builds on his past year is key. Right now, I see no reason as to why his positive progression shouldn't continue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad