2009 Cup Champion 10 Year Anniversary

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I graduated from college that year and had a really weird game 7 situation. My future wife and I were dating and her family invited me to their annual camping trip (staying in cabins at a Jellystone in Ohio isn't exactly camping but still). The trip overlapped with Game 7 but I couldn't say no so I went and had her grandma DVR the game for me. I turned off my phone that whole weekend and ignored all media so I could watch that Sunday afternoon not knowing who won. The problem was I started seeing a lot of campground guests with Penguin gear on so I had a hint they probably won (who wears Pens gear the day after a Cup loss unless you are a diehard?). Still, I was able to leave the campground and not know for sure who won. I watched the game on DVR in her grandma's living room. I had this confidence they were going to win the whole time but started getting really nervous near the end like I was wrong all along.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hmmm. That looks like an old quarry, to me. Are there hijinks?

You think Boo Boo is holdin? I mean... of course he is. Look at that guy.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
This Cup was extremely special for me for a few reasons:

- I live within an hour of Detroit and even before these 2 Finals I couldn't stand the Wings or their fans. Talk about arrogance...these clowns acted like it was their birthright to be in the Finals
- This was my first hockey season after my separation from my ex wife. So it was extremely satisfying to really come back to hockey and have them win it. I was seeing a girl during this playoff run who was uh....quite fun in her own right so I'll always have memories of that too
- I was at Game 2 in Detroit where Geno had the fight at the end of the game. My ex Brother in Law and I went to the game and we're freakin livid they didn't win that game. The entire ride home we were dumbfounded they didn't come away with a W. As someone else said, they completely dominated Games 1 & 2
- We do business with a former Wings player (who sadly passed away a few years ago), but before Game 6 he told my boss (he was a huge Wings fan himself) a few tidbits within the their room: 1) they didn't fully trust Osgood and were awaiting his meltdown and 2) Lidstrom had to have his testicles drained of fluid before every game, yet never complained 3) While the Wings definitely feared Malkin going off, they were really focused on clamping down on Sid
- Lastly, it was the montages that I really looked forward to. I know that sounds silly but the producer just hit every single pre game montage perfectly during that run. The Game 7 vs the Caps was probably my fav. Love that song and the video gives me chills every freakin time

I love stories like this and how sports are interwoven with our lives and memories or other events going on at the time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Philly....

cec55bf4bf60a3ec6776a805536d4a35.jpg

Oh, I loved the hell out of that CBS video and song Lazy Eye...

Fitting the groups name was Silversun Pickups...

I'll have to use that in a GDT.

A Silver Sun is looking into the bowl of the cup.

I'm sure some of you have done this in person. What a sight to see. Wanderers Lazy Eye....

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad