2009 and 2010 top 30 prospects

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Here is my top 30 for 2009 and 2010 so far, the teams might not be correct on the side. 2009 is so deep that I had to leave out guys like Landon Ferraro, Holland and guys like that because this draft is so deep. 2010 is very deep as it is shaping up to be so far as well.

1. Victor Hedman—Defense—Modo U20
2. John Tavares—Center—Oshawa
3. Brayden Schenn—Forward—Brandon
4. Magnus Pääjärvi-Forward-Malmo J20
5. Jared Cowen—Defense—Saskatoon
6. Matthew Duchene—Center—Brampton
7. Toni Rajala—Forward—Ilves
8. Richard Panik—Forward—Trinec J18
9. Jordan Schroeder—Forward—NTDP
10. Oliver Roy-Bellevance—G—Cape Bre
11. Tomáš Vincour—Forward—Edmonton
12. Jordan Caron—Forward—Rimouski
13. Andre Kuchin—Center—CSKA
14. Jeremy Morin—Forward—US U17
15. Ryan O’Reilly—Forward—Erie
16. Simon Despres—Defense—Saint John
17. Evander Kane—Forward—Vancouver
18. Stefan Elliot—Defense—Saskatoon
19. Louis Leblanc—Forward—Quebec
20. Jimmy Bubnick—Forward—Kamloops
21. Anton Lander—Center—Timera J 18
22. Nazem Kadri—Forward—Kitchener
23. Steve Anthony—Forward—Saint John
24. William Wallen—LW—Djurg J18
25. Ryan Ellis—Defense—Windsor
26. Drew Shore—Forward—USA NTDP
27. Dmitry Kulikov—Defense—Russia
28. Jacob Josefsson—Forward—Djurg J18
29. Scott Glennie—Forward—Brandon
30. Hubert Labrie—Defense—Gatineau

2010 Top 30:

1. Taylor Hall—Forward—Kingston
2. Kirill Kabanov—Forward—Russia
3. Teemu Pulkkinen—Forward—Jokerit
4. Brandon Gormley—Defense—Moncton
5. Cam Fowler—Defense—OHL
6. John Mcfarland—RW—Sudbury
7. Mikael Granlund -Forward-Laser HT
8. Alexander Gogolev—Forward—Russia
9. Quinton Howden—Forward—Manitoba
10. Jon Merrill—Defense—Little Ceasers
11. Maxime Clermont—Goalie—Gatineau
12. Mark Pysyk—Defense—Albert
13. Viktor Öhman—Forward—Malmo
14. Riku Härmä—Goalie—Karpat
15. Kevin Sundher—Forward—WHL
16. Erik Gudbranson—Defense—Kingston
17. Emerson Etem—Forward—Shattuck
18. Adam Pettersson-Forward-Skellefteå J18
19. Austin Watson—Forward—Compuware
20. Vitaly Zotov—Defense—Russia
21. Filip Hanták—Forward—HC Sparta
22. Gašper Kopitar—Forward—HD Mladi
23. Joonas Donskoi—Forward—Karpat
24. Gregg McKegg—Forward—OHL
25. Petr Straka—Forward—HC Plzen
26. Jared Knight—Forward—Compuware
27. Chase Balisy—Defense—Jr Canadiens
28. Luke Moffat—Forward—USA
29. Maxim Kitsyn—Forward—Metallurg
30. Johan Gustafsson—Goalie—Koping

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
Impressive looking lists! But, no John Henrion? Where would you have him ranked?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Interesting list as a whole. If you can get Jared Cowen with the fifth pick, than this really is the best draft since '03. 25th is by far the lowest I've seen Ellis. Any particular reasons why you aren't as high on him as everyone else seems to be?

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Brandon Regier may make that 2010 list, also Miller and Stone......

I don't know if he's eligible for 2010 but that Edmonton player that Brandon drafted Klarc Wilson is suppposed to be pretty good, although I think he's 2011 now that I think about it.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Interesting list as a whole. If you can get Jared Cowen with the fifth pick, than this really is the best draft since '03. 25th is by far the lowest I've seen Ellis. Any particular reasons why you aren't as high on him as everyone else seems to be?

Well I only saw Ellis play twice last year, impressed me both times I think he has star potential, but the players in front of him I saw a bit more and loved them as well, really deep draft though guys ranked for the 2nd round I would like to move up to the first round but I find it hard to because it is so deep. But I love Ellis and he will probably move up in the draft.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Well I only saw Ellis play twice last year, impressed me both times I think he has star potential, but the players in front of him I saw a bit more and loved them as well, really deep draft though guys ranked for the 2nd round I would like to move up to the first round but I find it hard to because it is so deep. But I love Ellis and he will probably move up in the draft.

