2009 Cup Champion 10 Year Anniversary

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It’s been 10 years already, (we’re all going to die very soon) since what was, in my opinion, the most story book finals of the salary cap era, and maybe ever.

Post your favourite memories of that team and that magical run.

A few notes rewatching the series highlights a decade later:

- Scuderi and Gill were good players but an awful pairing that should never have existed. Dreadful stuff.
- Orpik wasn’t as good as I remembered with the Free Candy hoopla out of the equation. He still chased hits and put Gonchar in a bad spot frequently.
- The league was much more violent even then and Cooke threw at least one suspend-able hit a game.
- That was still my favourite Cup win, it just had all the storylines and felt so improbable at times.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
When I think of shorthanded goal, or momentum changing goal, I still think of Staal’s goal. When I hear tictactoe I think Kunitz -> Crosby -> Kennedy.

I mean, that turn of events was amazing.

I thought we were about to be down 3-1 and 3-1 in the series after the penalty.

Especially given Malkin got completely hooked up on a SH breakaway like 20 seconds prior.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1) I'll never forget those first 2 games. We outplayed them so bad and lost. I couldn't believe it. I thought we absolutely owned them. I was in Vegas for those first 2 games. I was livid. We outplayed them by a country mile.

2) And another rando-thought, I skipped a Coldplay concert (they only come around ever 5-7 years) to watch Game 5. And we got shit stomped. :laugh: Luckily I went to the last one that was in 2016 I believe. So 7 long years all for that Game 5.

3) Staal's SHG was the absolute definition of turning point.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
No playoffs, playoffs, Cup final loss to legendary team, Cup final rematch and win game 7 on the road.

A ridiculously unrealistic and wonderful formula they put into the minds of every young team :laugh: it’s so hard to win.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No playoffs, playoffs, Cup final loss to legendary team, Cup final rematch and win game 7 on the road,

A ridiculously unrealistic and wonderful formula they put into the minds of every young team :laugh: it’s so hard to win.

Yeah, we haven’t seen a narrative like that since. I guess Chicago. But, the Pens and Kings back to backs and two cups weren’t young teams.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, we haven’t seen a narrative like that since. I guess Chicago. But, the Pens and Kings back to backs and two cups weren’t young teams.

Even Chicago didn’t have a back to back or rematch. It’s crazy. Also crazy that if the Pens had a better coach/strategy in 2008 that they could have even pushed that dominant 08 Wings team to 7 the first time.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
1) I'll never forget those first 2 games. We outplayed them so bad and lost. I couldn't believe it. I thought we absolutely owned them. I was in Vegas for those first 2 games. I was livid. We outplayed them by a country mile.

2) And another rando-thought, I skipped a Coldplay concert (they only come around ever 5-7 years) to watch Game 5. And we got **** stomped. :laugh: Luckily I went to the last one that was in 2016 I believe. So 7 long years all for that Game 5.

3) Staal's SHG was the absolute definition of turning point.

If I knew how truly hard it would be to get back after signing Sid/Geno/Staal and the East improving I would have lost my mind after game 2.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Even Chicago didn’t have a back to back or rematch. It’s crazy. Also crazy that if the Pens had a better coach/strategy in 2008 that they could have even pushed that dominant 08 Wings team to 7 the first time.

Winning game 5 in double OT(?) Just to make it 6 games helped the next year tho. And then coming seconds away frim forcing a game 7 gave them the confidence they needed.

Sykora with the GW.

What I do wish tho is they never got rid of Recchi before that. Yeah he wasnt playing well but always the type who played good in important games. Who knows if he could have helped that first final.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
That Staal goal makes reading every single one of those flame wars about drafting him too high so much more fun in hindsight.... Even though Toews would have scored twice ;)

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
This Cup was extremely special for me for a few reasons:

- I live within an hour of Detroit and even before these 2 Finals I couldn't stand the Wings or their fans. Talk about arrogance...these clowns acted like it was their birthright to be in the Finals
- This was my first hockey season after my separation from my ex wife. So it was extremely satisfying to really come back to hockey and have them win it. I was seeing a girl during this playoff run who was uh....quite fun in her own right so I'll always have memories of that too
- I was at Game 2 in Detroit where Geno had the fight at the end of the game. My ex Brother in Law and I went to the game and we're freakin livid they didn't win that game. The entire ride home we were dumbfounded they didn't come away with a W. As someone else said, they completely dominated Games 1 & 2
- We do business with a former Wings player (who sadly passed away a few years ago), but before Game 6 he told my boss (he was a huge Wings fan himself) a few tidbits within the their room: 1) they didn't fully trust Osgood and were awaiting his meltdown and 2) Lidstrom had to have his testicles drained of fluid before every game, yet never complained 3) While the Wings definitely feared Malkin going off, they were really focused on clamping down on Sid
- Lastly, it was the montages that I really looked forward to. I know that sounds silly but the producer just hit every single pre game montage perfectly during that run. The Game 7 vs the Caps was probably my fav. Love that song and the video gives me chills every freakin time

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
2007-2011 is my favourite hockey timeframe. Game went into the Undead Puck Era in 2011/2012. Things are pretty good again now as of 2016 but it’s missing the hate and violence.
I don't know about that. This current final is physical as hell and the hate seems incredibly apparent. Sure it definitely isn't as violent, but I'm okay with that if it means the players will all have normal lives after they retire.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Game 7 I was quite drunk when I get a call if I could work the next day for a couple hours. The boss really begged and said there will be a couple others working and should take 4 hours. Sure no problem.

We win, I kept the party going all night. Show up the next day severely under the weather. 1 guy no showed and another had to leave after an hour. I had to install soil, grade it and install turf ona steep hill for this property by myself. Took me 13 hours on a 100F day. If we hadn’t won the cup I would have snapped.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Also, Game 7 against the Caps was the best. I remember people (I was in high school at the time) trash talking me after the Caps went up 2-0 in the series. Then, with me super nervous in front of the TV on that summer night, they went on to route them in Game 7. Man...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Game 7 I was quite drunk when I get a call if I could work the next day for a couple hours. The boss really begged and said there will be a couple others working and should take 4 hours. Sure no problem.

We win, I kept the party going all night. Show up the next day severely under the weather. 1 guy no showed and another had to leave after an hour. I had to install soil, grade it and install turf ona steep hill for this property by myself. Took me 13 hours on a 100F day. If we hadn’t won the cup I would have snapped.

I don't even remember Game 7...I partied like it was 1999 (or '91, '92)...

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Also, Game 7 against the Caps was the best. I remember people (I was in high school at the time) trash talking me after the Caps went up 2-0 in the series. Then, with me super nervous in front of the TV on that summer night, they went on to route them in Game 7. Man...

Fleury's save on Ovechkin and Sid's breakaway goal after stripping Ovechkin at the blue line were my favourite moments of that game. f*** Ovechkin :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Fleury's save on Ovechkin and Sid's breakaway goal after stripping Ovechkin at the blue line were my favourite moments of that game. **** Ovechkin :laugh:

I was at a concert and while smart phones were a thing they were nowhere near what they are now.

I thought my phone was glitching out when I checked the score and it was like 6-1 lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->