I like you're ranking of Ellis at #25. This year Del Zotto got ripped on for his defense and what not. Well Ellis is smaller than Del Zotto, he isn't as good of a skater, and he is less physical and his positioning is probably on par with Del Zotto so I really can't see why people think he is going to go higher than #20 (Del Zotto) in a stronger draft (09 vs 08).

Ellis has a ridiculous shot, an unbelievable defenseman on the PP, but right now he needs a TON of work on every other aspect before I look at him as a blue chip NHL prospect.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I like you're ranking of Ellis at #25. This year Del Zotto got ripped on for his defense and what not. Well Ellis is smaller than Del Zotto, he isn't as good of a skater, and he is less physical and his positioning is probably on par with Del Zotto so I really can't see why people think he is going to go higher than #20 (Del Zotto) in a stronger draft (09 vs 08).

Ellis has a ridiculous shot, an unbelievable defenseman on the PP, but right now he needs a TON of work on every other aspect before I look at him as a blue chip NHL prospect.

Because Ellis has an amazing hockey IQ. Tremendous Dman for his size. If he was 6.2 he'd be up their in the top 3 of the draft.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I like the lists... at this point, it's more about having the right names on the radar, as opposed to the order they're in; it seems you've done a pretty good job, even for 2010, which is a ways away yet. What about the two Danes Svendsen and Mieritz, though? I personally think they've both got top 30 talent right now. Again, only my opinion.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I can speak only about Europeans but Kuchin is too high, his size(generously 5'9) and character issues alone will make him a late 1st rounder at best. He never really dominated International competition like Filatov for example.

Can't really see why so much hype for Kulikov. Seems that you just needed a Russian in your rankings.;) Just for Europe I would have taken Manelius or Myllari or Erixon or Rundblad ahead of him. Myllari already played senior hockey and is huge, but that's my opinion.

For 2010, I can only say that Kitsyn will not be a 1st rounder, if you want size Liljegren(6'4 216) or Kunhackl are better choices if you want skill then you have Janos Hari or Barbashev.

In the end, there's Jan Krasovski, best defenseman of U16 tournament. Pretty good and big(6'1 215) defenseman fom Russia.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I can speak only about Europeans but Kuchin is too high, his size(generously 5'9) and character issues alone will make him a late 1st rounder at best. He never really dominated International competition like Filatov for example.

Can't really see why so much hype for Kulikov. Seems that you just needed a Russian in your rankings.;) Just for Europe I would have taken Manelius or Myllari or Erixon or Rundblad ahead of him. Myllari already played senior hockey and is huge, but that's my opinion.

For 2010, I can only say that Kitsyn will not be a 1st rounder, if you want size Liljegren(6'4 216) or Kunhackl are better choices if you want skill then you have Janos Hari or Barbashev.

In the end, there's Jan Krasovski, best defenseman of U16 tournament. Pretty good and big(6'1 215) defenseman fom Russia.

yeah I wanted to put Liljegren in the 1st round or Skog from sweden as well, personally I saw Kitsyn play and he is not all that, very fast and great puck handler but does not accomplish much beyond that IMO, but as of right now, his speed and puck skills are amazing so with two years before he is drafted I am just giving him the benifit of the doubt at the moment.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
yeah I wanted to put Liljegren in the 1st round or Skog from sweden as well, personally I saw Kitsyn play and he is not all that, very fast and great puck handler but does not accomplish much beyond that IMO, but as of right now, his speed and puck skills are amazing so with two years before he is drafted I am just giving him the benifit of the doubt at the moment.

Hmm Landeskog you mean? Well he is late 92 so only 2011.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Hmm Landeskog you mean? Well he is late 92 so only 2011.

OMG HAHA I put Mattias Skog who is a 93 born prospect from Sweden with the 2010 draft class, I would put Joey Hishon where I had SKog then, I agree Hishon should be a top 30 prospect but as of right now getting him in the top 30 well I look and think who should I take out.

Landeskog is awsome eh, I saw him play and he is great, I have Ladeskog in my top 10 for 2011, Skog I have 31st overall right now for 2011.

Last edited:

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
OMG HAHA I put Mattias Skog who is a 93 born prospect from Sweden with the 2010 draft class, I would put Joey Hishon where I had SKog then, I agree Hishon should be a top 30 prospect but as of right now getting him in the top 30 well I look and think who should I take out.

Landeskog is awsome eh, I saw him play and he is great, I have Ladeskog in my top 10 for 2011, Skog I have 31st overall right now for 2011.

Scout, can you please post your updated 2011 list? On the newly started 2011 thread, I refered the thread originator back to your 2011 top 30 list from February, but it would be great to have your updated 2011 list, too. Thanks.

WinCityHypeMachine

May 26, 2008
Great list and terrific job scoutman.

I do have one question though if you don't mind answering.

I just want to hear your insight as to why you ranked Moffat below Knight & Watson. All three played for Detroit Compuware last season, and while all 3 were very impressive, Moffat had the best season of the trio in my eyes. Of course, the draft rankings at the moment would also be taking into account potential, so I would just like to hear the reasoning from a pretty good poster.

I would have all three too in the first round if the draft was today by the way, but those 3 are some of the most comparable prospects since they all played on the same team, same situation.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
I'm okay with your top 15 scoutman... Nazeem Kadri should be higher though. Especially comming out of the evaluation camps where he was the youngest player and apparently the absolute best perfomer wire-to-wire. I love evander kane (as everyone and their blind aunt betsy probably knows ;), but kadri's ahead of him right onw (I mean he was in the SENIOR team canada camp) Also steven anthony being in the top 30 right now is being really generous. He came in with a lot of rep and that should count for something, but the 2009 draft is right now so full of players that are ahead of the curve in their potential (tavares, hedman, kadri, kane, schenn) that guys like anthony and even ferraro are probably more in the late 30-50's range for me)

also (and I know deangamblin's gonna hate me for this ;) I REALLY think scott glennie's gonna end up being a second rounder at best (unless he performs REALLY well while brayden's gone this year). he's a good player and all but I have a feeling the scouts are gonna see him as suffering from "I-skated-with-wayne-gretzky-itis" ....that is, I was the wing man of a great player. This is going to be a very competitive year that's for sure... the only person I feel really sorry for is taylor hall. He's definately keeping up, step for step with the 2009's and yet he's a 2010 :(

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Great list and terrific job scoutman.

I do have one question though if you don't mind answering.

I just want to hear your insight as to why you ranked Moffat below Knight & Watson. All three played for Detroit Compuware last season, and while all 3 were very impressive, Moffat had the best season of the trio in my eyes. Of course, the draft rankings at the moment would also be taking into account potential, so I would just like to hear the reasoning from a pretty good poster.

I would have all three too in the first round if the draft was today by the way, but those 3 are some of the most comparable prospects since they all played on the same team, same situation.

I see Watson having a big boom soon with his talent IMO. Knight and Moffat well I just got their names on the list really, I wanted to work both in the 1st round and had Moffat in my 2nd so I just worked him into the draft, not really doing much with my draft untill December though so rankings have not changed much since last year.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
also (and I know deangamblin's gonna hate me for this ;) I REALLY think scott glennie's gonna end up being a second rounder at best (unless he performs REALLY well while brayden's gone this year). he's a good player and all but I have a feeling the scouts are gonna see him as suffering from "I-skated-with-wayne-gretzky-itis" ....that is, I was the wing man of a great player. (
Glennie is such a hard guy to try and project, he is speedy and skilled but maybe a little injury prone? Sometimes the moves he makes wows the whole crowd, and he's brave in front of the net, had his first dub fight. Then other times he makes an unpredictable move on ice, and the guys look at him strange!! I will tell you this, he learnt a lot in a hurry last year, the firs 1/4 of the season he was not great defensively, Kelly Mac benched him a couple times after errors, and he soon started playing better defensively. He was a good scorer in AAA, but i agree, the scouts will have him ranked all over the board, from 15th to 50th!!

WinCityHypeMachine

May 26, 2008
I see Watson having a big boom soon with his talent IMO. Knight and Moffat well I just got their names on the list really, I wanted to work both in the 1st round and had Moffat in my 2nd so I just worked him into the draft, not really doing much with my draft untill December though so rankings have not changed much since last year.

Yeah, I could totally understand Watson having a lot of untapped potential too. He's 6'3" and using his size really hasn't been one of his strengths yet. For me, he for sure has the skills and skating to fit as a Top-20 pick, once his pro body fills out a little more as he grows and he adds that as one of his major assets, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him reaching Lottery pick (Top 14). Some of his skills (which he's already very good) look like he can improve too; it could be scary once he puts it all together. One of the more intriguing prospects in 2010 in my opinoin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad